Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Is Keto a Man Diet?
Yes 4 16.00%
No 21 84.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-19, 12:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The argument about more protein for muscle for men--but that isn't really specific to keto. Also if women needed less protein per calorie, that would mean they could go with a version of keto that's more um, ketogenic, anyways. Needing less protein, if they did, wouldn't mean that they shouldn't get most of their calories from fat otherwise, rather than carbohydrate. I'm currently on a month long increased protein intake, but I think I usually eat less protein than many women on this board. A professional bodybuilder (or amateur for that matter) would probably tell me to eat a sandwich, but I'm not exactly real-world sarcopenic.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-19, 15:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I think it's socialization. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next day 10 years. For 20 somethings, the body positivity movement has made it "sexy to see women chow down." This seems to apply to everything from junk food like pizza to " traditionally man foods" like wings or burgers...
I'm 35 and when I was a teen, salads and being vegetarian were all the rage for girls (Alicia Silverstone was an outspoken vegan and made it very trendy for us to emulate her diet). The heroin chic look was also the fashion of the day. Girls now want want big booties, breasts and thick thighs.....

And your post made me laugh!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-19, 02:17

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

My wife always tells me when she sees keto or atkins mentioned on the talk show type deal programs that she watches. This has been happening more often of late. I don't watch t.v. so I take her word for it lol. While she won't cut all sugar, she has significantly cut carbs - following my lead. She always calls me and shows me her bg reading when it's low.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-19, 07:44

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

On the other hand, if you look outside our beautiful low-carb community seems that the salads and fruit are preferred by females and the meat and potatoes are preferred by males.

You never hear anyone say, "She's a real meat and potatoes gal".

Now I certainly didn't mean to imply that keto is a diet for men only. I just thought as a genera rule (and yes, I know generalizations have tons of exceptions) it seems to be the kind of diet a man would choose first.

Before keto, decades ago, my DW at a lot more salads, veggies, and fruit than I did, and if my circle of friends is even a rough example of the world, the only vegans I know are female, and for the other vegetarians I know the ration would be 4:1 female:male

Now I certainly don't think women aren't supposed to be keto. My DW and I are doing fine with it. And we both seem to be healthier and younger looking than our peers of the same age.

But I still think if you offer the keto diet to the average US resident, they males would be more likely to say "Meat? Cheese? Few veggies? Little or no fruit? I'm in!"

Again this is all in fun, please don't take offense.

I think if there were one diet that worked for everybody, there would only need to be one diet book. I also think "sugar is the new tobacco" and that if the world would severely reduce their sugar and high glycemic starches, most of us would be healthier. Males and females alike.

OK, have more fun with this. There is no right or wrong answer.

Bob
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-19, 08:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
I think it's socialization. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next day 10 years. For 20 somethings, the body positivity movement has made it "sexy to see women chow down." This seems to apply to everything from junk food like pizza to " traditionally man foods" like wings or burgers...
I'm 35 and when I was a teen, salads and being vegetarian were all the rage for girls (Alicia Silverstone was an outspoken vegan and made it very trendy for us to emulate her diet). The heroin chic look was also the fashion of the day. Girls now want want big booties, breasts and thick thighs.....

And your post made me laugh!

And your post made me laugh. Thanks!

And I'm inclined to agree with your socialization suggestion.

How easily the media manipulates us. Males and females alike.

I remember when city and suburban guys who didn't need pickup trucks didn't buy them, because it implied they were in the laborer class. Before that it was black SUV's because in the media both the good guys and bad guys drove them.

And I remember when if a female drove a pickup truck, that immediately classified them as in the dirt farmer group.

There was a time when only rock and rollers wore long hair, and if country guys came across a guy with long hair, there was potential trouble brewing.

Tattoos are everywhere now. It used to be tough and less than respectable guys or former navy men were the only ones who sported a tattoo.

And what about "Goth"? That was one I didn't care for, but they didn't do it for me. When I was young I had my own terrible hippie looks. My parents hated it and looking back, they certainly were correct

Most males and females do what the media tells us to do. I guess we want to be in with the in crowd, and the media tells us what the in crowd is doing.

