Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 08:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default The Brain Needs Animal Fat

Why humans can't thrive on plants alone.

Latest post by Dr. Ede:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...8feddb-97647217

As usual, very thorough and informative piece.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 10:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I LOVE her stuff and follow her on Twitter. It was her articles that convinced me to go so Carnivore, and I am getting fine results.

UPDATE:

Quote:
It has been hypothesized that without DHA, consciousness and symbolic thinking—hallmarks of the human race—would be impossible.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 10:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good to see this article-- I went down the rabbit hole a couple years ago pursuing the ALA, AL, DHA issue and after 12 hours of digging came up with the same conclusions. Animal sources of fats.

Humans cannot covert vegetable precursors well into DHA. However, other animals can! In reality, they just concentrate it for us.

Milk and dairy was not included in the above; here is one source with a great explanation and research testing of grass fed v. conventional dairy production feeding. With grass fed rated at the top.

https://www.vitalchoice.com/article...nal-counterpart

This source is a nay-sayer for using milk as a good source, but note the 8.3% is far higher than many of the items in Dr Edes list. And this was organic milk-- orgainic milk is NOT the same as grass fed milk.

http://www.mariespano.com/organicmilk/

Quote:
Milk is not considered a major source of omega-3 fatty acids in the diet, regardless of milk type. In fact, according to one study, 1 cup of organic whole milk has about 8.2 mg of the omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and 11 mg of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) compared to 6.2 mg of EPA and 9.1 mg of DHA. That’s a far cry from the 250 – 500 mg of EPA + DHA we should get, on average, each day. Fatty fish are the best way to get EPA and DHA.

I do spend my money on grass fed cream and butter. I dont buy milk anymore unless it is grass fed whole milk. ( Our milk consumption decreased a long time ago.) VERY difficult to find grass-fed cheeses.

Eggs. As for increasing DHA in eggs-- clearly increasing flax oil in the hen's diet is not useful, as the nutrient increased is ALA and us humans cannot convert more than 10%. Perhaps better to put money into a DHA supplement directly than pay more for eggs. (Unless you can get truly grass fed eggs. See next paragraph)
( source; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28108729 )

This article is a bit more comprehensive, https://www.healthline.com/nutritio...l-eggs#section4 , Take note of the difference in overall nutrients in a FREE RANGE chicken, and this is the on grass all day type , not the " allowed to go out" type. While the Omega 3's are increased by 3 times the conventionally fed birds, remember this also includes the portion of ALA. BUt it is still 3x in this study.

Dr Mercola on his site (https://foodfacts.mercola.com/organ...ed-chicken.html )reports :

Quote:
Rich in omega-3 fats: In a 2008 study published in the journal Poultry Science, Portuguese researchers discovered that pasture-raised chicken has significantly higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids than chickens that do not have access to fresh forage.4

My personal observations: Chicken egg quality is an area of interest as I do have a small flock that forage all year long, and get supplemental feed, yet their yolks are much darker, actually an orange, most of the year. A bit lighter thru the winter, but still darker than commercial eggs. this coloring is actually Vit A content-- and I can only wonder if the Omega 3 is any higher.

All I can say is that my birds travel long distances around the farm, looking for greens and bugs..... and their gift is gold.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Apr-01-19 at 10:57.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 11:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The "better" eggs at the store all say vegetarian fed. I noticed that after DH picked some up. We all know that means Soy. I don't want soy. Eggland's best which is a national brand I think which shows it's lower in fat, I don't want that either and those are both especially $$ in price.

I so miss my old girls (pets) with their bright orange yolks. If I knew then what I know now LOL I would have valued them more.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 12:00

BF:

corn/soy is the golden combination for animal feed. And yes, "vegetarian" is a great sales pitch---if only people could see how fast a chick can grab a fly!!! Just watch a dog to get the idea!!

Did you think having chickens for eggs was a lot of work? Or pretty easy??
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 03:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Rob, thanks for posting this excellent piece on Brain health. Detailed, but not too long, when trying to convince old folk like me to add more animal fat, not reduce it for "heart health" or cancer fears.

Quote:
VERY difficult to find grass-fed cheeses.

