Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-21, 09:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Happy to share but what re-started my weight loss was doing both Dr. Naiman's LowEnergy diet and Marty Kendall's Data Driven Fasting together.

Dr. Naiman also prescribes a 16:8 fast, mine has been more like 18:6 based on my BG readings, and with no snacking in between two meals. If you up the protein grams to Ted Naiman or Marty macros..you will NOT be hungry for snacks.

This is exactly what I ate: https://www.lowenergydiet.com/Tips.html

So add egg whites to whole eggs, or just start the day with a huge stir-fry, I always had cooked chicken or fish on hand to use in it. Few creamy or cheesy casseroles...main meal looked like these. Plus no fat yogurt, cottage cheese, Fairlife and protein powders.
That's it!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-21, 14:59

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 218/205.4/158 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks Janet!!
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-21, 04:57

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Very interesting discussion!
  #154   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 07:23

Plan: PEdiet/OptimizedNutrition
Stats: 188/150/140 Male 5.6
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
Very interesting discussion!

Agreed... Excellent thread! I've learned so much from you all in short order.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. I like to lurk LOL
Hopefully I can contribute back.

Watching everything I can find with Dr. Ted Naiman and buying his book.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 07:32

BF:

Picked up a waffle maker and tried the below recipe from lowcarbinspirations.com. I've never liked heated tuna but this recipe is delicious.

KETO TUNA MELT CHAFFLE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
https://lowcarbinspirations.com/keto-tuna-melt-chaffle/

Summary:
1 can Tuna 2.6 oz, drained
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1 egg
pinch salt

Nutrition:
Total Fat 3.5g
Total Carbohydrate 1.2g
Dietary Fiber 0.5g
Protein 20.8g

I used chunk lite tuna and added a pinch of pepper, cumin, and hot sauce for a little extra flavor. Awesome!
  #156   ^
Old Sun, May-02-21, 09:40

Glad we could help. I still do not have a waffle maker, but the Tuna Melt recipe "insides" look great too.

Dr. Naiman has been a hot property in the Vlogcast/Podcast world lately. Put Ted Naiman into YouTube and there are his own videos, and new interviews with the Emmerichs, to a group of very young international bloggers who ask basic questions. Like you I watch whatever he puts on his FB page, but the interview with Marty was perfect since some questions brought both programs together.

Ted Naiman reported on Twitter with a new (still ripped) photo, that he himself eats:
“Age: 49
5’10”
160 lbs
~10% body fat
PRO: ~200 g [40%]
FAT: ~65 g [30%]
CARBS: ~140 g [30%]
KCALS: ~1,950
Maintain this with no hunger but if I try to get leaner by eating less I have definite hunger, as one would expect.”

Someone asked the meals he ate and he posted these: https://www.lowenergydiet.com/Tips.html.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-02-21 at 15:58.
  #157   ^
Old Wed, May-05-21, 06:23

Another terrific interview with Dr. Ted Naiman, this on the Power of Protein...how much, how to increase (slowly!, don't try going from 15% to 40% in one go), etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_TbYpd9n0w

If you are also in Marty Kendall's groups, it is in the April Challenge and the main DDF FB group too. A member commented that the combo is so effective...I agree. I'm still at my lowest weight, but with a little resistance training, and more protein, think there is recomposition in process.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dat...61208847927760/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-05-21 at 06:30.
  #158   ^
Old Fri, May-07-21, 07:56

BF:

Thanks Janet, watched and learned.
I really like how he again reinforces the reasoning behind "satiety per calorie". I think it isn't spoken about enough and yet it is so instrumental to weight loss.
I've been averaging a 50% protein ratio the past few days and doing so easily. As expected, the scale is moving again back towards goal. After watching the video I'll probably back off a bit to around 35 - 40% just to ensure I continue to enjoy what I eat. No need to be extreme about it which is what I inadvertently started doing.
It is fun and very exciting to see the needle move by just making small changes to the ratio of macros.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, May-07-21, 17:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

AVPX1, thanks for the tuna melt link. I'll have to try that some time. I saw someone (Maria Emmeritch, probably?) post a recipe for actual burger patties on the waffle maker. Creative! She comes up with all kinds of neat stuff. The other idea of hers I'm going to try is deli chicken (or turkey) dehydrated into "protein chips." I'm just a little leery at how the house will smell.