As far as girls wanting big booties, breasts and thick thighs, I know I'm not the arbiter of male taste, but I like the variety of pretty girls. Big, medium, and small booties, boobies, and legs have a different kind of pretty. And there is more than one kind of pretty. And I prefer natural body parts to obviously add-ons.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-19, 10:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Male or female? In my little family of two I have been LCing for almost 7 years; DH accepts & supports, but will never join in. He is German, likes his beer. Has a sweet tooth that has only got stronger since he quit smoking 30 years ago, and can't imagine giving up sweet pastries or dessert when offered (that is, at restaurants or at friends). He doesn't eat cheese, never has, doesn't like it, and while he likes meat he really feels a need for veggies alongside. Now I have always maintained, in all the 46 years I've known him, that we are like Jack Spratt & his wife. DH doesn't want much fat, and cuts it off his meat, whereas I used to cut it off too, if in public, for the "shame" of gobbling the best part :-). Luckily I never got entirely on the low fat wagon, having learned years ago about fat soluble vitamins, and also knowing instinctively that "low fat sour cream" and it's ilk are just plain wrongheaded. If I am cooking just for myself I will just as likely have some meat and forgo the veg.
DH has developed a taste for cauliflower rice though, and doesn't mind at all if I serve that instead of the grain ... with another veg on the side, of course.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-19, 13:47

BF:

I'm funny with fat. I trim the fat off steaks, but love bacon. Cheese is almost a daily ritual and I could eat KerryGold grass-fed butter with a spoon (but I don't). Just about anything cooked in butter or bacon fat tastes better than if it was cooked without.

My grandparents came to the US from Italy. When I grew up we had macaroni at least 3 times a week and when I went Atkins way back wen it was difficult to give up macaroni. I ate soy-based macaroni for a while and then discovered soy wasn't good for me due to its estrogen mimicking properties.

Other than the macaroni, I could have been referred to as a meat and potatoes man. I ate salads because they were supposed to be good for me, and used red wine vinegar and olive oil for dressing (just-a like-a my mama did). But to give it taste on went the cheese, bacon bits, sunflower seeds, nuts, and other non-green items. Oh and black olives - I adore black olives (not much into the green ones though).

It was more difficult for my DW as she loved her salads, veggies, and fruit. But as soon as she gave up sugars, she no longer had recurrent female specific health irritants. So for that reason, I would say keto is really a "Woman Diet". Or in many cases it should be.

On a related note, I had bursitis in my hip, inherited from my dad (I forgave him for that) that had bugged me since I was in my 20s. When it got bad, I found the Arthritis/Bursitis diet, much of which is low carb but adds no egg yolks, fowl, and organ meat due to the high arachidonic acid content. The bursitis is merely a distant memory now. It's gone!!!

My former neighbor was walking her dog using a cane and with a limp. She was way too young for that so I suggested the diet and printed it out for her.

In two months she was walking without the cane. It worked!

About 6 months later she was using the cane again. I asked her if the diet quit working and her response was, "I just couldn't give up my fruit." To each their own, if it were me, I'd rather walk than eat fruit.

The point of this is keto should have been that woman's diet.

Bob
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-19, 12:34

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think a lot of it is conditioning by the media, which is built on the general tendency for much of the last few decades on women being more likely to follow a low cal/low fat diet (approximately 90% of weight watchers members are female), subsisting mostly on salads and fruit in an attempt to achieve or maintain a low body weight. (In real life I don't personally know any female who eats LC and isn't afraid of fat - most I know who are on any kind of diet will automatically opt for a calorie counting diet, which means it's inevitably based on low fat, with lots of fruits and veggies) On the other hand, men are more likely to be depicted in the media as firing up the grill to cook some big juicy burgers, steaks, or ribs, or sitting down to a big plate of wings, or bacon and eggs, with the unmistakable message that real men eat meat and fat, and lots of it.

