Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 19:24
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've been averaging about 60% fat, 25% protein, 15% carbs.
25% protein..
the perfect food for the 60-25 ratio would be pork belly for sure!
i usually live on that, more than any other protein i eat.
and brisket.. you can get good fat/protein ratios from brisket..

my calories were really high today.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 19:35

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
I'm trying to get up to 1700 but I've gone +2... makes me wonder if I can eat that many calories.
as you've increased calories have you decreased fruit? I think that' what I'll do. I'm eating the fruit and even some rice crackers now (P2, grissini substitute) but they're gonna have to go in P3.

I'm still skeptical about my metabolism being reset. I'm just looking at this as a way to get the excess weight off and then plan to maintain on meat & veggies. I've been happily low carb for ten years -- it's been great for my health and mental clarity but no so good for weight loss.
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 19:57

BF:

Pilotgal! I love your new avatar! What a great photo.
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 19:57

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Actually, I'm following the days and the calorie levels precisely as Biz on HTA recommends. The last day on hcg you take your full daily dosage first thing in the morning and keep to 500 calories. The next day you start adding fat and go up 250 calories. Then every day another 250 calories until you reach about 1800 calories, and then you assess how you're doing.

There's nothing in P&I that would imply that we're doing anything contrary to what Dr. S intended. I truly see no problem, and don't even think we're rebels for doing it "our" way.

When I go back to Phase 2 I'll likely go back to strict protocol, the way I did it in my first round. When the fat and protein are so low, I think you (or at least I) need the oomph of the extra carbs.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 20:26

BF:

Oops. Houston, we may have a problem.

One of the mods over on HTA just responded to one of my questions and said that in Phase 3 you must limit your protein to no more than 75 grams per day (that's grams of protein, not grams in weight of food). I'm not sure I agree with that. When I was in communication with Dr. Mike for his information 6WC study, he advised me to get between 90 and 100 grams of protein a day. Here's something he wrote in that book:

Quote:
Recent research has shown that women, particularly those over 50, utilize the protein in muscle building less successfully than men do. What that means is women approaching 50 need more protein for their size than men to preserve and build their lean bodies.

Even Protein Power and Protein Power Lifeplan state the minimum protein requirement for a woman my height and weight should be around 102 grams. And that's the MINIMUM.

Now I'm not sure how I want to approach this. I understand that fat is the most important nutrient, but protein is pretty important, too. Carbs, not at all.

Do you guys think I should stick to my guns and shoot for 70/25/5 (and ask that they support my efforts), or do 70/15/15, which is what Biz recommends. But then even at 2000 calories a day, 15% is only 75 grams of protein (300 calories).

I'm leaning toward the 70/25/5 and asking that they support my efforts.

What do you guys think?
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 21:26

Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Well Bawdy, you know what I am going to say, lol!
I have absolutely no intention to eat 15% carbs. I will do the 70-30 or 75-25. The only carbs I'll eat for now are the ones in the eggs. Later, I might add some almond butter (just a tiny bit) and very dark chocolate, but those are my only carbs. Actually maybe a little cheese and cream later on too, so I might eventually end up with 70-25-5.
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 21:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
as you've increased calories have you decreased fruit? I think that' what I'll do. I'm eating the fruit and even some rice crackers now (P2, grissini substitute) but they're gonna have to go in P3.

I'm still skeptical about my metabolism being reset. I'm just looking at this as a way to get the excess weight off and then plan to maintain on meat & veggies. I've been happily low carb for ten years -- it's been great for my health and mental clarity but no so good for weight loss.

I wasn't eating any crackers on P2 but I was having two fruits. Now I either have two fruits on P3, sometimes one, or one fruit and a glass of wine. I've gotten hooked on the strawberry sorbet... :\
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 21:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Oops. Houston, we may have a problem.

