Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 21:27

Plan: Low Carb/high protein
Stats: 465/465/200 Female 5,5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Did You All Have Tummy Trouble?

Hello everyone-

I hope that your Christmas and New Years were great and that you were able to stick to your plan. I have a question I have been low carbing for a few days now and I woke up this morning to some pretty bad tummy pain and (excuse the bluntness of this) a whole lot of stool. I mean I went several times all producing larger than normal movements. Has anyone of you experienced this, is this something that is to me expected? If so does it last very long? Cause I have been very miserable all day long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 03:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome again Anne,

Tummy trouble as a side effect, usually nausea, may depend on what you were eating before vs. what you have been eating on LC. If it is a substantial difference, like much less sugar, more fat, your stomach might rebel a bit. And are you on any medications, like diabetes or IBS meds, that might react to a diet change? Could be many issues, check this great intro to LC for the Side Effects section which has ways to overcome them. Not everyone gets these side effects, but best to be prepared and know what to do if you do. Hang in there.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

SideEffects: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

If you are eating more fiberous veggies and you had little before, that could be a reason for change in bowel movements. If you have had your gallbladder removed you CAN eat LC but a few people need to increase the fats slowly. Be sure you have enough water, salt and natural fats to keep things moving. I had a cup of salty boullion mid-morning and afternoon (cubes are fine) that help fluid balance in the bowels and reduce side effects.

In that same link above read about what some call the "Keto flu" or the Keto adaptation period. Your body is going through a huge transition from a sugar burner to a fat burner, so some experience a few days of not feeling great, but you soon will.

Best wishes for a happy and Healthy New Year to you

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-04-19 at 04:06.