Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 04:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Type 2 Diabetes: Is It an Autoimmune Disease?

On the one hand, this highlights new discoveries about how our bodies work. On the other hand, they still have the entire treatment of autoimmune wrong, per Dr. Terry Wahls and my own experience.

The article in question is only a few months old but builds on research that I’ve traced back to at least 2011.

Quote:
Early research suggests that the two types of diabetes may have more in common than previously believed. In the last decade, researchers have tested the idea that type 2 diabetes is an autoimmune disease, similar to type 1 diabetes.

Researchers have found evidence that insulin resistance may be the result of immune system cells attacking the body’s tissues. These cells are designed to produce the antibodies that fight invading bacteria, germs, and viruses.

In people with type 2 diabetes, these cells may mistakenly attack healthy tissue.

They still don’t get Leaky Gut Syndrome. The immune system isn’t mistaken. There really are invading proteins and the immune system is doing what it is supposed to.

But we have a way of treating Type II which restores function, because lowcarb often addresses leaky gut. Instead, they want to do what already doesn’t work:

Quote:
If type 2 diabetes is an autoimmune disease, that could change the treatment strategy. Instead of exercise and insulin, doctors might consider immunosuppressant medications.

One such immunosuppressant medicine is rituximab (Rituxan, MabThera). It belongs to a group of drugs known as anti-CD20 antibodies. These medicines are designed to target and eliminate the immunity cells that are attacking healthy tissue.

In one 2011 study, anti-CD20 antibodies successfully prevented lab mice at high risk for type 2 diabetes from developing the disorder. The treatment even restored their blood sugar levels to normal.

But this medication has a black box warning:

Quote:
BOXED WARNINGS: SEVERE MUCOCUTANEOUS REACTIONS, HEPATITIS B VIRUS REACTIVATION and PROGRESSIVE MULTIFOCAL LEUKOENCEPHALOPATHY

Severe Mucocutaneous Reactions: Severe, including fatal, mucocutaneous reactions can occur in patients receiving rituximab-containing products, including RITUXAN HYCELA
Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Reactivation: HBV reactivation can occur in patients treated with rituximab-containing products, including RITUXAN HYCELA, in some cases resulting in fulminant hepatitis, hepatic failure, and death. Screen all patients for HBV infection before treatment initiation, and monitor patients during and after treatment with RITUXAN HYCELA. Discontinue RITUXAN HYCELA and concomitant medications in the event of HBV reactivation
Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (PML), including fatal PML, can occur in patients receiving rituximab-containing products, including RITUXAN HYCELA

Just to give an indication of their disordered thinking on this subject.

The past few months I’ve plunged into research for help with my own autoimmune issues. The path laid out via Dr. Terry Wahls The Wahls Protocol), Tara Grant (The Hidden Plague) and Phil Escott (ARTHRITIS - The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me) is one that recognizes that all these disparate diseases, maybe including diabetes and atherosclerosis, are ALL autoimmune. They had complete remission by addressing their individual leaky gut issues, and healing with ketosis.

Using toxic drugs to shut down the immune system so the symptoms go away is as stupid as not calling the fire department when the house has a fire because firemen are always there when the house burns down completely.

As part of my research, I see the pattern of drug treatment for autoimmuinty, which is about steroids (which raise blood sugar) which stop working, then the heavy drugs with the black box warning, where the symptoms abate and you die of something else within ten years.

And the crash is hideously spectacular. Provided your kidneys survive, which they often don’t, and then you are on dialysis until you maybe get a transplant and then you can take even more immune suppressive drugs.

This is as wrong, and as deadly, a path as statins are. Medical science is locked onto this concept that the problem is the symptoms of disease, and if they can make them go away, they are doing what they are supposed to do.

Health, in the meantime, has nothing to do with it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 05:04

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I need to go back and reread the Hidden Plague. I read through it so fast in one night and that was about 2 years ago.

Immune suppressive drugs, yes I have a bag full sitting in a cabinet that I never took which was for my colon problem. Fiber Menace reinforced everything that I had found out myself the hard way. Dr. gave me a bunch of mumbo jumbo about how women's immune systems are stronger then men and that's why we live longer blablabla and (My interpretation )that's what I'm pushing this week because that's what the pharmaceutical sales person dumped on me to get rid of. Not to mention the $80,000 in "incentives" from the drug company.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 05:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I had gotten very sick with that nasty virus in the fall, and was desperate to get through my days with DH likewise down. So I would just grab an armful of frozen, organic, gluten-free frozen dinners. Which made things worse!

Then my doctor, who was great about explaining things and listening to me, retired. I was really on my own. But that was good. My end game is looking a lot better than theirs.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-19, 05:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Effectively, I have no real doctor. The one mention is a Gastro Dr. and he was the best of three. The old Dr.s have all died and the Pediatrician (mine, children's and Grand Children)I've known for 50 years is old as heck so I have nobody.
I learn everything here and from books!