Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 15:36

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
No.

I did many fasts lasting as long as 12 days since my teens. Non-fasting days I ate 1400 cal while running track, playing on the tennis team and working active jobs. I lost no weight from it. For me I develop high reverse T3, my body turns down my metabolism.

My best fat loss occurred while working out with a trainer and doing 4 hrs of a day of intense exercise. (I normally do 3hrs and 1hr of it is yoga). My weight didn't change much but bodyfat went from 28% to 20%. My 2nd most muscular phase was 18hr IF but eating up to 300 carbs a day.

It all depends on what the cause of your increased body fat is and
how your body reacts to nutritional changes and exercise.

Could your low calorie diet and exercise routine actually tone down your metabolism. This is the problem seen with the Biggest Loser.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 15:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
Could your low calorie diet and exercise routine actually tone down your metabolism. This is the problem seen with the Biggest Loser.

Dr Fung says not if using intermittent fasting to lower the total calories. His explanation of metabolism changes with continuous calorie reduction vs. fasting, data from 2016 based on Biggest Loser Study.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/fix-brok...-exact-opposite

Or this good explanation of the difference: https://idmprogram.com/difference-c...ing-fasting-27/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-07-18 at 03:51.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
Could your low-calorie diet and exercise routine actually tone down your metabolism. This is the problem seen with the Biggest Loser.

Research has shown rt3 increases with less than 50 carb intake. You can combat that by changing things up. Bodybuilders eat LC to cut fat then do a carb up day followed with hard workouts to use the advantage to build muscle then.

I don't know about others. I am on the waiting list for Dr. Fung's diabetes book. He has great results. From podcasts, he said his patients had issues with LC, not speaking English, elderly so he turned to fasting. I know far less than others on this site regarding his generalized beliefs.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 18:50

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

Have been doing one meal per day for years now.

Recently, try doing one meal per couple days(per 1, per 2, per 3...) from time to time.

One thing I do notice are certain inflammation of certain body areas go away or go lighter. That is what I did not expected. YMMV.

Other than that, it lose weight fast if you gain weight from trips/vacations or from Souplantation/buffet that your love one loves to go.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-18, 06:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

As so often happens, an article on whatever topic pops into my LC RSS feed when needed.
New article on a recent IF study posted to DietDoctor this morning:

Is intermittent fasting better than chronic calorie restriction? Only if you actually do it!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/is-inter...actually-do-it?
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-18, 07:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

From the article on diet doctor:

Quote:
In his keynote talk at Low Carb Houston, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt recently stated that showering only gets you clean if you actually do it. He used this obvious example to highlight the trouble with studies that proclaim one method is no better than another, but then document that only a fraction of the subjects was compliant with the intervention. Thus the conclusion could be that the intervention was difficult for the subjects to maintain, but the conclusion should not be that the intervention did not work.

And here's Dr Eenfeldt's talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ylfxx5ve-8
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 00:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
The standard nutritional advice given – to Eat Less and Move More is so bad, that doing anything, even the exact opposite beats it.
LOL now that's a keeper
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 06:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Fung says not if using intermittent fasting to lower the total calories. His explanation of metabolism changes with continuous calorie reduction vs. fasting, data from 2016 based on Biggest Loser Study.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/fix-brok...-exact-opposite

Or this good explanation of the difference: https://idmprogram.com/difference-c...ing-fasting-27/

She said she did 1400 calories on non-fasting days.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 09:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yes--lots of CICO-sensitive fasting advocates suggest that the calorie deficit should come during the fasting, and the actual feeding period should be maintenance or even slightly above maintenance, though obviously not enough to reverse the weight loss from fasting.

I take the slightly non-Fungian view that "starvation mode" has more to do with the weight (type and amount) lost than with whether the weight was lost during fasting or calorie restriction. The Minnesota Starvation experiment is often brought up, there's a reason it wasn't called the semi-starvation experiment, the guys were quite gaunt and bony by the end of the experiment. Semi-starvation doesn't just speak to the diet itself, but also to the state of the consumer. Not only would their metabolic rates have likely been just as low if they'd been given no food at all until they'd reached that state, that had better be true, it's an important survival mechanism.

Yes, I know, studies of one or two day fasts show metabolic rate going up, not down. By definition, nobody's lost a significant amount of body fat in that amount of time.

The effect of current diet on metabolic rate at a given level of body fat is another story, the recent NUSI study showing a higher rate of metabolism on a keto versus low fat or Mediterranean diet speaks to that.

I actually think Fung has the right approach, while having some of the wrong explanations.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 12:12
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Yes, I know, studies of one or two day fasts show metabolic rate going up, not down. By definition, nobody's lost a significant amount of body fat in that amount of time.
Might be different at < 10% BF, but who would need to fast then voluntarily?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 13:23

BF:

I'm not saying they would--I'm saying that comparing lean young men who ate calorie restricted diet that had them emaciated to people fasting for one or two days isn't a fair comparison, and doesn't show that weight loss from fasting--once the weight has actually been lost to some significant extent--will conserve metabolic rate versus losing the same weight on a calorie restricted diet. Only a head to head comparison of the actual approaches could really show that.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-18, 12:36

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Might be different at < 10% BF, but who would need to fast then voluntarily?

I'm happy with my weight, I do it for the benefits of autophagy.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-18, 12:47

BF:

I don't think I'm at less than ten percent bodyfat--but I'm schizoaffective bipolar with social anxiety. Sometimes I'll fast for a day when I need to be more optimistic/less paranoid for a day, like for a job interview or a driving test or something like that.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-18, 13:23

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
I'm happy with my weight, I do it for the benefits of autophagy.

Ditto. And for production of HGH.