Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default For those that tried CAD/CALP and didn't continue, why?

I'm experimenting with CAD/CALP and see that there is very little posting going on in that forum. If you've tried it and decided it wasn't for you, why was that? It seems like it could be the perfect plan with the best of all worlds.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 21:30

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I just had massive carb creep. That was just me.

Last edited by Glendora : Sat, Jun-29-19 at 01:12.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 03:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Because this addict has to practice abstinence. If your metabolism and brain chemistry isn't nearly that screwed up, it's a sensible approach. It's just infinitely easier for me to have zero of something than try to do the small-serving-as-long-as-its-in-one-hour thing. That would leave me climbing the walls for more.

I DO have small servings of off-plan foods here and there, but only under tightly-controlled circumstances like restaurants, and there is no temping/appealing off-plan food in my house, ever.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-19, 04:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Two words...Reward Meals.

Too easy For me to go off the rails. Like Kristine, Dr Westman's strict clinic plan is easier than being allowed "rewards" or climbing the ladder in traditional Atkins.

Here's a good thread on the topic of Abstainers vs Moderators:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 06:42
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Thanks for the link, Janet! Looks like an interesting read.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 08:52

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Even properly designed Reward Meals had too many carbs for me and triggered my cravings and constant thinking about food. Reward Meals are like giving an alcoholic 1 oz of booze once a day. It took me 24/7 vigilance to stay on CAD (just like every low-cal and high-carb diet I've ever tried), whereas following Atkins Induction, Keto or Westman's plan eliminates cravings and constantly thinking about food and involves no effort on my part other than keeping off-plan foods out of my house.

The one thing I have retained from CAD is that if I do stray for a special occasion, if I keep it to <60 minutes and get back on plan at near-zero carb levels for 3 days, the excursion has no long lasting effects. But I cannot do it daily or weekly. For me occasions are only "special" enough ~5 times a year. The 3-days of white-knuckle vigilance required to get my cravings & constant food thoughts to disappear remind me what a bad idea Reward Meals are.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Jul-02-19 at 09:07.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 09:02
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I am an Abstainer, an all-or-nothing kinda gal. Rewards? Ladder?

Addict.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 10:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I liked the Rewards Meal too much. The first time I made a special dessert for RM. First day ....good. Second day...carb craving hit gobbling up three dessrts.

After more DANDR attempted CAD again. Learned ONE RM worked but next few days had to be low carb.

Later, trying OMAD, the same response. Treats could only be occassional. Carb cravings told me when I had consummed too much, or too often.

Trying to prevent triggering cravings means avoiding sweets, sugar and limiting AS, and real fruits,too.

CAD was too hard as it triggered binging.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 10:51

Plan: Modified South Beach
Stats: 207.5/158.7/157.5 Female 5.5 &3/4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Very interesting conversation here. I’ve read about this WOE but didn’t think would be a good fit for me, and after reading these post, I know I was right. I’d be off the rails after one reward meal...
I would say it seems like it would work for someone without addictive eating issues, but not for a carb lover like me!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 11:15

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I even bought the book and realized that's not for me. There is no way I could keep high carb/surgery deserts in the house and not want to eat it.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-19, 19:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I too have the book. It was well worth reading. I too keep to the one hkur eating window. Must pick greens for my salad before starting meal.Otherwise meal gets split into two parts . Always consious of the one hour window, even if after the fact. Also, must have 2 hours between eating sessions. Definitely a good read.....lots of tidbits.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-19, 11:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I too have the book. It was well worth reading. I too keep to the one hkur eating window. Must pick greens for my salad before starting meal.Otherwise meal gets split into two parts . Always consious of the one hour window, even if after the fact. Also, must have 2 hours between eating sessions. Definitely a good read.....lots of tidbits.

If it's all true, that these eating windows do any good......
From what some have said, the Mrs. gained lots of weight later.
To me, the problem is the dessert at the reward meals. Every Day? What about people with Diabetes or Pre-Diabetes, it still spikes the BS and releases all of that insulin. Insulin, I think is at the center of weight storage, so IDK.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-19, 10:38

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Basically as I got older I stopped losing on it. I also wanted to eat healthier and not have sugar anymore or grains. I use CAD for damage control if I would be at an event and there is nothing there low carb for me to eat. I follow low carb/keto now and its so much better for me.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-19, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It just woke cravings in me and didn't help me lose weight at all.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 07:55

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

After 3 years of eating CAD I went off due to a number of stresses in my life, family deaths, job change, moved house, etc. all within 6 months time. I tried for several years to get back on plan and kept failing.

For the past 2 years I've been eating Keto, via Dr. Eric Westman. Feeling much better and aside from my lowered blood sugar and no more aches and pains, I have lost 33 pounds.