Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

remarkable, bawdy!
you are really melting away!
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 09:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Today I raise the calories to 1500. It’s very difficult for me to raise the calories without also raising the protein amount (Biz wants me to keep the protein down to 75 grams, even if I have more than 2000 calories).

I thought you had decided to give that advice a miss.

Yeah, I'd love to hear how you're supposed to eat 2000 calories without dairy and keeping your protein that low... unless you intend to gargle with oil or something.
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 09:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Oh, believe me, I'm not following her advice. I was just pointing out that it would be very difficult FOR ME to do that ... hence, I don't intend to!

She's not opposed to dairy. Did I imply that? Here's what she advised me to do:

Quote:
There is a Lazy Caesar Dressing (Dip) located here on the site in the recipes that raises fats very fast. 3 oz is like 500-600 calories. Perfect for a snack with some veggies. Have you tried mixing mayo with horseradish or curry to make a dip? How about sweetening some sour cream and using it as a dip for fruit? Make sure your HWC doesn't have carrageenan in it and make a mousse.

The problem with making the dips is that you need fruit or veggies to dip into it. I don't intend on increasing the amount of either. In fact, I'm dropping one serving of each. She advised against that because "you absolutely need carbs to be healthy!" I told her we'd had to agree to disagree on that one.

She's adamantly opposed to any dairy that has carrageenan in it as it's supposed to be a cause of cancer, among other things. The thing is, they don't sell carrageenan-free dairy where I live. Not in the regular dairy aisle or even in the natural foods section. So, I told HER that I'm going to limit it. But, I probably won't!
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 09:45

Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hello all.
Bawdy, congrats! I wish I were doing as well.
But this morning, I have regained the half pound I had lost yesterday. sigh. It is not terribly disastrous, lol, but I think I better stick to 1000 calories today, normal P2 food plus a bit of butter. I will conquer this!
This is funny though, while I was in P2 I could not help but dream about P3, and now, I nearly wish I was back in P2 and its regular loss, lol. I might go back for a quick round in March, before all the April celebrations here. We'll see.
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 11:01

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I'm back up the 1 lb I lost yesterday but TOM is imminent, not terribly worried.

Finally my sheeps milk yogourt came in, This is what I am eating today with some mac nuts, 25 blueberries (yep counted the suckers) and olives (not all together!)
will have ground beef at supper and see where it gets me
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 11:04
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
The problem with making the dips is that you need fruit or veggies to dip into it.

What about pork rinds? Maybe you're not a fan. I run sort of lukewarm and cold on them myself.
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 13:27

BF:

Maile, so did you enjoy your blueberry-olive pie?

Nancy, yes I like pork rinds, but they're very hard to find here. I asked one time at the grocery store and was told they're not on the standard list for the store, which means you can't even have them get them in. Anyway, the protein would tend to add up, too, along with the fat in the dip. But I do really love sour cream and onion dip!
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 14:10

BF:

Quote:
But I do really love sour cream and onion dip!

seems to me that steak strips dipped would work
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 14:21

BF:

Sure, but that's what the 2 Tablespoons of butter on the plate are for!!!!!
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 14:44

BF:

Quote:
Sure, but that's what the 2 Tablespoons of butter on the plate are for!!!!!

do both, be wild!

there must be something genetic (okay that stretching it a bit) to the preference of sour cream and onion over curry. hubby is like you, will grab sour cream and onion over curry any day, I'm totally the opposite.
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 16:40

BF:

I'm so sorry to hear that, Maile. Now we can't be friends anymore.

I confess that I actually said that to a new friend once when she told me she was vegan! I didn't mean it, of course, but I did say in all seriousness that when we get together with her and her husband, we'll be sure to go to a restaurant rather than eating at each other's houses!!!
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-11, 08:20

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
They told me over on HTA to do this:

Today: All drops in the morning, regular P2 day

Monday: No more drops, raise to 750 calories by adding just fats (no nuts or cheese)

Tuesday: Raise to 1000 calories by adding just fats

Wednesday: Raise to 1250 by adding just fats; this will officiallly be the first day of Phase 3

Is that just if you are transitioning back to LC, or for everyone? Not that anyone would go back to eating the SAD or other high-carb/low-fat diet after this, right? No one in their right mind, at least

Could we get there by using fattier cuts of meat or salmon for our protein?
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-11, 08:21

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Supposedly my BMR is 1440*1.2 (sedentary) but I think that's too high. I usually ate around 1500 when I maintained well.

I am trying to increase my calories too.

One thing I'm noticing is that my blood sugar is getting pretty high, even having 5 oz of strawberries. I'm wondering if I should go on Metformin.

I don't do so great on fruit when consumed alone on an empty stomach. Maybe try blending the strawberries with a scoop of whey protein?
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-11, 08:37

BF:

Elisa, this is the standard protocol for transitioning from Phase 2 to Phase 3. They seem to recommend no more than 75 grams of protein a day over on the Happily Thinner After (HTA) website, but I get more like 100 or more. They also advocate the 70/15/15 ratios of fat/protein/carbs. I don't like eating so many carbs, so I shoot for either 70/25/5 or 75/20/5. Sometimes I don't eat any plant carbs at all. When I do it's merely a salad, one veggie, or some berries.

No, I wouldn't go back to a typical SAD way of eating, either, but some do and seem to be successful ... but successful in the fact that they don't seem to gain weight from it (at least not for a while because the hcg does seem to do something to "fix" the metabolism so that it can again handle a lot more carbs, like when you're a teen), but that doesn't mean that's a healthful way to eat and it doesn't mean you're not damaging your body.
  #150   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-11, 09:16
Experimenter

BF:

So, I'm wondering if plain old low carb might work for me again... it hasn't for a long time. I tightened up on the carbs a bit and my weight is dropping in P3. I just cut out the fruit and cut back a little on the veggies.

It'd be nice if I ended up losing a tad more in P3!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Feb-18-11 at 09:31.