Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 13:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I can't do a very detailed write up of this. I've read the book, but not studied it. But since it addresses people who have trouble losing, I thought some information might be better than none.

1. Plan's name: Common name of the diet:
Thin for Good (Fred Pescatore, M.D.)
Subtitle: The One Low-Carb Diet That Will Finally Work For You

2. Date: Original publication date: 2000 (John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0-471-36267-0

3.Basic Philosophy/Strategy:

I'll give you the back o' the book blurb -- what a marketer
-- "A revolutionary personalized program for lifelong thinness that integrates a powerful mind-body program with the latest low-carb dieting principles, meal plans, and recipes."

4. By the numbers: Percentages, phases

He divides people by age, gender and condition. It matters not only how young you are, but whether this is your first diet ("Beginners"). For women, are you pre or postmenopausal? There are different dietary guidelines for each age group. The first four weeks are a strict Atkins induction (trim fats, no chicken skin -- because of toxins, not fat -- cheese and cream are limited.) You stay on this until you hit goal. No messin' around! The you add some foods back in each week for eight weeks, stopping along the way if you start gaining, but there are specific things to add in. (First week, more veg and cheese.) These are incredibly specific -- exactly how many ounces of Category 1(fatty) or 2 and 3 (less fatty) meats can be eaten per week, for example, which salad vegetables are OK.

5. Method: Details of the method, what to eat, what to avoid
See number 4. Very specific guidelines, too many to list here, as each differs slightly
6. Typical menu: (warning, a lot of his recipes have cutesy names, but the book itself isn't cutesy. I was alarmed at the prospect of eating "Cyndi," "Luciano," or even "Chicken Lickin' for lunch. Other menus are of the Vogue magazine variety -- wonderful if your personal chef is in a good mood.
Sample day, when you can actually tell what you're eating by the names:
Breakfast: Spinach Pie
Lunch: Saltimbocca
Dinner: Spinach and Ricotta Dumplings, Korean Short Ribs
Dessert: (I love it that Dessert is a fourth meal) Lemon Cheesecake Square

139 recipes provided

7. Emphasis on: Fat, Sugar, Protein or Exercise
Emphasis on everything. He really does try to do an integrated approach. It seems that he's used "lessons learned" from working with Atkins patients and tried to refine the program and make it work for everybody.

8. Unique Fatures: Particulars that differ from general low-carb diets
The gimmick is that we all go through 11 stages of emotional eating. Each chapter is devoted to a different "level." BUT, to be fair, he addresses the emotional aspects of eating, which few others do. (They are, for the curious, anger, frustration, sadness, fear, understanding, trepidation, envy, boredom, relief,joy, contentment.)

Added 9. About the author. Brief bio and credentials. MUCH younger and cuter (and thinner) than Dr. Atkins. Dr. Pescatore "was Associate Medical Director of the world-renowned Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine for five years before founding the Centers for Integrative and Complementary Medicine based in New York and Dallas. He is a freqauent commentator and medical expert on NBC, ABC, Fox and CBS."

Last edited by alto : Wed, Dec-12-01 at 22:35.
Sponsored Links