Arielle, I was under the assumption that imported cheeses are primarily grass-fed except for the days kept indoors on forage by weather. Know this is a point of contention for Irish and Scandinavian that claim "grass fed butter", but I never looked beyond that. You know all about animal husbandry...do European countries keep dairy cows indoors? Imported cheese is common at Costco, TJ, Aldi, etc, but not everyone has these stores.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 05:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Arielle, I was under the assumption that imported cheeses are primarily grass-fed except for the days kept indoors on forage by weather. Know this is a point of contention for Irish and Scandinavian that claim "grass fed butter", but I never looked beyond that. You know all about animal husbandry...do European countries keep dairy cows indoors? Imported cheese is common at Costco, TJ, Aldi, etc, but not everyone has these stores.

Grass fed is a tricky label.

Cows kept indoors but fed "grass" in the form of hay and silage is still grass-fed. The addition of grains starts the change in the profile--one study said when beef cattle are moved to finishing lots the benefits of grass fed is gone in 3 months. The equivalent of a winter. Europe is changing and starting to cave to the fast food movement; the traditional sausage makers of Germany are disappearing fast according to Chef Ming, such that other traditional methods of food making are likely under threat too.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 06:15

BF:

We have a local source for grassfed cheese from a nearby farm. Also, goat cheese are more likely to be grass fed.

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Apr-03-19 at 06:50.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 06:36

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Two sources for finding 100% grass-fed meat and dairy, which I have found useful, are the websites: eatwild, and localharvest.

The lists are not always kept up to date, and the foods that each farm or ranch has listed are not always up to date.

It has taken many phone calls, but I've been able to find what I needed.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 07:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Well this has sent me down a rabbit-hole. One of my favorite cheeses is a much aged, rugged cheddar from the UK, called Coastal from Ford Farms:

Quote:
Q – Are your cows grass fed?
A – Dairy cows are usually fed grass during the summer months and conserved forage (grass or maize silage, or hay) in the winter. These forages may be supplemented with cereals. Animal welfare is a key issue for us. All of our Cows are well cared for and the milk is produced in a safe and hygienic environment.

For a milder cheddar, TJ's has a NZ Raw and grass-fed cheddar labeled as that.

And authentic Parma with the origin seal:

Quote:
The production of authentic Parmesan Cheese is quite time consuming and labor intensive. Italian Parmesan Cheese is made with a blend of two different types of cow's milk – full cream milk and skim milk. This milk comes from cows that were raised on only grass and hay which creates a unique texture and consistency in the cheese.

And an Ohio farm that sells only 100% grass-fed, dries their pasture hay for winter feeding, as you mentioned. And Finlandia which also claims 100% grass-fed states that they feed their cows are only fed hay in the winter (how many months is that? ) while KerryGold supplements with cereals. At any point a French cheese manufacturer could buy milk from a farmer claiming 100% grass-fed, but who would know? Oh well, I trust they are all treated well.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 09:08

BF:

Back in the day, cows ate dried silage/grain in the winter, anyway. I do think it's a good thing to concentrate on if you can opt for quality over quantity.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 09:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The dairy and cheese makers I found here in Texas did a documentary on PBS one day, that's how I found them. He and his father moved from Wisconsin after he told his father that cows could graze year around in TX.
That's partially true. We don't have the snow but the grass does stop growing when the days get shorter. We have to feed or the cows would starve. They're still grazing but not enough nourishment from that alone.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 09:33

BF:

The only region I know that can graze all year is closer to the equator!!

Kerry GOld has one butter that is labeled differently-- it is summer butter, and more grass fed than winter, for obvious reasons.

One hog farmer in VT grazes his hogs. OVer the generations he has selected for less rooting, and more grazing. A local farmer supplies him with winter hay; and a local brewery supplies spent grains. Piglets get eggs from the flock of free ranging hens kept just to supply extra protein to the piglets.

I dream of the day I can try their pork!!

The last time I visited their website, no new blog entries for some time. Has me worried as farmer was a daily blogger. And Im too afraid to call and find out what happened.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-19, 02:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Fat, Not Meat, May Have Led to Bigger Hominin Brains

A new theory challenges assumptions about when and how our ancestors altered their behaviors to boost brainpower

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...hominin-brains/
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-19, 04:56

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks, Demi.

Here is the original article:

https://www.sapiens.org/evolution/brain-evolution-fat/

This link is at the bottom of the article in Scientific American.

The Sapiens article is easier to read, for me. And has fewer ads.