Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-16, 18:53

Plan: <30 total carbs
Stats: 216/183/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default "Soul Bread" - Whey Protein Bread (1 carb slice)

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/

This bread was recommended on a low carb facebook group. It's made with whey protein as the flour substitute and is only 1 carb per slice. I guess there are also a lot of variations listed here as well.

I'm just curious if anyone has made this before? I'd like to try it out, but want to hear opinions before I shell out the cash for the whey protein. (They suggest only two brands that work with the recipe.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-16, 21:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found out that whey spikes my bg. Not sure why, unless it's because I have problems with dairy anyway. But for some reason I thought whey might be different. Nope - not for me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 08:07

Plan: <30 total carbs
Stats: 216/183/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

BonnieOFS, I'm always surprised at the individual tweaks people have to make with this way of eating. It goes so far beyond what I've read in the standard books.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 08:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix31
BonnieOFS, I'm always surprised at the individual tweaks people have to make with this way of eating. It goes so far beyond what I've read in the standard books.

Me, too. At first I was so disappointed when I found I couldn't eat what so many other low-carbers have no problem with (nuts & cheese are at the top of the list ), but now I've learned that I'm just a special snowflake.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-16, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF moderate protein
Stats: 183/176/140 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've seen that the recipe involves cream and cheese, and that may be the main cause of the GI peak (pls see my recent thread on cream & coffee).
Also, as far as I know, whey protein can cause a substantial insulin peak in blood serum even though devoid of carbs. So, theoretically, that kind of recipe even though very low-carb may not be the ideal in a weight-loosing context. Use of soy protein may avoid the issue.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-16, 17:30

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

This thread is kinda old, but I thought I'd add my two cents: I've made it, and I liked it. I like it better than any breads made from flax. I like it better than the Wheat Belly Basic Bread because that recipe is so calorically dense, I can't eat much more than a slice by itself before I'm full. Forget trying to make a two slice sandwich with fillings - I just can't eat that many calories in one sitting.

I have had blood glucose issues with whey protein as well - but only when it's whey protein by itself. If I add a raw egg to a whey protein shake, or eat a hard boiled egg with a Quest Bar, or buy a protein powder that also has casein, I don't get the subsequent blood sugar crash. I had no difficulties with the Soul Bread recipe in this regard.