Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-12, 22:00

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

This thread is really helping me. Well said Lisa and all! The golden shot and especially knowing your plan, not trying to whiz it from memory hits home. I am on my umpteenth re-do for Suzanne Somers. I love the WOE. I keep trying to bend the rules. Not working! Thanks everybody.
Kat
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 17:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 217/216/178 Female 76"
BF:
Progress:
Question cheating?on weekends

I have been sticking to diet all week, but I have three kids and I heard u can use confusion to keep it going. I wanted to know if its ok to eat healthy but more carve on weekends? Please help, also ive been getting headaches.
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/179/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

THANK YOU for your posts here. I am new to the forum and new to beginning my path on Atkins. What LC vision notes along with Lisa's initial post is so very helpful. I will continue to read along. I suspect I have found a new home and a wonderful source of support buddies. TYVM

gnuvision
  #124   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 04:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Accept that it won't be fast for most people. Expecting to lose 5lb every week is totally unrealistic, apart from during the first week or two of water loss. Don't expect miracles. A very occasional person experiences a near miracle of rapid weight-loss, but they are very rare exceptions. Everyone else loses weight a lot slower than that - 1-2lb a week or less. Some people get stuck at the same weight for months and they stick with the diet. They're the ones who reach their goal. The ones who cannot stick it often return several years later, 200lb heavier, on insulin for diabetes or having had weight-loss surgery, etc..

Sticking with the diet through ups and downs is essential for long-term success on any diet. Find a way of eating that you enjoy by searching out quality foods and great recipes, and settle in for the long-haul.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 04:16

BF:

The sooner you lose the addiction and reliance on sugar and wheat, or substitutes for them, the sooner you will discover the pleasure of eating "real" food..

Forget about sweet recipes and substitutes for carbs..

Start eating with a knife and fork, and challenge your tastebuds by exploring new foods - Dr. Atkins has lists of shellfish, fish, vegetables, etc. Try to find a new recipe every week and incorporate new foods in your diet. That's the way to find a diet which is interesting, varied, fresh and tasty.
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 03:58

BF:

Calories matter - particularly as you get nearer your goal. Dr. Atkins explained this in all his diet books. Adding a ton of unnecessary oil to your diet is just pouring calories in, unless you cut down the protein, etc. to compensate. Here's a post with quotes directly taken from the Atkins books:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...884&postcount=9

Here's a useful tool for estimating what your calorific intake should be:

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Jun-22-12 at 06:10.
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 04:13

BF:

On the Atkins diet, Dr. Atkins said people don't need to suffer. If you're experiencing adverse symptoms from the induction period of the diet, try increasing the carbs a bit, while sticking to the induction foods allowed.
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 10:27
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
On the Atkins diet, Dr. Atkins said people don't need to suffer. If you're experiencing adverse symptoms from the induction period of the diet, try increasing the carbs a bit, while sticking to the induction foods allowed.

And also consider adding some salt, like chicken stock. Many people lose a lot of water weight during induction, which causes them to lose electrolytes. Drinking some chicken stock or other salty options can help combat that "induction flu".

--Melissa
  #129   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 11:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lots of great tips here for avoiding fatigue from your new diet's initiation period.
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 07:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-phase 1
Stats: 180/175/140 Female 5'-6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchouest
What a horrible way to start this off... LOL!

This is not my 1st or even 2nd time attempting this way of life. The 1st time my Dh was not very supprtive he also wasn't openly unsupportive just made lots of comments. The 2nd time was when we 1st seperated again friends were not very supportive. THIS IS MY TIME... But i do need a friend
.. I need someone to talk to, and share with; to walk this journey with. I'm starting 2010 and leaving all the sludge of 2009 behind. If anyone is out there and they are looking for a buddy to help motivate each other and keep the prize in sight please think of me!!!

Hey girl, It's been awhile sine you posted this, just wondering if you're still here!!!
  #131   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-12, 22:59

Stats: 135/135/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default so.. what bars are ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I have a feeling that the traffic will be picking up substanially starting Sat/Sun/Mon.

Soooo.....

Let's list some of the most important things for these newcomers so that maybe we don't need to repeat ourselves 12 times. We could just refer them to this thread.

I'll start off with:

1. Read the book. Know your plan. Follow your plan thru all the written stages.

2. Weight loss is not linear. DO NOT expect to lose weight every day. Weight loss comes in fits and spurts.

3. Measure before starting. Although you may see no loss on the scale, you could still be losing inches.

4. If you are at this again, I DO NOT believe in the one golden shot theory. If that were so, I would not be here at goal after the third time having a re-do. I do believe that the more you repeat, the more you are doing the plan by memory which is not such a great idea--you become a bit fast and loose with the plan when you're doing it by memory. In addition, you're older, you may have health or metabolic/hormone issues, you may be taking medication that makes it harder for you to loose, but not entirely impossible.

5. Stay away from bars, shakes, and other foods that are packaged as low carb, particularly in the beginning. Although perhaps labeled induction friendly (I'm thinking Atkins products) they are NOT. Don't be fooled.

6. Dieting is hard--don't let anybody try and tell you it's not. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.

I could probably go on but I'll let some wise LC participants chime in here.

To all you newbies good luck!

Lisa

Progress not perfection.

are there any bars that are ok to eat? maybe not atkins but something else..?
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-12, 00:24
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

If you're in the induction phase my advice is to stay away from ALL bars and eat whole fresh foods.
Particularly in the beginning phases of your journey, bars do nothing but perpetuate the need for sweet. With that said, as you get some time and familiarity with the plan under your belt and you begin to move thru the phases of OWL you may find that occasional bars do have a place. Bars are a very tricky item when LCing--it definitely is a YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY.
HTH
Progress not perfection.
Lisa
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-12, 08:10

Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
If you're in the induction phase my advice is to stay away from ALL bars and eat whole fresh foods.
Particularly in the beginning phases of your journey, bars do nothing but perpetuate the need for sweet. With that said, as you get some time and familiarity with the plan under your belt and you begin to move thru the phases of OWL you may find that occasional bars do have a place. Bars are a very tricky item when LCing--it definitely is a YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY.
HTH
Progress not perfection.
Lisa

My experience definitely agrees with Lisa's advice. The diet bars slowed me down in losing and kept me from exploring whole food options. And I do think embracing "real" or "whole" foods it the way to go. Sweeteners etc just get me filled up on less or non-nutritious stuff.

But as she said, YMMV. I did use the bars for a couple of weeks when I started. They helped me over that habit of going to the cupboard for a snack in the evenings and I limited them to one per day. I did not consider that a "clean" induction though and continued on induction after I stopped them. I found as I got further away from sugar and processed foods, the bars really didn't taste that good and they were easy to drop. Not necessarily advising this as the quicker you go to whole foods the better off you are.
  #134   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-12, 04:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I used the bars for emergencies; I could keep them in my desk drawer at work, or my purse.

But since going gluten free I cannot digest them; they give me terrible cramps. That's a side effect of the sugar alcohols; and more consumption is even more drama!
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 15:10

Stats: 135/135/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I used the bars for emergencies; I could keep them in my desk drawer at work, or my purse.

But since going gluten free I cannot digest them; they give me terrible cramps. That's a side effect of the sugar alcohols; and more consumption is even more drama!

thank you so much for the responses.