Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 20:01

Plan: SB
Stats: 189/189/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question New...with questions

Hi everyone! I've been doing this diet for about 2 weeks now. My past was very dubious - starved and binged on sugar as an adolescent, lost 80 lbs in my 20's with a low-fat diet and loads of exercise, but over the last 10 or more years I've leaned towards whole foods and lots of fiber. After having twins (they are 4 now) I have not been able to lose weight. Weight Watchers doesn't work for me anymore. The SP makes sense and appeals to me. My problem is I am having trouble figuring out how many carbs to eat. I know I have some insulin resistance because I have PCOS, but my fasting insulin levels are normal. I know that my adrenal glands are at least partially burned out, but I don't know how badly. Is it possible to heal quickly? I started out eating 15 grams of carbs at each meal/snack, then found I was waking up hungry so I increased to 20. I was feeling great and sleeping amazingly but all of the sudden I have headaches and am way too irritable (not good when you have two four year olds pushing your buttons!) I didn't have any chemicals to get off of - before starting this diet my only sugar came from Luna Bars and small amounts of dark chocolate. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Beth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-08, 15:18

Plan: SPII
Stats: 223/223/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

Beth, I'm new here, too (first post!) and I'm anxious for an answer to your question. How can you tell how "healed" you are and what to do next? What's up with the headaches and irritability? Where are all the SPers?

btw, it's nice to meet you. I have a 4yo son and an 8yo daughter. No time for irritability. It's hard enough as it is!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 10:29

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for the reply!

Hi PattyKate,

Nice to meet, you, too. I don't think there are too many people here. I did a lot of reading before I posted, and a lot of the threads are from 03.

I did figure out my problem, though. My Whole Foods sells these crackers and tortillas from a local bakery, and for a while life got hectic and I didn't have time to cook, so that's all I ate for carbs. Well, a serving has 11 grams of carbs but 10 are fiber, and though the SP program doesn't say to subtract fiber I think I just wasn't getting enough carbs. When I experimented by eating other things I felt a whole lot better.

The SPII book has a list of symptoms that let you know when you need to add carbs. I originally started eating 15 grams at meals and snacks but was waking up hungry, so I increased the carbohydrate at my meals and that did the trick.

How long have you been doing the program?

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 07:50

BF:
Progress:

Beth, I just found the book a few weeks ago and I've been reading alot. I got SPII from Amazon and The Schwarzbein Program from the library, so I've been back and forth.

This is the first real explanation I have heard to help me understand what has happened to my body since I quit smoking. Adrenal Fatigue is definitely a big factor in my weight gain.

I quit in Nov 2006, so it's been about 14 months. I gained 35 pounds pretty quickly, then last summer began eating more and healing, even though I didn't know that was what I was doing. I just felt so much better when I added more calories, I knew I was waaaay off.

Last fall I went to an Alternative Medicine center (Great Smokies in Asheville, NC) and had alot of testing done. My insulin levels were great...to the surprise of me and the doc...so we have me on lots of supplements and Adrenal Support, plus Iron and B-12 injections. I'm feeling sooo much better, but I've gained a total of almost 50 pounds since I quit smoking.

Schwazbein says it's possible for me to have a healthy metabolism that sheds fat. I don't know, it's so tempting to just cut calories to 1200 a day and increase the exercise, but that just flies in the face of everything she says. And I know, intuitively, she's right.

Any and all advice or encouragement is appreciated. I can't believe you can keep your carbs at 15 a meal/snack. I find that impossible! Which is part of my problem since I'm self-medicating with carbs. But you are doing great! I'm glad you found out what was giving you headaches and irritability. That was easy! Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 14:16

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hi Beth and Patty,

This forum doesn't get a lot of hits, but the best way to keep up is reading and posting in journals of others that eat whole foods, a la SP.

I have a loooooong winded and quite opinionated journal, but in between all the junk, you will find a 6 year journey of weight loss, with things learned, things changed, things celebrated, etc. Reading through it, you will find a lot of answers to your ?s.

When you have a few hours to read, I suggest reading through my journal and seeing if that helps, at all.

