Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
I tend to believe that at some point, we had some intuitive sense about what we should be eating. So for instance, the body senses a deficiency in certain vitamins that are high in organ meat, we taste organ meat, it tastes "more-ish", we eat the organ meat. Body needs protein, you crave an Angus steak (based on previous tasting of a steak, and how the body reads it). Uncivilized animals seem to operate this way, why wouldn't we before the advent of modern foods and advertising.

I also tend to believe that we had (like animals) an intuitive sense of what would poison us (before refined sugar). Certain compounds would send an immediate signal that this was not edible. Now that we are eating "parmesan cheese" made out of wood fiber, we've completely lost the ability to pick up on those subtle signals. And of course if you are starving, you'll eat just about anything in desperation. So if our bodies are "starving" for nutrition, and we're just filling our stomach with crap, not getting the vital nutrients we need, then we'll just keep eating to try and fill that void--even if it should signal as "poison".

Very good points, I think when you're hooked on sugar and grains it seems to mess with your instincts about what will truly nourish you. It takes a while on HFLC to test and work things out for yourself; you start to discover what gives you energy, clear thinking, feeling vitalized; and what triggers cravings, aches and pains, etc. But it just takes a while and you have to pay attention.

I know I do really well with root vegetables, even if they do have carbs. But even a little fruit, which used to be OK, triggers cravings for me; yet a little dark chocolate is OK (maybe because of added fat of cocoa butter). I also have to watch eating large meals at once, even though that seems to be an IF practice, just a large amount of food at one sitting seems to be insulogenic (think I read something about that somewhere).