Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-->CALP
Stats: 120/116/110
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Low carb Shirataki/ Konnyaku noodles in VIC

Hi all,
Further to the great post earlier, I managed to find some of the ready made Yam noodles (aka Shirataki/ Konnyaku noodles) in the Asian Grocery near the QVM.

I had the staff confirm the ingredients as only Yam flour & water....however, there are no ingredient lists on the pack so I am little wary (actually very wary) as to what the carb count would be so I can factor into my daily figures.

Does anyone have any ideas, I have been on the atkins site but not surprisingly found nothing listed... a friend has mentioned that another name for a yam is a sweet potato, can anyone clarify this ??
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 23:25

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi polly,

so far all my shirataki noodles have had the details in japanese, i didn't learn to read it when i lived in japan but i know the last ones i got were 3g carbs and 3g fibre, so technically, it's a freebie (i asked the store owner to translate). be aware they smell funny out of the packet but that goes away once with other food, they have no taste but take on other flavours, and are slightly rubbery but not unpleasant. i don't know about sweet potatoes being yams, shiratkai are made from Glucomannan, which is taken from the Konnyaku root, a member of the yam family. it is mainly all fibre and expands when eaten with water.

hope that helps a little.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 00:01
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much Sambalam!! .. you've been a great help!

(By the way,I've since found more sites on the web & asian Yams do appear to be different to the sweet potatoes.)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 00:04
Registered Member

BF:

ooops.. forgot to ask you Sambalam.. where did you get yours from ... can't read any of the wriitng on mine exept for "Yam Flour" as an ingredient & Konnyaku (technicially there is no Shirataki written on the pack but I did ask the shop keeper).. I hope aI have the right ones!

So many questions... I appreciate your input.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 00:04

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

no probs polly, pleased to help you out. a little advice, give the noodles a bit of a chop before cooking with them, it makes if easier to eat them, they get tangled in a bunch!

enjoy.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 00:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default Official stats on Shirataki noodles-WOOHOO

Hi Guys,
After alot of internet searching I have found the following link that states the stats (or lack of) for Yam Shirataki noodles.

http://www.house-foods.com/our_prod...hirataki_3.html

Hope this sets others minds at ease!! .. enjoy!