Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 19:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Debbie, I got NOW foods potassium gluconate from iherb.com. It's about 500mg per tsp or so. I have to give the kitty some because he has kidney issues, and I take it too. I just throw it into my smoothie.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 19:04
Experimenter

BF:

Deb, question for ya. Are you following their menu? Or are you just eating a good low carb meal?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 20:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi Nancy, Hi Debbie.
I started this plan yesterday. I use whey protein, and the leucine is already added in, so that's easy. I have not been able to find the Enova oil yet (I live in Canada), but after I read your info, Deb, I don't think I'll bother with it. I add coconut milk in the shakes, since I don't digest cream well (pity, I like it). And I don't follow his menu, I just have some meat for dinner, nothing else.
Glad you started this thread, Nancy. It's more fun to do this with friends.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 23:07
Experimenter

BF:

Yay! I hope we have some success. I know Debbie is struggling like I am.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 09:22

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

So far so good, I have lost 1.5 lbs in two days. I'm a bit surprised, since I was already doing clean very low carb. I stopped drinking wine ten days ago, so the only difference now is the lack of caffeine. Stopping the wine had not produced any weight loss. Maybe it is the shake that is magical? I don't usually like shakes, they don't fill me up, I prefer to eat something. But if it works, I'll keep doing it, for sure.
Good luck to you both.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 09:53

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i the oil subject; i also don't get the Enova thing. what's the point? soy oil is high omega 6, canola is much better in that respect so that can't possibly have anything to do w the reccomendation.
is it simply because of this study related to diabetics?
maybe someone will e mail the eades and the doc will blog about it.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/209/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have used a LOT of protein powders (and to be honest, thrown away a lot too!). I use Biochem Natural 100% Whey Protein (get the NATURAL - it has no flavor). It is perfect in these shakes - NO taste, NO grittiness - 1 carb. I buy it from bodybuilding.com. Great delivery and service. I can't recommend it enough - oh yeah - 20 g of protein.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 12:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Deb, question for ya. Are you following their menu? Or are you just eating a good low carb meal?

I am not following their menu because, I confess it, I HATE eating plans that require you to eat certain things. Also I live alone and cook only for myself - and trying to eat a varied menu plan like that means buying far too much food, and far too much wastage. So I have consulted the veggie substitution lists at the back of the book and am just trying to pick a meal choices from there.

My meal the first day, for example, was bacon and eggs with a 1/2 cup of green beans sauteed in the bacon grease. My meal yesterday was a few cocktail shrimp with curried mayo, and them some all-beef meatballs with a small side of spinach and butter. I have some more shrimp at home (got them on sale at the supermarket on Friday) and I have some zucchini, so I'm thinking I may shred some zucchini to make sort of "zucchini spaghetti". Then I will sautee the shrimp in butter with some garlic, and have that over the zucchini.

Though I have referred to their menu plan to get ideas, and some of the recipes sound worth trying, but I'm not specifically following their menus.

Which does lead me to the one major nit I have with the book. Unless I missed it their book never comes right out and gives a "menu" for what the eating plan should be. I mean it doesn't say something like:
- enough protein to feel satisfied
- one vegetable serving
- one fruit serving
- X amount of butter, mayo or other condiments.

And so sometimes, from the menus given, I'm not sure quite what I should be having, but have felt that a protein portion with some amount of fat, and a veggie from their veggie list, and possibly fruit (though have to watch fruits as they do affect my blood sugar, but avocado is on the "fruit" list and that is fine for me) should work as a meal.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 12:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
So far so good, I have lost 1.5 lbs in two days. I'm a bit surprised, since I was already doing clean very low carb. I stopped drinking wine ten days ago, so the only difference now is the lack of caffeine. Stopping the wine had not produced any weight loss. Maybe it is the shake that is magical? I don't usually like shakes, they don't fill me up, I prefer to eat something. But if it works, I'll keep doing it, for sure.

This is my third day and I am down three pounds, but that just puts me to where I was before I gained three pounds last weekend! So I'm sitting today at 293, which is where I was back the first of August when I decided to start journaling my food intake.

Have you all taken your waist and hip measurements to determine your "middle" ratio? I suppose I should document those to see if they change. My waist is 46 and my hips 60.5 which puts my ratio at .76. Actually not totally bad except that there is far too *much* of it! And it does not take into account the big bowl of jelly that jiggles around underneath my belly button.

I'm still more pear-shaped than the "beachball on legs" shape, but have sufficient padding all over that I'm sure I have plenty of VAT also.

If this *does* work for me clearly it will take longer than four weeks to get rid of my "middle". But so far so good. I'm less hungry than I was the first day.

