Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-->CALP
Stats: 120/116/110
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Maltodextrin in OZ Bacon & LC bars

Hi,
Does anyone know if maltodextrin is a No-no in induction. I have found Bacon in an Aussie Supermarket that has it where all the others have either sugar or nitrate so I am a bit suspicious.
Also, I absolutely adore the Dlee "no Carb" bars & Myoplex "low Carb" (3 active carbs) bars (try the Cookie & Cream..hhmm).. however am a bit scared they will through my ketosis out ?? Has anyone got any further info on these products ??

Lastly, I have to say I have only been a member here for 1 day but have already found the answers to so many questions I was stumped with..THANX EVERYONE!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 18:15

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

I personally dont do well when I eat 'fake' foods like LC choc, LC lollies etc. I stay in ketosis but it stalls any weight loss - I think a lot of people report the same thing. I was limiting myself to one square of Daryl Lea LC choc a day & I didn't loose and ounce . So now I steer clear of that kind of thing.

Maltodextrin is just an artificial sweetener (similar to saccarin I think).

I use Don bacon - they sell a 1kg packet that is really low in carbs, doesnt have a rind, and is really yummy . The only downside is that it isnt cheap - I think $10-$11 for the packet.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 18:45

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

I just buy the stuff over the counter at Coles or Woolworths (depends on who has it on sale that week) - I've checked out both lots of nutritional information (they have this behind the counter as well so ask them if you can have a look) and they are fine, we eat about 1kg a week easily in meals and by itself as snacks...

I also avoid the LC frankenfoods..... if I want chocolate I eat half a square of Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate - its worth about 4gs carbs per square so its a 2g treat and its soo thick, creamy and rich thats about all I can handle... I've had a block of 10 squares in the fridge now for 11 weeks, and we've only eaten 4 squares but I avoid the chocolate mixed with sugar alcohols, in my view why bother? I don't really like the taste and I'd prefer Lindt...

Fiona
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-->CALP
Stats: 120/116/110
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks so much Ladies.. I appreciate ur advice It's so nice to hear from fellow aussies!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 22:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/266/140 Female 68ins
BF:How about cuddly??
Progress: 18%
Question

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][LEFT]OK..... now you guy's have done IT !!! Not an easy task to do BUT you have achieved the almost probably ... Uuummmmm... I mean almost Impossible.
All humour aside I really am confused ....... Atkins says Bacon ----- NO sugar NO nitrates. I was searching the forum to find what brand you used as all I have found have both in them, and I end up finding it makes no difference ???

Please please clear this up for me......and somehow I know I am going to get .....for some people it does make no difference.

For me, this is the 4th time I have tried this WOL, and I sooooo want to succeed.... unbreakable plateaus have stumped me before and now I see Atkins has changed some ground rules as well..........So clarrification is important, maybe only to me... but it is important