Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:50
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%
Default Are their any studies/research questioning the importance of fibre in the diet?

Not sure it this post should be in the health section or here but as I wanted to know from a research perspective have decided to post here.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on ‘traditional diets’ lately (American Indian, Eskimo, Masai etc.) and got to wondering about their bowel habits…..especially the ones that live mainly on meat and fat. They obviously don’t/didn’t get a lot of fibre in their diet but I’ve seen no mention of increased rates of colon cancer or anything like that in any of the literature I’ve read.

Lots of people complain of being constipated when low carbing but are they really constipated or just not going as often? As long as you’re not truly constipated, how important is it to go “regularly”?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 00:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It was years ago, back during the low fat craze daze, there was an article in Health magazine about Eskimos and how they ate virtually nothing but meat and fat most of the year.

I believe the fiber they got was strictly from the animals. There might have been indigestible bits that they ate, I don't recall the details except my impression was there was quite a bit of gristly stuff.

The other thing people wonder about is how do they get enough vitamin C? It might actually come from eating some of the things raw.

Or maybe they eat seaweed?

Not sure. But I bet I'd lose a lot of weight on THAT diet!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 00:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It was years ago, back during the low fat craze daze, there was an article in Health magazine about Eskimos and how they ate virtually nothing but meat and fat most of the year.

I believe the fiber they got was strictly from the animals. There might have been indigestible bits that they ate, I don't recall the details except my impression was there was quite a bit of gristly stuff.

The other thing people wonder about is how do they get enough vitamin C? It might actually come from eating some of the things raw.

Or maybe they eat seaweed?

Not sure. But I bet I'd lose a lot of weight on THAT diet!

I can't speak for the Fiber, other than that I don't buy the Fiber is needed for proper bowel health. As for the Vitamin C...some Animal products contain Vitamin C, despite the misconception [which even some "experts" repeat that only plant products contain Vitamin C.] Some cold-water fish have 5% or so. But, what I've heard supplied most of the Vitamin C for the Eskimo was Moose Adrenal Glands...

http://www.drrons.com/nutrition_westonaprice.html
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 01:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

From the above link:

Quote:
When Dr. Price interviewed a surgeon named Josef Romeg in Alaska in 1933, Dr. Romeg had been for 35 years caring for both the native people and the settlers who inhabited the seaport trading villages. Price wrote that Romeg told him that in those 35 years, he'd never seen a single case of cancer among the native people living in remote areas where they ate none of the white man's foods—sugar, flour, canned goods, and vegetable oils. These were what Price called the "foods of commerce," which the white men traded for animal skins. Dr. Romeg said that when the native Alaskans began eating these refined foods, they became subject to all of the diseases the white men suffered with-dental disease at first, then rheumatoid arthritis and tuberculosis, and after a few years, cancer. Romeg said that he had taken to sending the sick ones back to their native villages, far from the white man's foods, where they often recovered.
As impressive as Weston Price found the physical strength of primitive Eskimos, he was even more impressed with their character. He wrote of their courage, honesty, openness, dedication to family and community, and their ability to survive and thrive in their harsh northern environment. And that brings me to my next story, once again set in the far north. Great, unexplored areas of northern British Columbia and the Yukon Territory were still inhabited by Indians in the 1930's when Price visited. Groups of Indians lived in the regions inside the Canadian Rockies in the far north, where winter temperatures of seventy below zero precluded the possibility of growing cereal grains or fruits, or of keeping dairy animals. The diet of these Indians was thus almost entirely limited to wild animals and some plants and berries in the summer.

One old Indian was asked through an interpreter why Indians did not get scurvy, which as you know is from vitamin C deficiency. He replied that scurvy was a white man's disease; while it was a possibility for Indians, they knew how to prevent it and white men did not. When asked why he did not tell white men how, he replied white men knew too much to ask Indians anything. Asked how, he went to his chief for permission to tell. Upon returning he explained that when an Indian kills a moose, he opens it up and finds the small ball in the fat above each kidney. He cuts these balls-the adrenal glands-into pieces that are immediately eaten, one by each Indian in the family.

The adrenal glands, we now know, are among the richest sources of vitamin C in all animal or plant tissues. Cooking destroys vitamin C. The Indians' empirical knowledge and use of different organs and tissues of animals has certainly been verified by modern methods of analysis. Their wisdom preceded these methods, and the discovery of vitamin C, by thousands of years.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 01:27
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

The more I read the more I feel the need to question long held beliefs.

Just found this interesting article called ‘The Bran Wagon’.……it states that wheat bran should be avoided like the plague.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ch...rol_myth_3.html

Here’s another way to get your vitamins (excerpted from ‘Guts & Grease – The Diet of the Native Americans)

“In the old days we used to eat the guts of the buffalo, making a contest of it, two fellows getting hold of a long piece of intestines from opposite ends, starting chewing toward the middle, seeing who can get there first; that’s eating. Those buffalo guts, full of half-fermented, half-digested grass and herbs, you didn’t need any pills and vitamins when you swallowed those.”
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: My Own LC plan
Stats: 230/153/155 Male 68
BF:32%/11-12%/9-10%
Progress: 103%

Life Without Bread Takes a very interesting approach to this. They say that grains and other high fiber foods are an unnatural laxative, constantly forcing the bowels to move. Over time the bowel lose their normal muscle tone and just let the unnatural fiber do the work.

After a bit of time on LC the bowel muscles regain their ability to work normaly, as many LC's can attest to.

JWJ