Janet, I really liked that interview, too. I think I caught it on Diet Doctor.
  #160   ^
Old Sat, May-08-21, 07:59

BF:

Thanks Kristine... Wow she (Maria Emmeritch) is awesome!
You can download her recipe index Excel spreadsheet which you can then search within for recipes based on your macro requirements (includins P:E Ratio).
URL:
https://mariamindbodyhealth.com/wp-...nal-Info-1.xlsx

Also by looking at the calculations you can see how a P:E Ratio is determined with a mathematical formula:
PE Ratio Calculation:
Protein/(Fat+Carbs-Fiber)

Laymans Terms:
Protein divided by Fat+Carbs-Fiber

This appears to be the same calculation that Dr Naimen's calculator uses.
Calculator Link:
https://burnfatandgetfit.com/pe-ratio-calculator/

It's my understanding that a P:E ratio of 1.0 or higher is considered a relatively high protein density.

Probably easier to use the web based calculator instead of building a spreadsheet but at least this explains how the formula works.
I love the super easy trick of adding a 0 to the the protein % and comparing against total calories to see if it is less or equal. This still seems to be the best/easiest method when creating or searching for a recipe.
  #161   ^
Old Sat, May-08-21, 08:31

BF:

Wish there was a place that concentrated on recipes that were High Protein/Low Fat/Low Carb.
The ones that I've stumbled across have all been from the keto realm but it is hard work entering the ingredients for a recipe in Cronometer to see what the PE ratio is.
Do you folks think it would be a good idea to create a thread for PE recipes?
I don't have lots to contribute but I've come across a few. I'm happy to post them on this thread but not sure if doing so would dilute the thread's primary intent of focusing on the benefits of PE.
Any thoughts
  #162   ^
Old Sat, May-08-21, 09:39

A couple of thoughts…I have already emailed DietDoctor that understanding they are not going to re-write all their high fat recipes, but they could easily add the P:E ratio to the Nutrient information. The macros including fiber are already there. Simply plug those into the PE calculator.

Any recipe that already has P,F, either total or net carbs and fiber, you have everything to simply work out the PE. Most recipes here include that info, all DietDoctor recipes, most LC recipe books, etc. I now have an entire screen page of apps related the nutrition. The P:E calculator is always at my fingertips

Marty Kendall has a PE Diet recipe book. A free sample of it now in the challenge. Some of the Fat Loss recipes (and others ) have pretty high PE ratios. The PSMF Flan is a hit…that is filling!
https://optimisingnutrition.com/opt...ition-recipies/

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ketogains-psmf-flan/
Search PSMF..there is also an omelet.

Marty or Ted's lower fat scrambled eggs (add egg whites to 2 whole eggs) is another hunger killer. That is in the free recipe book on home page.

I noticed now that Ted's recipes in the Book do not include the P:E ratio. His followers on Twitter post simple recipes and usually do include the ratio.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-08-21 at 09:58.
  #163   ^
Old Sat, May-08-21, 10:06

A Live event today with Ted Naiman, Marty discussing Satiety.

Event by Optimising Nutrition and Cala Calabrese
Online: us02web.zoom.us

Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 3:30 PM EDT
Price: Free
Public · Anyone on or off Facebook

Click on that Zoom link and should open to the right meeting, but it appears not to have copied? Meeting ID is 873 6838 1288
  #164   ^
Old Sat, May-08-21, 13:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

^Cool, thanks Janet. I signed up; nothing to do today until it's time to make dinner.

AVPX1, I wouldn't worry too much about the actual ratio. Like calorie counting, I don't believe that it will necessarily literally translate into guaranteed weight loss. Satiety is highly subjective. I would just track what you eat, how you feel in terms of hunger/satiety/etc (maybe start a journal here ), and you'll probably fall into a pattern of your favourite meals that way. That's how it is for me, anyway. I tend to be more concerned about the ratio on the individual ingredients and go from there.

Do feel free to start a recipe thread, but to be honest, I'm not sure it would get much traffic since most of the P:E food I eat (and probably others?) seems like basic meat-and-veg, basic greek-yogurt-and-whey-mush, etc. But definitely ask here or start a thread in the "Kitchen Help" forum if you have any questions about cooking techniques or ingredients. It can be tricky converting recipes to be more P:E friendly.

Thanks for Maria's sheet! I'll look over that sometime tonight.
  #165   ^
Old Sat, May-08-21, 14:40

BF:

Darnit, I missed the Zoom meeting. Was doing yardwork and didn't see the thread replies. Oh well, hopefully they will do it again sometime.
Thanks for the great feedback Janet and Kristine.
I'll try and create the PE recipe thread as it may be helpful for others.... and me too.