Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-23, 23:16

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Basically, it was all about not actually killing a sentient being for a human to eat. Not biological classification. The grey area was the indirect killing involved in the diary industry.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-23, 11:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Basically, it was all about not actually killing a sentient being for a human to eat.

Vegan can eat oysters, by that definition. And I know they eat salmon. And lie about it.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-23, 08:43

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Basically, it was all about not actually killing a sentient being for a human to eat. Not biological classification. The grey area was the indirect killing involved in the diary industry.

Then it's the wrong term for that. Vegetarianism implies you eat nothing but vegetables.

And my vegan friends agree.

But for me? I'm just a picky eater. I eat what agrees with both my body and taste buds.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-23, 09:32

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It is the term used by the Vegetarian Society of the UK since its foundation in the early 20th century. So over the years it is how hundreds of thousands of people described their way of eating. If you are entirely plant-based then you are Vegan. If you call yourself a Vegan but eat eggs, cheese, fish or beef then you are telling fibs.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-23, 10:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

In the 1970s some vegetarians would qualify themselves as ovo-vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarians or combinations thereof. The later had to do with not eating anything with a cute face, so apparently fish were OK.

I was a vegetarian for a couple of years (to lose weight and "for health"; neither were sustainable) and ate veggie burgers, but I made everything from scratch from real food, following Moosewood Cookbook, Indian curry and Mexican recipes, soaking beans or using a pressure cooker or slow-cooker very rarely stooping to use canned legumes. Plenty of flavour from real herbs & spices. Rather than thickeners I still use techniques like putting part of a soup or stew's vegetables in the blender and then adding them back to the pot. Big batches with extras frozen in individual servings has been my time saver for 50 years!

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Aug-16-23 at 10:57.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-23, 10:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
And those 7 supplements just get you up to the RDA to prevent common diseases of malnutrition, not optimal levels of vitamins & minerals.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-23, 16:23

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
In the 1970s some vegetarians would qualify themselves as ovo-vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian, pesco-vegetarians or combinations thereof. The later had to do with not eating anything with a cute face, so apparently fish were OK. ...

Seems to me they just want to be in the vegetarian cult.

What's next after pesco?

Fowlo? Porko? Beefo?

So I'm a lacto-ovo-pesco-fowlo-porko-beefo vegetarian. But I'm still a finiky eater. If I don't like the taste, if it has too many carbs, or it doesn't agree with me, I don't eat it.

I have a friend who eats seafood, dairy, and veggies. He calls himself a pescatarian, but not a vegetarian.

For me, a vegetarian eats nothing but plants. As soon as one adds any animal products, they are an omnivore.

But if some people want to be in the vegetarian cult and still eat animal products, I guess it's OK.

Bob