Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 12:27

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Things I've passed up the last few months.

Food that has been offered to me, mainly by co-workers and family members that I have said "no thank you" to:

triple chocolate cake
pizza
home made bread
cookies
hershey kisses (someone handed these out to everyone at work and I gave mine away)
chips and salsa
pecan pie
doritos
These are just a few. I feel so good knowing that I don't need will power on this WOL. I'm no longer addicted to sugar/carbs.

Candyless
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/143/120 Female 175 cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

here are some of the main things i have given up:

milk - i used to love drinking cold skim milk straight from the container
really frothy lattes
bread - i could seriously eat a whole loaf! and don't even get me started on french baguettes
pasta - one of my favourite old meals was a really creamy tuna pasta
cheesecake - my favourite dessert! and i still haven't gotten around to attempting to make a low carb one
chips - french fries with mayo, salt and vineger, or just crunchy potato chips in a packet - i like plain or salt and vinegar
cereal - i have always been a fan of bland old cereal - the crunchier the better, like that roasted oats variety
fruit - i used to be a total fruit bat. i would just snack on fruit ALL DAY. i used to think it was healthy, and it probably is for some people, but the truth is for my body it was simply feeding a desperate sugar addiction

there are more but i can't think right now...anyway, i'm glad to be rid of all of them! besides, if you're creative you can come up with low carb solutions to all of them

xx

that was cathartic!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 12:47

Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyless
Food that has been offered to me, mainly by co-workers and family members that I have said "no thank you" to:

triple chocolate cake
pizza
home made bread
cookies
hershey kisses (someone handed these out to everyone at work and I gave mine away)
chips and salsa
pecan pie
doritos
These are just a few. I feel so good knowing that I don't need will power on this WOL. I'm no longer addicted to sugar/carbs.

Candyless

Candyless...you are living up to your name WTG! You are going to reach your goal in no time!

I can honestly say I haven't cheated since May. Well, I had one half of a potatoe chip and a small bite of my husbands ice cream (ya know the cone dipped in chocolate) I ate the top of it, probably equal to half a teaspoon. I did this twice I really haven't had any low carb desserts, just some nuts and that all total was less than half a cup, since May.

I gave up my Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Pepsi's, pasta, bread, chocolate, cream cheese danish.... oh the memories and just look where it got me!!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 12:55

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Ge-Ma,
I made chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy last night for the family. Mashed potatoes are my favorite. I told the family they probably needed more salt or pepper because I couldn't taste them to see if they tasted ok.

Candyless
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 13:20

Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyless
Ge-Ma,
I made chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy last night for the family. Mashed potatoes are my favorite. I told the family they probably needed more salt or pepper because I couldn't taste them to see if they tasted ok.

Candyless

YOU GO GIRL!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 13:37

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

the things i've given up or had to intentionally turn down...

almond & chocolate croissants
boston creme donuts
pizza
ice cream bars (my work hands them out every so often)
a 1lb box of chocolates i got from a co-worker
the tootsie roll one of the guards passed to me a couple of weeks ago
cinnamon buns (apparently bought especially for me)
and very shortly, i'll be passing up a cheesecake factory cheesecake that i'll be getting my fiance for his birthday
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 13:44
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Good job everyone! The reference to Ben & Jerry's got me thinking and I tried to think back to the last time I had some. It *might* have been last Valentine's Day....hmmmm...but no, I recall my DH getting me ONE peanut butter cup candy as a way to give me something without going overboard. So when was it? 2005? Holy crap, people. I used to LIVE on Chocolate fudge brownie and happily accept Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough as a great flavor alternative! I could eat a whole container in one sitting...that was DESSERT for me after a pizza dinner. Wow. And now I can say it's been at least a YEAR since I had any?

Makes ya think, huh?

P.S. Kvon, why not get your fiance the 6 carb cheesecake factory cheesecake...I tried it recently (a half slice) and it was yummy! Then again it probably has bad things in it, so maybe I shouldn't promote you eating it. Sorry. Bad Lisa!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 13:58
Registered Member

Stats: 160/152/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I like this thread. While I think it's not a good thing to dwell on what you're giving up, but it is good to look at how many things we've passed on so easily. The power!