Also, I highly recommend reading her latest book, which is entitles THE PROGRAM. It touches on amounts and all the things that she missed in the first and second (her worst in my opinion) book.

To get to my journal, simply click on the little button at the bottom of my post JOURNAL and it will take you there. From there, you can bookmark it so you receive notice when a posting is made.

Great to meet you. Eat well (most of the time at least).

--Betty
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 19:14

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Betty, I actually spent two hours reading your journal one morning when I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't sleep! I will visit you again.

PattyKate, I'd be interested in hearing about that Alternative Center. My parents live not too far from there and when I visit this summer I might look into it. Can you click on my name and send me an email?

I live in South Florida and am looking for places to get my adrenals tested and my hormones adjusted. I started the pill a year ago because of low estradiol, and I'd really like to do hormone replacement instead. Just have to find somebody to do it properly. The Program is a lot different from SPII - seems gentler. This week I have felt horrible - I think I'm crashing from stress and not sleeping - my son has had some medical issues for the last 6 weeks, and while we've got a course of action now it's been really busy and incredibly stressful. I will probably need to medicate with fruit. Yesterday I medicated with a whole lot of sugar - not good!

I agree with you that this diet just makes sense. A few years ago I was on a doctor supervised low-carb diet and I was allowed to eat 4 chocolate caramel protein bars a day. They were delicious and I lost about 15 lbs, but I just kept thinking that this really wasn't the way I should be eating for the rest of my life.

Congrats on getting off cigarettes! I know that is not easy to do.

Oh - I paid for the Schwarzbein testing and am going to do that soon - will let you know how it goes.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 08:34

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Betty, I have peeked into your journal and your food logs are very helpful. I'll look more closely for your opinions I'm really interested in what you think! Like, why you don't care for SPII? I have both books. But, I'll go a-lurking. Thank you!

Beth, Great Smokies website is www.gsmcweb.com but I'll email you the link.

(Beth, in your Profile, your contact info is blank. I hope I'm not missing how to contact you off the boards. Sorry!)

Please take your SP testing with you if you go in this summer. You don't want to duplicate testing, and Great Smokies is a "pay up front-file your own insurance" place.

I found that most of the SP testing I could get was similar to what I already had done at Great Smokies. I have not had any hormone testing done yet (besides Thyroid and Insulin).

From the reading I've been doing, I think its a great idea get off the BC Pills and onto a Bioidentical Hormone. That's not just from the Schwarzbein books either. It's all over in the research I've been doing.

I'm going to Great Smokies next week. I'll let you know what happens next, and I'd love to hear about the SP testing you ordered. Exciting!

-Kathy-
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 03:29

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 140/137/115 Female 60"
BF:Not Sure
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBetty
Also, I highly recommend reading her latest book, which is entitles THE PROGRAM. It touches on amounts and all the things that she missed in the first and second (her worst in my opinion) book.

I so agree, Betty. The second book is a little scary, IMO. I know I'm doing TSP to get healthy, but to think I'm going to GAIN MORE weight before I start losing is not a happy thought. I understand the concept, but it didn't make me happy to read it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 16:52

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

JP you might not gain weight, just eat til you are satisfied and only whole foods and you will do well. God has created a very adaptive, resilient and self-healing body. You eat whole foods, your body will heal. Have confidence in your body's ability to regulate your appetite, and stay away from fake foods most of the time. Initially, the cleaner the eat, the faster you heal and will be able to metabolize. Well, I've said enough. I'm on my way to a solid 100 pound weight loss any day here. What do I know?

...... only took 6 years for pete's sake.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 18:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/245 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 143%

"[QUOTE=TheBetty]JP you might not gain weight, just eat til you are satisfied and only whole foods and you will do well. God has created a very adaptive, resilient and self-healing body. You eat whole foods, your body will heal. Have confidence in your body's ability to regulate your appetite, and stay away from fake foods most of the time. Initially, the cleaner the eat, the faster you heal and will be able to metabolize."

