Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 11:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/238/185 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Quit smoking and started Atkins

Just wanted to say hi. I,m new to the forum. Was in the hospital for about 4 days and thought this would be a good time to try and quit. Been trying off and on for a couple of years. Tried patches,gum etc. This time I'm doing it cold turkey. Not had a smoke since Jan,5 2003. Also started Atkins on Feb,07 2003.

Wish me luck,
Jerry(relichound)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 16:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 185/180/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Jerry!
I'm started low carbing in November and threw away my cigarettes and lighter on Jan. 1, 2003. I didn't find this part of the forum until today!! Geeze, I need to surf more. Anyway, I've been fussing about my stalls, etc. in my journal. Some of which I'm sure is related to my quitting smoking as my body adjusts. But it's really nice to have found this thread to be able to communicate with other low carbers who have also quit smoking.
I'd wish you all the luck, but luck is not an option. Not when you're talking about your health and your loved ones. Instead I offer mega congrats for every day you've been smoke free!! We can do this!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 07:48
Registered Member

Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%

Hi Jerry & Krista,

Welcome to the small, VERY elite group of lo-carbers who have also quit smoking!

Congratulations to you both - doesn't it feel wonderful to make such a concrete commitment to good health?

I've been smoke-free since 1/2/2003 - using patches, which are doing a good job of smoothing down the rough edges of withdrawal. Not for everyone, but works well for me. I haven't ruled out the possibility of long-term nicotine replacement therapy - not as good as 100% cold turkey, but far better than inhaling carcinogens.

My not-quite-brilliant insight is that carb and nicotine cravings feel VERY similar. I really believe that lo-carbing has made quitting smoking much easier, and vice versa.

Stay strong! Keep in touch...

Pat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 22:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%

Pat - super, fabulous so proud of you..how are you getting along? I quit while on Atkins and with this support forum in May 2002, I had a buddy -Darkginger who has just disapeared off the face of the earth while we were into the 3rd week, dont as me what happened to her she' s from Ireland. I smoked for many years from English Boys bording school days aged 16 to 43 yrs old ...yikes. But I always exercised and ran the Singapore marathon aged 40. I am 45 in March on the 9th.

Anbyway i am so happy for you , describe your pains, frustrations, I'll be your buddy and help you along its the best thing I EVER did other than quitting alcohol on the 21 August 2000

You will have so much more stamina, do you exercise much ? what's your schedule like?
I live in Hong Kong but I was in Tampa Fl over Xmas I stayed at the Amerisuites in Westshore as my 2 kids live there in Carrollwood, it's a Fatastic place Tampa reallly is !I love the new International Mall
Hang in there and feel free to contact me on gm~amchk.com.hk
any time !!
Richard
Hong Kong a ciggy quitter
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 07:08

BF:
Default Hey Folks

Hi Jerry, Pat & Richard!
How's everyone doing??? I think we should get a chat time organized for LC / Smoke Quiters. What do you all think? Maybe once a week??? I could post and post but somehow having a conversation about experiences seems to help more. And hey, this chat room is always empty. What a shame.

Okay, I hope you all are still successing without nicotine. I'm thankful for each day that passes. Lately, my cravings have kicked up a bit but I'm getting passed them one at a time. Hope to hear from you all soon.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 06:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%

how are you getting on/?
richard
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 11:06

Plan: adkins
Stats: 131/131/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

I lost 22 lbs on Atkins, then after 1 year I quit smoking. I put on 10 lbs and now can not get it off. It was 1 year 2/4/03 that I quit. Anyone out there got any ideas. i went back on induction and still no weight loss. If someone can help please reply. I need some answers!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 13:33

Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

congrats to everyone. I quit smoking on Jan 6 and started back on Low carb after gaining back 10 lbs over the holidays!!! My weight loss has been pretty slow this time, but I really think it is the ol body reacting to quitting the smokes.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 18:01

BF:

Hi Misscindy and Steffie,
Hang in there gals. My weight loss hit a big stall when I quit smoking. It must be a major system shock. It took almost 4 weeks to start up again. In the meantime, water, water, water, okay? Induction level carbs may help too but I also found that when I wasn't eating enough I stopped losing. So less IS NOT MORE on this program, IMHO.
Keep in touch!
BTW....How's everyone else doing out there???
Richard, Jerry, Pat .......how's things???
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 22:48

Stats: 225/205/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I just recently accepted a postion that would require me to not smoke for pretty much my whole 12hour shift. I thought it would help me to quit, and since I am on Atkins and losing already, what better time? Hmmm. reading this thread has me shuddering. Last year I gained 20 lbs. I have lost those 20 lbs and now have only lost 1 pound in three weeks, even going to the gym. Feel like a gross pig. I am right now laming it on TOM. We'll see. I feel for all you quitters. i quit on Zyban and want to kick my own a!! for starting again. Went almost 5 months. Oh, well, I dont think I would have made it through my sisters death last year without ciggies. Would have started chewing my toenails on top of my figernails.

Good luck, I will be back here when its my time to quit.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 10:18
Registered Member

Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%

Hi Heather,

Thanks for posting. Yes, you'll know when you're mentally geared up to quit. That's the thing about this addiction - our loved ones can beg us, we can read all the scary information, we can know how bad we smell and feel, but when it comes right down to the DECISION, it's a big commitment and totally personal.

We'll be here when you're ready!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 13:30

Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress:

Hi all! I, too, am a quitter and Low Carber. My 1 year anny of not smoking is March 17, 2003. I stated the LC WOL January 13. I feel terrific. I had put some on over the holidays/since quitting, and am trying to get rid of it before summer. Today is my first day in the forum. Glad to be here!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 07:56

BF:
Default Welcome!

Hi Colpeppah
Welcome to LC'ing and to the forums. Congrats on your upcoming anniversary too! That's awesome. You might want to start a "journal" in the journal thread and keep track of your progress. It's also been very helpful for me to post my stats in my profile and see the % progress. Helps keep me motivated. You'll find tons of great reading here and also a great group of folks.

So welcome and enjoy!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 16:57

Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I too have quit and started Low Carbing. I quit 1-6-03. I have hit HUGE stalls since quitting. People kept telling me that it must be something I am eating but I have been doing this WOE for quite sometime and never ran into stalls like this. Since I quite 2 months ago I have only lost 4 pounds!!!

I am going to hang in there!