Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 01:59

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Bee's diet

Have you heard of Bee's Yahoo group, candidasupport ? I joined a few weeks ago (I just found out about my candida problem), and her file section has so much information, the equivalent of a book, and all for free. She really cares about people! Hers is the diet that I will try--I hope to feel better and lose weight, too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 21:38

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

thanx for the info........I will look it up!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 19:43

Plan: Duncan's choice
Stats: 165/160/160 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Bee's diet on the candidasupport list is full of candida myths that we have busted, with references, mind you, on the candidiasis group.

We've been using -- as CORE THERAPY -- several things Bee doesn't approve of:

Undenatured whey

inulin

potassium supplement

selenium supplement

...and alcohol and vinegar are OK though not part of a diet, just part of the myth structure Bee has woven.

I feel sorry for Bee's readers.

The candidiasis group is the largest and most scientific candida group on the Internet for good reason http://groups.yahoo.com/group/candidiasis/

We now have quite a few members who adopted the "taboo" supplements as the core part of their candida program they should be, and who got results in a couple of months where they did not in more than a year on the candidasupport (Bee's) suggestions.

Ask them

Duncan Crow
(a wholistic consultant in Canada)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 21:20

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 137/127.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:24.5/23/20
Progress: 78%

Hi Duncan, about the whey protein...why do you suggest this? Because of the amino acids? I started using it, but feel I am now getting too much protein and stalling my weight loss. Couldn't I just take amino acid supplements? I'm going to start weaning off the Asacol on monday...been taking the inulin, probiotics, selenium, and much more, and feel I am ready to get off these drugs. Also, do you know...does Asacol cause weight gain/prevent weight loss?

Thanks for all your advice on the candidiasisgroup...been on there for months

Julie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 10:29

BF:
Progress:

The undenatured whey and selenium is one of the most important healing foods one can eat; they represent the shortest path to wellness by increasing the body's master antioxidant and detoxifier glutathione.

You're better off reducing any other protein than the most easily assimilated one you could eat. Undenatured whey is alkalizing, unlike other proteins.

Some components in whey also directly curb pathogen adhesion.

Bowel lining toxins cause irritation, diarrhea, leaky gut syndrome and bowel perforation. Glutathione, the master antioxidant to protect the bowel lining is made by every cell; the bowel lining can be completely depleted of glutathione on the irritated patches, which allows relatively unchecked free radical damage on the bowel lining.

The immune response of the bowel lining is said to be the seat of the immune response because microbes continually seek to access the body by breaching the lining. Glutathione is the main antioxidant the immune cells use; when glutathione is low, infection is stimulated, and vice versa. Since in any bowel infestation including candida there's a threat of systemic involvement, it's beneficial to support immune response.

Glutathione is the primary support of the liver, kidneys and bowel lining; as one detoxifies it's very beneficial to elevate glutathione to mop up whatever toxins are released to the circulation and the liver. Failing to do that allows more toxic symtoms we call "die-off", also called oxidative stress, which is quite damaging and unnecessary.

Amino acids in the whey also support fast regeneration of bowel lining, which helps to clear leaky gut and repair bowel lining perforations that might be caused by the corticosteroids that are usually give for IBD.

That's an executive summary; the glutathione references on my site go into it more fully:
http://members.shaw.ca/duncancrow/g...references.html

For example, see the review of studies that used undenatured whey and high glutathione to fight cancer, including bowel cancer, which is an elevated risk in IBD.

The amino acids you'd need to replace undenatured whey with are many, as it's a complete protein but you could start with cystine, glutamine, glycine, and lysine.

Asacol suppresses biological function of the bowel lining and provides a liver load as the liver detoxifies whatever is absorbed. Once you're on a biologically supportive diet for awhile you shouldn't get any benefit from it, and arguably, a suppressed biology is not a good thing anyway as cellular impairment leads to reduced mitochondrial ATP generation and cell death, which is behind bowel perforation.

Duncan
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 21:52

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncancrow
Bee's diet on the candidasupport list is full of candida myths that we have busted, with references, mind you, on the candidiasis group.

We've been using -- as CORE THERAPY -- several things Bee doesn't approve of:

Undenatured whey

inulin

potassium supplement

selenium supplement

...and alcohol and vinegar are OK though not part of a diet, just part of the myth structure Bee has woven.

I feel sorry for Bee's readers.

The candidiasis group is the largest and most scientific candida group on the Internet for good reason http://groups.yahoo.com/group/candidiasis/

We now have quite a few members who adopted the "taboo" supplements as the core part of their candida program they should be, and who got results in a couple of months where they did not in more than a year on the candidasupport (Bee's) suggestions.

Ask them

Duncan Crow
(a wholistic consultant in Canada)
OK, I'll join sometime and read what you have to say. Fighting yeast is somewhat new to me, so I still have lots to learn.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 09:42

BF:
Progress:
Default new group for anti-candida diet

The candidasis group was overtaken in 2010 by a man with a gift of gab, pleasant to the moderator but of little skill, the professed naturopath Wil Spencer. His glib comments are practically worthless; the best anti-candida information is now on this yahoogroup:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coconut_oil_open_forum

And yes, this group is all about low-carbing.

See you there
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 10:14

Plan: Atkins, Anti-Candida diet
Stats: 128/121.2/118 Female 5'5"
BF:hip/waist ratio
Progress: 68%

I was trilled when I first found out about Bee's group, but as I kept reading her advice, I realized that she didn't really know what she was talking about. For example, if she is not sure about a certain ingredient, she simply says that it's not allowed to eat! What kind of approach is that? She said this about coconut milk too. After that, I just stopped going to her site.

Duncan, thanks for the link to that other yahoo group. I am going to check it out.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 23:51

BF:
Progress:
Default No- not Bee's diet (warning)

I'd be wary of Bee's advice; the very things she doesn't like in all her (small) wisdom are well supported for recovery in the research on bowel health. For example the core therapy of inulin, whey, and selenium used by many people who successfully rid themselves of candida in a few months when Bee's diet did not accomplish that in even two years.

She's not so caring either; she lies and she blames you when she gets the proigram wrong and she's very wrong on several crucial matters. Actual harm has come of her advice. Here's what several people with that experience have pointed out, including the moderator of another candida group:
http://members.shaw.ca/duncancrow/comments.html

Low-carbing is the only thing the diets have in common; that part is correct.

You're better off on the coconut oil list; they are low-carb, high fat:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coconut_oil_open_forum

all good,

Duncan
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Thank you Duncan,
Really appreciate the solid advice. I've been looking a lot at Bee's website and it's great to hear some sound advice.
Cheers
Sue