Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 06:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Very interesting and informative thread...I think with all LC Plans that are out there one has to make an informative and personal commitment to exactly what they believe to be "gospel" that the LC authors of many of these books are presenting to the public...I personally have chosen to follow a LC Plan along the Eades guidelines but make it a point to read books by several authors to keep abreast of all viewpoints...am really looking forward to seeing this thread of the comparison of LC Diets come together...

Bonnie
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 09:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hey Bonnie!

I notice that nobody's volunteered to review Protein Power yet???

I too was following the original Protein Power pretty much to the letter, although the last few months I have cut the carbs back to Atkins' Induction Level. It was after reading YOUR description of the Eades' lastest book last fall --- Protein Power Lifeplan .. that I went right out and bought it. The science and research in it has helped me understand so much more about lowcarbing . and I like their writing style ... very "readable".

I'm currently reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution ...

Anyway, we're certainly still open to receive reviews of many different plans and programs.

Doreen
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 17:14

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Eebee,

We have exactly the same problem in the UK.

I have been trying to persuade the British Government to put a stop to a large number of operations in this country every year which I believe are unnecessary. These are such operations as wiring people's jaws together, stomach stapling, gastric bypass and inflating balloons in people's stomachs. The medical profession use this kind of operation to reduce the weight of people who would be in our "triple digit" club. My point is that such operations can be avoided by simply putting candidates onto a suitable low carbohydrate diet. The British Government, while sympathetic to any initiative aimed at reducing the rapidly-growing number of overweight people here as in the rest of the world, have expressed concern about low-carb diets. Apparently there is an international agreement to which the UK is a party that the amount of carbohydrates each person consumes be increased to a certain figure, higher than at present. On this basis, the Government feel unable to support my suggestions, because adopting them would contravene the agreed guidelines for carbohydrate consumption. Am I the crazy one? Surely these horrendous operations are far worse than contravening questionable guidelines? I have asked for more information from the Government, and depending what they say, I might be back to this forum in a few weeks asking what is known about this agreement elsewhere, and what sort of implementation other countries are imposing. I would certainly be interested to know about New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the USA. The worrying thing is that Governments take their advice from dieticians and doctors who all seem to promote the low-calorie and greater exercise regimens we know do not work, and they all dismiss our opinions as cranky, eccentric or weird. It seems from your post that the same applies in NZ.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 01:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Andy- I find this really interesting. As a public servent myself- in health funding -I can understand your frustration. They will have labeled you a crank! I am English too (emigrated in 1976 but still feel English). Government policy makers ( like me!! are not able to do the research themselves, they are administrators not clinicians. They (we!) are not experts in health only in health services admin. therefore must depend on experts in the field and so will always adopt the accepted theory. I think this is realistic- how could a bunch of bureaucrats make their own decisions on optimal health practices? So it is the clinicians that need convincing before government will accept the practice. I expect we in NZ are a party to the protocol you mention but I will ask my daughter to find out- she is a NZ diplomat so should be able to discover the relevant papers.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 13:28

BF:

eebee - fascinating. What you say makes perfect sense. The problem is those clinicians, who will definitely confirm to the British Government that I am a crank. I am working on ways to persuade them as well, but I find this leads to fragmentation - individual doctors can be impressed with evidence and stats, but the medical profession en masse remain unconvinced. The initials the Government official used were COMA, will try to find out more.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Unhappy The North Americans....

have been working for some time on a common (Canada, USA, presumably Mexico) macronutrient and micronutrient "RDA" equivalent... they've been tackling the micronutrients one by one for the last couple of years and are (IIRC) to tackle the macronutrients this and next year. Consensus. By Committee. Labelling Laws to follow. Uh Oh.

I'll see what I can dig up from over here in the middle [grin!]
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 16:22

BF:

Thanks Judi. I realise that this can become political, but the decision-makers need to know there are other opinions than the ones expressed by mainstream medical advisers. Frankly, I can't think of anything more likely to encourage large-scale weight gains than recommending a larger intake of carbohydrates.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Talking absolutely

I agree... it already has been and IS political. I won't stop trying to affect that juggernaut process though, I'm too stubborn...
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 08:56

BF:

Thanks Judi, I find your commitment very supportive of my own endavours. Often it feels like I'm battling alone, and hearing an answering voice like this is so reassuring. I get quite a lot of knocks, as I'm sure you do, but your words have reinforced my own resolve. Thanks.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 20:29

BF:

Wa'il,

(Or anyone else who has both books) Could you please tell me the original date of publication of the first Atkins book "Dr Atkins' Diet Revolution"? Also, are the Publishers the same as now? I need this info for my update on his diet. Thanks.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 21:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

The top line in the Publishing history shows:

"David McKay edition published Septemper 1972"

I think this is the first publication.

Wa'il
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 05:32

BF:

Thanks.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 04:03

Plan: no ADDED carbs.....NONE?
Stats: 96/74/60 Female 151cm
BF:too much!!
Progress: 61%

This idea is fantastic!!!!!!
Do we have any results yet? As a newby..I cant wait for every skeric (is that how you spell the tiniest amount) of info about all the plans. People keep telling me "...never heard of a diet that you couldn't eat fruit". As a big fruit eater(and I mean big3-4 pieces every day) in the past, I miss it....but I still feel full all the time. After a breakfast of bacon, egg and mushrooms, I am not interested in eating again until late at night ...but I do!!!! After 20 years of avoiding any fat/oil I cant wait to lose this weight to show them all!!!!!!!!! I need facts and figures to be able to argue with all the ^%$^&%$*% experts around me.
ELiz
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 07:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Eliz, on the right of every page there's a column called "Quick Links" The comparison plans are there under "Which Low-Carb plan is right for me?"

Nat
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 16:41

Plan: no ADDED carbs.....NONE?
Stats: 96/74/60 Female 151cm
BF:too much!!
Progress: 61%

Thanks, I'm on my way there now!!!
Eliz