To that end, Hungry Man meals with their double portion of meat (and no skimping on the overall fat content of the meal - at least a couple of them have 72 g fat) are obviously marketed towards men, while all the "healthy" low fat, low calorie, minimal protein frozen meals (Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, usually with far less than 10 g fat) are generally marketed towards women. Remember this commercial for yogurt? How about this one? Those were both blatantly marketed towards women - you don't see too many fat free yogurt ads actually marketed towards men, although now that full fat greek yogurt is becoming fashionable, it's become a little more manly... but not with flavors that mimic decadent desserts, or marketed as being irresistible to women.

Hence, I think at least in some ways, when it comes to choosing a diet, women will generally tend to go the low fat route, which inevitably involves mostly veggies, fruits and other low fat/fat free foods (pasta, bread) - in part because it's what's been pushed on them for the last several decades, and in part because they tend to read more about diets in general (always looking for a new diet, a diet that really works), and the diet information tends to point out how much healthier for you a diet low in fat and meat is supposed to be, while a diet high in meat and fat will be labeled as a "heart attack on a plate". Men are more likely to go for a diet that sounds more manly, such as the Drinking Man's Diet, or some version of LC that allows them larger portions of meats and fats, because frankly, all those salad greens, low fat this, and fat free that isn't going to be satiating to a man.

But that's just the marketing, and how it's geared towards men vs. women.

Other than on LC forums like this on, in real life, I may not know any women who eat LC/keto, but I also don't know any men in real life who eat LC/Keto. I also don't know any men who voluntarily strictly eat low fat either - there's just not enough in that kind of diet to be satiating for them.

For myself, much as I tried, I could never really get into a low fat, veggies and fruit based diet - the carb content made me so hungry that it ended up more like the cookies, cake, and potato chip diet. So my vote is no, LC and/or keto aren't necessarily more appealing to men than women. I think it's that a lot of women are just scared to even try a diet based mostly on foods they've been warned for so long is bad for them, and will cause them to gain weight.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 17:30

BF:

I just got back from a week in Vienna and London.

I went to a lot of buffets with folks who are obviously not all keto folks.

As predictable, the vast majority of the females mostly went for the fruit and greens while the males went for meat and starch.

I don't know if this is conditioning or not, but it seems universal at least in the US and Europe.

Bob
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 21:44

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I wouldn’t say it’s conditioning Bob, I love meat but sometimes I just feel better crunching on freshies. Especially on a trip. You know, when you need the ”roughage.”
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 13:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
I wouldn’t say it’s conditioning Bob, I love meat but sometimes I just feel better crunching on freshies. Especially on a trip. You know, when you need the ”roughage.”

I know that there are some basic differences in female and male anatomy (besides for the reproductive systems). For example, women have more cones in their eyes than men, while men have more rods. This means women can see more colors and men can movement better. Gatherer and hunter? Perhaps.

So could the obvious female preference for veggies and fruit be a difference in taste buds? I have no idea, I'm just thinking out loud.

Bob
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 14:31

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I know that there are some basic differences in female and male anatomy (besides for the reproductive systems). For example, women have more cones in their eyes than men, while men have more rods. This means women can see more colors and men can movement better. Gatherer and hunter? Perhaps.
Bob

That's interesting!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 16:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I never like veggies and now I only eat salad greens and some chopped onion. As a child I ate the meat of the pot roast first, took seconds on chicken, loved cheese and olives.

It was Puritan thinking that compared meat, fat, and other "rich" foods with a spartan, Kellogg-influenced, low fat/high roughage diet. Because one seems more virtuous!

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Sep-27-19 at 02:28.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 09:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
That's interesting!

You might be interested in the book Why Gender Matters

Among other things I learned in addition to females have more cones and men have more rods in their eyes. ...

Women have their emotions wired to their speech centers and men do not, that's why we have trouble telling you how we feel.

If counseling or correcting a female it's better face to face and a male shoulder to shoulder.

Lots of gems in that book, I gave my copy to a friend who teaches elementary school and she said it helped her immensely.

I think every parent should also read this book.

What amazed me is that many of the generalizations we make about men and women have a biological connection. But knowing which ones are hardwired in our genders also makes the B.S. generalizations easier to identify - and sadly there are a lot of B.S. generalizations.

Bob

Note: It doesn't tell me why females seem to like veggies more than males