Hay All, I just got done reading the first book and my version of "atkins on going weight loss" is very close to SP, my carb intake of non starchy veggies and little fruit and some whole grains is about 15 to 20 grams per meal and I am still losing weight, not a fast as when I was at 20 grams a day, but a pound or 2 a week, and I am eating untill I am full and happy . so do it to feel better, you will, and take the weight loss as a bonus.

I am going to look for "the program" ( the third book, right?) I find reading about LC WOE helps keep me motivated! Best of luck.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 06:45

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 157/152/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hello! May I join you?

I've been on SP for about a month now, and feel better since adding some healthy whole grains to my diet. Carbs help my mood, and I really needed more starchy carbs, like SP encourages.

I am working on figuring out any carb allergies at this point. This has been interesting because I never saw myself has having any food allergies before.

Her 3rd book does seem more restrictive, but I think we are all so different that we need to experiment with what works for us. In an earlier SP book, she said that we don't have to worry about monitoring protein and good fats because the body will find its point of satiety with them. It is the carbs that need to be both high quality and monitored. This makes total sense to me as a former carb-junkie.

So far, I haven't lost weight, but am not surprised since I am in perimenopause and hypothyroid. Until my doc and I optimize my meds, I may not lose, but am already feeling better in terms of mood and improved energy. I haven't gained but a 1/2 a pound, also, which is not much considering it is possible to gain when starting SP.

I love the ultimate goal of SP- to heal the metabolism. This makes so much more sense than a number on the scale.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 13:09

Stats: 225/218/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm new too & am happy to have found this list - I've been doing SP for a little over a week - I've only read the first book & that seems quite enough for right now, I'll read more soon. I've requested her weight loss (Losing Weight the Healthy Way) one from the library but I don't think they have SP II.

I was surprised to find I've lost a bit of weight - since I'm overweight & have years of sugar bingeing and dieting too, I thought I'd need a period of healing first. So I want to be careful not to get discouraged if the weight loss stops.

I'm kind of skeptical about her suggestion to take hormone replacement therapy - I'm postmenopausal, it's been a loooong time since I've had a period & I've never taken any HRT & it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. Any oldtimers have any thoughts on this?

ZanyZoe
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 13:14

BF:

Ooops! I can see that my stats are wrong - it says "Just general" for my program when it should say "Schwarzbein" - also my weight stats are wrong, this time I started at 222 and am now 218. I'm looking for where to change these but can't see it - how do I change these?

ZanyZoe
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 05:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Beckya and Zanyzoe

I did some Schwarzbein testing and found that I was sensitive to gluten. When I researched how to eat gluten-free, the books said that many people are gluten-sensitive and don't know it. They also said that if you are you would feel dramatically better in 2 weeks if you eliminated it completely. That was definitely true with me. I've had ulcerative colitis since 1985 and after 2 weeks my symptoms completely went away and I went off my meds. It's been a month now. My hard bloated stomach went down to a squishy, flabby tummy. Now if I can lose weight and turn it into a hard, flat tummy I'll be very happy!

I also found I was allergic to soy, dairy, eggs and almonds. My diet is even more restrictive than the third book but suprisingly I find I am happy to do it because I feel so much better and am finally losing weight.

Zanyzoe - I know I have a damaged metabolism because I did a lot of testing. My adrenals are burned out and I am on my way to insulin-resistance, but I found I am losing weight slowly - maybe a size in 2 months. I was told it would take a while for me to heal - 6 months to a year at least, but I'll take whatever weight loss comes during that time. The 2nd book has a lot of info but the recommendations are out of date - she no longer requires you eat full fat dairy products, and that is what made me gain 7 pounds in 3 weeks (and then made me desperate enough to pay for the testing.)

Good luck!

Beth
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 07:34

BF:

Thanks Beth for your thoughts on this - I think I must have a damaged metabolism too, but my main problems from it are being overweight, being a sugar addict (and bingeing) and also high blood presure & for the first time now high cholesterol.

I really can't afford the testing, I'm pretty broke - and I haven't read anything yet but the first book - I have the second one requested from the library & that's all they have. She no longer suggests full-fat dairy products? No butter and/or cream? That's sad, I've been enjoying them LOL. Well, journey on .... I'm leaving on a trip for a week today.

ZZ