One of the mods over on HTA just responded to one of my questions and said that in Phase 3 you must limit your protein to no more than 75 grams per day (that's grams of protein, not grams in weight of food). I'm not sure I agree with that. When I was in communication with Dr. Mike for his information 6WC study, he advised me to get between 90 and 100 grams of protein a day. Here's something he wrote in that book:
I doubt they've really got the expertise over there to make those sorts of decisions. You've already heard what I think of the advice... Look at the people we've got here doing carnivore P2 and doing quite well.

I'm guessing you probably know more about how to do a good P3 than they do. Don't you think Dr. Simeons would have said something about restricting protein if it was important?

It's kind of like a South Beach person advising a carnivore, ya know? It just isn't gonna work.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 00:21
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It's kind of like a South Beach person advising a carnivore, ya know? It just isn't gonna work.
word!

thank you for the compliment, Allison.

Last edited by PilotGal : Mon, Feb-14-11 at 01:20.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 00:55

BF:

Quote:
Do you guys think I should stick to my guns and shoot for 70/25/5 (and ask that they support my efforts), or do 70/15/15, which is what Biz recommends. But then even at 2000 calories a day, 15% is only 75 grams of protein (300 calories).
Nancy practically tools the words right out of my mouth. We may not have the expertise for how to eat while ON hcg, but we certainly have vast knowledge and experience OFF hcg. Stick to your guns. You KNOW what doesn't work for you.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 05:22

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

Bawdy, the only two specifics Dr. S mentioned for P3 both call for more protein than that. Remember his recommendation of a high protein day on P3, with 2 eggs in the am, big steaks at lunch and dinner, and hunk of cheese at night? Also, on the correction day, he says to eat a big, juicy steak.

I think that if protein restriction were important, Dr. S would have said so, especially since the two times he did advise on P3 foods, he advised high protein.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 06:09

BF:

Thanks, everyone. I thought the same thing. Dr. S actually does say that on P2 you're on the verge of protein deficiency. And, as you all said, if there was a problem with too much protein on P3, he probably would have said something. He wrote in the 50s, which was before the low-fat craze. At that time wasn't the prevailing conventional wisdom that meat and fat were good for you, and it was carbs that were bad?

I wasn't worried about the carbs. I knew I could (and would) explain that away with no problem. I was concerned mostly about the protein level.

OK. I'm sticking with 70/25/5, with the 5 coming from some berries, some occasional veggies, and natural protein souces such as eggs.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 06:18

BF:

PS: I'm down another 0.4 pounds this morning to 169.4, a new lower number. Today I raise the calories with fat only to 750 calories. I already have the day planned, and I'll reach these numbers:

Calories: 764
Fat: 57 grams (67%)
Carbs: 15 grams (10 net grams; 7%)
Protein: 50 grams (26%)

Not bad for starting out. The next two days I'll be in the office, so I'll have to think of something I can take along. I have yummy leftover chicken in the fridge, so I'll have that and throw a tablespoon or more of butter over the top. Nuke it a bit and let the butter run down my chin!
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 09:30

BF:

Yeah, so my plan went over like a lead balloon over in Boot Camp. Oh well. I'm still going to do what I feel is best. If that doesn't work, I'll adjust.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 10:27

Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hello!
I totally agree with you all, we know how to eat off hcg, we know what is best for our body. We are going to be alright.
So, yesterday was business as usual for me, I sticked to plan, had all my drops just before lunch then no more. Ate my 500 fat-free calories, strong in the knowledge that it was the last day. I slept well through the night. This morning, there is no new loss, which of course disappoints me a bit, but well, this is that. Will go and buy some butter this morning, did not trust myself to do it yesterday, lol. I had a soft boiled egg for breakfast, like I did thru the whole P2 program. Lunch will be half a breast of chicken (leftover from yesterday) and I will have it with a tbs of mayo, gosh I can't wait for this first taste! Dinner will be beef heart with BUTTER! Ah, can you feel the happiness! Have a great day everyone.