I find if I add an egg to my shake that holds me far longer than a shake without, but I don't think you are supposed to add an egg to every shake every day. I think the Eades suggested adding an egg to one shake a day.

But this seems to make me feel pretty good so far. While I don't have violent cravings I still enjoy sweet things so the shakes satisfy that for me. But if I have too many sweet things I start craving meat and veggies, so the one LC meal a day is good for that too.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 13:33
Experimenter

BF:

Congrats on the 3 pounds. Hope it is a trend.

I'm with you, I found the meal plans annoying. I remember being annoyed like that in their first book. I'd rather have guidelines than a whole slew of recipes. Nothing wrong with it, it's just that I wasn't all that interested in buying a recipe book. You could basically sum up the diet in about 4 paragraphs or less.

I was thinking of a way to rig up a thing to measure your VAT, using two yardsticks and a long ruler.

I'd make a sort of H with they yardsticks being the sides of the H and the ruler kind of slide up and down the H. I'm trying to think of what to use for a sliding bracket...

I'm weaning down on the caffeine. I am down to just one pot a day.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 14:35
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I bought 3 yard sticks and tried using magnetic tape, that didn't work. But I could balance the cross one against the other two. Standing up, lower back against the wall, not sucking in (that was hard not to do!), the biggest part of my gut extended out 13.5 inches. The width between the two side yardsticks was also right about 13.5 inches.

Lying down it's 9.5 inches, so perhaps that means I don't have a lot of VAT, which is great!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 15:10

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I'm in. I have some reading to do. I went to see "The September Issue" yesterday instead of reading. Sadly, I was a little hungry and bought popcorn with fake veg oil "butter" and Coke Zero with caffeine.

Nancy, how are you pasteurizing your eggs? Do you mean soft-boiled?

On page 33 he mentions "glucose intolerance." Is there such a thing or did he mean gluten intolerance? Or maybe it's just a clever way of saying insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 01:52

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I started today. Maybe the two-week "induction" with the shakes will help me off this darn stall...

I have a couple problems, though. I saw too late the admonission not to buy protein powders sweetened with aspartame. I went back and checked the three boxes in my kitchen cupboard, and yes, just one sweetener, and you guessed it, aspartame. I've never had any bad reactions from it that I can remember, so I'll take the two weeks and keep a close eye on myself to check for side effects.

Also, here in Norway "free" amino acids are illegal. You can't get them. I *might* be able to order some from abroad and have it "slip through" the tolls... Haven't decided yet.

And sugar-free coffee syrups? Forget it. I asked at two of the closest thing we have to Starbucks, and the baristas had no clue. They were like, can't you order that somewhere? Yes, I said, I already know that, my question was do you know of any place HERE that I can get them. Nope.

I'm a little confused about the fat content of weeks 3 and 4.

The abstinence(s) will do me good, and I will probably use the Cure as licence to deny myself for a bit longer than just the first weeks.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 06:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
On page 33 he mentions "glucose intolerance." Is there such a thing or did he mean gluten intolerance? Or maybe it's just a clever way of saying insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia.

From looking at that page last night I do think he means glucose as the whole section seems to be about insulin and liver processing, and gluten does not seem to come into play there at all, so I'm guessing it just sort of an insulin resistence reference.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 06:37

BF:

This is day four for me, and it's back to work now. I was off on Friday (when I started) to spend some time visiting with my new grandson. So this is the first day I've had to try to figure out how to deal with this while working.

I leave for work at 6:50 AM to be there by 7:30 AM, and frankly I just can't eat breakfast that early or I'd be ravenous by 10 AM. Before I went on this plan my typical work day was:
- arrive at work 7:30 AM, get a cup of decaf on the way in from the deli, add 1 tbsp coconut oil to it when I reach my desk, and drink.
- between 9-10 AM go down to the deli and get a cheese omelet for breakfast. Only $3, and very filling and satisfying.
- 1-1:45 PM, go to lunch. I usually brown-bag my lunch, and lunch is typically something like a can of sardines in olive oil, maybe with an avocado or some side veggie. Sometimes some nuts as well.
- Make a LC dinner when I get home from work around 5:30 PM.

But obviously this won't work for the Cure. And I don't want to "waste" my one low carb meal on a deli omelet or a can of sardines.

So today I make a double shake in the blender before I left home, and brought it to work in a thermos. Though even in a thermos I'm sure all the ice chips will melt and the shakes will be sort of thin and watery to drink, but I guess that will be breakfast and lunch today, and I can make my LC dinner when I get home, and then have an evening snack shake.

Is anyone else doing the "Laplace in Place" exercise? I'm trying to, but have not managed to do it 8 times a day yet as I keep forgetting to do it, so only doing in 3-4 times a day, but maybe today at work I'll be more disciplined about it.