Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 00:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/226/150 Female 5’5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Atkins chewy chocolate nut bars

When are we allowed to have these and the shakes? I’m thinking these are not for induction phase? Saw them at Walmart and they looked yummy 😋
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 03:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The answer rather depends if you plan to follow rules on the Atkins website, or what is posted in the sticky above of this forum. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482.
The ANA company would likely suggest you can have these in any phase of the diet. But many members here are more successful if they stick with the 2002 induction rules, and only count Total Carbs, and stay close to 20g until near goal. Bars do not fit that version of Atkins at all, the shakes occasionally may be used, but imo you are better off using real food. Comments on that link go into the reasons why, but use of processed foods a personal choice.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 08:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

My success in following Induction and staying consistent with a low carb approach over the years has been to not consume processed foods of any kind. I'm one who has strong feelings about Atkins or similar products, they corrupt my metabolism and will never have the slightest consideration as a part of my way of eating. In addition, the companies that manufacture these "food" products prey on people who are getting started with low carb knowing that we all are new to this approach and initially are looking for ways we can eat like we've always eaten with substitutes for our old favorites. This is a falsehood, and once a person has been consistent with low carb for a few months, the desire for all the old unhealthy foods and sweets goes away. The difference is night and day.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/226/150 Female 5’5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks for the info and advice . I will stay away from them!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 04:48

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Calista. What they said!

As you get further down the road in your lifelong commitment (yes!) to low-carb eating, you'll find many ways to add convenience to your food choices. As tempting as bars and shakes may be, they perpetuate the "snack" habit most of us work hard to overcome.

Personally, I've never found any diet bar or shake to be as "yummy" as fresh ingredients I whomp up at home. Keep poking around this site to find many good ideas and recipes for food you'll love.

Best wishes.