Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 17:52

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%
Default I need help to quit smoking again!!

Hi my name is Brenda and I quit smoking for a short time a couple years back and like a fool picked them up again!
I really want to quit now and have since I picked the things up, if anyone can believe that, but its true!
I have a site to go to and if I could just put them down I would go there for further reading to prevent me from picking them up again. But right now nothing seems to work!
I know you have to really want to quit and I really do but can find every reason, every morning that I need one then two then............
I am sure you all know the rest of that story!

I have taken Chantix and it gave me terrible nightmares and kept me up all nite so that is out! Besides I am not too sure that would work on me even if I just did not sleep or had nightmares until it did kick in.
Truth is, cold turkey works best and I know that, but then I have da ja vue of when I quit before and the terrible days for weeks!
But I know that is how I need to do it, but I need some help and support to get there.
Oh well I just came hoping to get support from people that have quit and people that can stay on me to do it again myself.
Thank you all in advance for reading and for all the help you offer.
HAVE A GOOD EVENING!
Brenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 19:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175.0/132.2/135.0 Female 5'6"
BF:less than before!
Progress: 107%

Hi Brenda!

I have quit and started many, many times. I quit for 3 months 2 years ago and am kicking myself for picking them up again in October 2006. I am now faced with quitting again because I have surgery July 4th. My surgeon will cancel if I don't quit. My quit date is slated for April 23rd. I have tried taking meds many times and they always resulted in the same severe depressive reactions and the patches always give me awful nightmares. I will be going cold turkey (which worked for my last quit) It will be a hellish first three days for me. Have you set a date yet??

Wishing you the VERY best!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 20:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You can both do this; you've done it before and you can do it again. Addictions are tough to kick and you both may benefit from some self-help books on overcoming addictions.
Coming to the decision to quit is the first step, but support is also important.
Find someone to whom you can be accountable, preferably a person who you can meet with face to face as well as finding support online. The single most important thing that helped me quit and still helps me stay quit was getting it through my thick skull that it was not my love for smoking that kept me smoking, it was my addiction to nicotine and when push came to shove, I could not name one single thing that I honesty liked about smoking other than making the craving for nicotine go away for a while.
All the other times I tried to quit, I had done it with the mindset of having to give up something I liked and enjoyed and thinking like that kept leading me right back to it even though I knew that it was hurting my health.
Keep quitting until the quit sticks.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 20:21
Go Seminoles......

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:baby phat
Progress: 16%

Start and Inspiration will find you.....

Pick a quit date!