Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Hi, Im Melanie, Back to low carbing...

I lost 60 lbs on Atkins diet back in 03... alot has happened since then, I had a double lung transplant in 2010, and have done really well with it, I have been very blessed... been enjoying life, and all of the sudden I have ballooned up to 228 lbs... I have been trying to lose doing low fat, but I like to eat... feel like I am starving, and am not seeing much weight loss either, so I have decided to go back to low carb diet. I started today. I am happy to be here, and am hoping to find some of my old favorite recipes, I really like the mock danish, and there was one with cream cheese and sf jello I am hoping to find again. I am going to be very strict with induction, and get into ketosis, I am looking forward to getting my weight down, and getting back into my clothes again. And of course will be alot healthier on my lungs. So here is to low carbing Good Luck everyone...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 22:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Melanie, Welcome Back!
Nice to see another Texas girl here
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-19, 04:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, Melanie!
A lot has happened in the past 16 years. Glad your health crisis resolved so well. There have also been many changes in the low carb world, for one, everyone calls it Keto now even if they eat no where near true Ketogenic macros. and the emphasis on real food. Whatever it is called, there are so many new books, cookbooks, and resources like DietDoctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/guides to use along with Atkins that you can explore here. Look around the various sub-forums, brush off your journal, update your profile and use this forum however best to support your journey. All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-19, 08:44

Stats: 221.0/212.2/170 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Hi Melanie!

Hi, Melanie, I'm Jen. I have a similar story - lost 30 pounds on LC about 15 years ago. Now it's all back (almost) and I've decided to just get a grip and stop this downslide.

These forums helped me a LOT the first time around - it became a therapy group for me.

Best of luck on your journey.

Jen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-19, 11:25

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hello Melanie....congratulations on your lung transplant and best of luck with that. I have copd and I am on oxygen 24/7, so I can imagine how wonderful it must be to breathe on your own again .

welcome back to low carb eating. I too have lost, gained back and lost again. I have been losing now for several years, slowly, yes, but losing. This is the best way, the easiest way to get there as you found out when you tried the low fat route. Fat is so important to our health and this diet will allow you to eat fats that will keep you satisfied and help you to lose.

Lots of good recipes on this board and on the internet. Best of luck!

Last edited by Lbangle : Sun, Mar-03-19 at 11:25. Reason: misspelled word
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-19, 17:25

Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Ibangle, keep on keeping on, I have really made a mistake letting my weight creep up like it has, it is a lot harder on me being heavy. It is a lot harder to get exercise, I huff and puff, I know it is a must for me to do this, I hope you do well, and maybe you too can have new lungs and breathe easier I will pray for you. I am on day 2 now, and I am really liking this a lot better than lowfat. I am really wondering about my rejection drugs, and hope they do not have carbs. I have looked and looked for info but am coming up short. I am going to stick with LC and see how it goes, have ordered some keto test strips so I can see if I am getting into ketosis, as I am afraid if I dont, because of medicine, I will gain more weight eating this way. I had mock danish for breakfast this morning, and after low fat, it tasted heavenly I used liquid splenda, and it was great. For lunch I had some ring sausage, no sugar or carbs. and I had made myself a glass of lemonade with that squirt stuff... I am satisfied, and not hungry at all. Feel like this is going to work much better for me. I appreciate all the encouragement... Thanks all of you
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-19, 05:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I am in another group where some members are have serious medical issues. You can fret about if your medication might hinder weight loss, but if ever getting off it is not an option (rejection drug?) don’t spend time with that worry. One woman is paralyzed from the chest down and cannot even stand much less exercise and she lost 50 pounds in one year. I was on a hormonal cancer drug for a while. The medications may slow your rate of loss, but not cause you to gain on a LC diet.

Focus on sticking to the Atkins induction level (the clinic version and book now allows you to not increase carbs until 15 pounds from goal) and keep an eye on the number of artificial sweeteners. Atkins limit is now three packets and count each one as 1 net carb.

From the Atkins website:
Quote:
Q: How do Artificial Sweeteners Inhibit Weight Loss?

For many people artificial sweeteners can be a sensitivity that can cause slower weight loss or stop weight loss altogether. Everyone is different and may have different sensitivities. If you encounter a stall or plateau in weight loss, evaluate how much artificial sweetener you are consuming, and try reducing.

Use of AS is always good for a "conversation" on this forum, but some versions of Atkins have limits, the newest book uses more natural sweeteners like stevia and Xylitol though Splenda is on allowed list. Newer Keto plans, none. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/sweeteners

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Mar-04-19 at 05:52.