Here's my list of things I passed on the last few weeks:

Beer
Sausage & Pepper Sandwiches (but I did have some sausage)
Fried Rice
Hot, buttered toast
Chocolate fudge brownie sundae (damn my sister!)
Brick oven pizza
Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby ...that was difficult
Sour Cream & Chive potato chips
Cheez-Its
Oatmeal w/blueberries
Bananas
Homemade Mac & Cheese

The beginning was harder than it is now. I actually have to remind myself to eat these days. My appetite has really diminished. My only concern is 2 weeks from now when TOM comes around, I'm sure I'll be here lots!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 15:02
Registered Member

Stats: 154.5/148.0/140 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

[QUOTE=anna_28048]here are some of the main things i have given up:

cereal - i have always been a fan of bland old cereal - the crunchier the better, like that roasted oats variety
besides, if you're creative you can come up with low carb solutions to all of them

QUOTE]

I have a low(er) carb solution for your cereal. Once I reach pre-maintenance, I'll be making & eating this again for breakfast. It's yummy, filling & crunchy.

Homemade granola (this is my recipe, so there aren't any real measurements):

Into the largest baking dish you have (min 9x13) pour large flake slow cook oats to half fill the dish. Add nuts (I use unsalted mixed nuts), sunflower seeds,coconut & pepitas to nearly fill to the top. You can also liberally add bran, flax and or oat bran as desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste. Melt 1/2 cup butter in the microwave in a glass measuring cup. Add 1/4-1/2 cup honey (to taste) & stir until thoroughly mixed. Bake in 325 oven for 20 minutes, remove & stir. Continue to bake at 325, stirring every 20 minutes until the oats are well toasted. (I find it takes 4 or 5 goes of 20 mins to be truly done).

Remove from oven and allow to cool. If you want fruit in your granola, add your favourite dried fruit and stir as soon as you remove from the oven for the last time. Allow to cool & store in airtight container in the fridge.

It's yummy with milk or yogurt on top!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 15:36

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I've got you all beat. lol. I'm in culinary school and in addition to my regular cooking classes, I also have baking and pastry arts class. I pass on treat "scraps" all day long! I was worried that I'd have a hard time with school starting again, but in the two weeks that I've been back, it's been a piece of cake...(mmm, cake!). lol.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
P.S. Kvon, why not get your fiance the 6 carb cheesecake factory cheesecake...I tried it recently (a half slice) and it was yummy! Then again it probably has bad things in it, so maybe I shouldn't promote you eating it. Sorry. Bad Lisa!

are you flipping SERIOUS? they have a lowcarb cheesecake????

and here i was just going to get him the mocha one i got a couple of years ago.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 18:12
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM

and here i was just going to get him the mocha one i got a couple of years ago.

UM....HELLO!!!????? They have their famous "6 carb" cheesecake. I went with a dear friend there last fall (for the first time) and knew right away I had to try it. OMG it was good. Now it's not for all the time mind you, but I had half a slice one night and half the other and it was pure freakin heaven to me having not touched any sweets for awhile. I think it's what inspired me to start kicken LC cheesecake butt and taking names. There is a thread around here somewhere...http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=317435 Here is one...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 18:51

Stats: 204.0/121.5/115.0 Female 5'2"
BF:22%
Progress: 93%

Figi's also has a low-carb marble cheesecake that is really great and available on-line. I ordered one for the holidays and ate a couple bites a day for almost a month. YUM!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 18:57

now see, the problem with this will be wrestling it away from my fiance. he is a TOTAL cheesecake NUT. i keep meaning to look for a springform pan so i can make some and then keep spacing it.

famous, huh? this goes to show you just how much i pay attention to the cheesecake factory
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 19:32

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM

Go to calorie-king website or the like. It's not actually 6 carbs. My heart was broken!

Calories 610
(Kilojoules 2550)

Total Fat 57 g 88%
Saturated Fat 29 g 145%
Cholesterol 270 mg 90%
Sodium 410 mg 17%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g 13%
Dietary Fiber 12 g 48%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 16 g