Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 17:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up Good for you Minnie

It's nice to have you here, not just as a 'pauser, but as an LC partner in crime.

To change your stats, look at the top right of the screen under the orange bar, and click on the profile icon. You'll be able to change your stats in there, and change options for how the board behaves for you.

I guess I'm counting myself lucky that my hot flashes are few and far between. I've often wondered why older married couples opt for separate twin beds, or separate bedrooms. It's not always because the fire is gone out of their relationship! Quite the opposite really.

Does anyone know why it is that we don't see a rogue facial hair until it is at least half an inch long? I have yet to pull a short one, and I check every day. Why is it we don't see them until they are way past the point of being an acceptable length?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 17:38

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%
Thumbs up Congratulations

Way too go MinniePauz
I am dedicating this glass of wine to you in celebration of a
fantastic weight loss
I haven't done the news letter thing yet.....have to remember
to do that
Told someone about the cruise, hope she checks it out.
I want to keep up to date on next years, especially if there will
be DH's along
Bought new sheets tonight, My goal is to have enough for two
weeks without washing....don't think I'll be using any of the flannel ones this year..LOL
One pair is the cotton T-Shirt kind, wonder if that will help
I have Orange Roughy and Shrimp scampi cooking so I need to
get downstairs.
Again, Great Going and pop in more often
greentea
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 17:43

AngelaR
MAGNIFIED mirror O : Our eyes have hit mid-life too
greentea
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default I should know by now!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a long response all written out and then lost it when the cartoon I was going to post was too big.......... too tired now to write it all out tonight, so will respond tomorrow. Boohooooooo!

Maybe being up since 3 am.......nah, I've gotten used to that!
Night Ladies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plucking.jpg (31.1 KB, 28 views)
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 04:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Minnie....the cartoon is a hoot!!!!!!!!!!
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 08:33
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Minnie

Congrats on your weight loss. I have decided to not weigh any more, doing BFL I am actually showing muscles (never new I had them) and at last weigh in had gained 5 lbs. but look even leaner then before.

I am happy with myself for the first time in a lot of years. Even when I was a size 8 I wasn't happy cuz I was all flab no muscle and I looked like I was sick.

I view menopause as a transitional period that won't last long. (hopefully)

Here's a funny for you ladies, this morning my husband complained that he didn't sleep well because he was
having HOT FLASHES . He says I don't ever want those again.
Laughingly I said join the club baby!!

Right now he is sitting in front of the open door cuz it's about 55 degrees outside and he needs some cool air. Ain't life grand!!
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 09:16

Smile

Morning everyone
Thanks for the a.m. laugh Minnie
HN, your Dh is really taking the transference of sympathy
pain (flash) to the max. Now THAT'S understanding!
Nothing like sweating together to keep a marriage happy
Want to have some fun
clairol.com
go to the "try it on studio" and put your face
on all the different hair colors and styles. I am definitely NOT a blonde
greentea
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 11:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default Since husbands are finally being included

There's a new book on my site that is terrific! The author explains what both men and women go through physically and emotionally, and gives some wonderful advice along the way.

I'm talking with her today about going on the cruise since there will be many couples and I think her presentation would be very much appreciated and enjoyed. You can read my review of her book here: http://www.minniepauz.com/books.html

I'm also getting ready to write an article about menopause and lc, so I would be very interested in your comments. I'm wondering if the WOE helps minimize menopausal symptoms. I know you've all mentioned several of the symptoms, but they don't sound as devistating as some of the emails I get. I didn't have severe symptoms, but as I've said, that was 14 years ago so I can't really remember!

I've got another suggestion for the nightsweats.....it's called a Chillow pillow device.....it just slips in under your pillowcase and helps keep your body temperature lower during the night. I've got one and many of my subscribers have ordered them. I do get a small commission on sales if you mention Minnie Pauz, but that is really secondary as long as the product is helpful. You can see it and read more at: http://www.soothsoft.com They even have them for dogs if you're a pet owner.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 12:19
Registered Member

Stats: 166/152/120
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Wisdom of Menopause

Maybe I missed something along the way in this great thread but I didn't see any mention of Christiane Northrup's book, The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change. I'm about halfway through it right now and it's literally got me high, it's so right-on. She advocates a low carb diet and natural remedies, including the progesterone cream. It's very reader-friendly too. She's been on Oprah quite a few times. Maybe you've seen her. Check it out!

In addition, I'm lucky to have some wonderful friends at work who are all going through the same thing too. So, we're able to share our stories with each other and compare notes. We laugh about it a lot - oh yeah, a LOT!.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 12:49
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dr. Northrup's book is definitely worth reading

but not everyone agrees with her philosophy. (if you read the reviews of her book on Amazon, the opinions can be totally positive like yours or completely the other direction). That's the key to this hormonal thing......take a little from each book, find out what your family has experienced and stay informed on all the newest reports on the subject. There is debate and controversy on nearly every angle or opinion, so like HerbNurse said earlier, it's up to us as women to take control and manage our own health. There are no absolutely right or wrong answers. We're just all so different.

There's another Dr. who has written "The Menopause Diet"....that one is also reviewed on my site. She also is an advocate of the lower carb WOE and makes a lot of sense as to why we females have the problems we do with our weight. She also really gets frustrated at doctors who don't listen to their patients when it comes to peri/meno. Dr. Gillespie lives in CA and several celebrities are using her books to manage their weight and menopause......
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 14:41

Hi all
The weather knocked my cable net off and look at all I missed
I'll be on your site soon minnie and thanks Skinny for the input (stick around) I hope our library has all these books,
looks like I'll be doing a lot of night reading
That pillow thing sounds interesting. Guess I will have to include one for the dog, he's usually sharing my pillow.
Question for all:
I know working around alot of women that it can effect our TOM's, does being around other "pausers" effect us too?
I work at a school and after having the summer off I would
regain my own TOM but shortly after school started all of us would mess each other up again. ( I used to get the most blame )
greentea
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 05:50
Lover of Life

BF:

Hi everyone

Just thought I would drop by and tell you that I actually had a good nights sleep. NO hot flashes last night. Just sorry I didn't have more sleeping hours...I just had to stay up and watch my Bucs beat the Rams, didn't get to bed until 11:30 PM and up bright and early at 5 AM. I LOVE FOOTBALL!!

I think the herbal supplements are actually starting to work again.
I have stocked up and plan to never run out again. Whewwww, lesson learned. I also believe the cooler weather helps a lot, my DH is freezing and I am very comfortable.

Hope all are doing well!!! Love our little group here.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 06:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default HerbNurse....so glad you got some sleep :)

The only thing I can definitely attribute to helping my sleep is taking my calcium/magnesium in the late evening. I found that the magnesium also helped with the aching/restless legs, which would sometimes prevent me from FALLING asleep, more than staying asleep. It gets really tiresome doing all this experimenting, but I really think those of us who are committed to changing our eating habits, etc. are more willing to finding the balance our body needs to get through menopause.

Believe me, I hear from so many women who are trying to gain that balance by experimenting with drugs, then they get really defensive if you suggest that a natural approach may be worth trying. I mostly keep my opinions to myself though and just concentrate on sharing the humor...the BEST medicine for everything that ails ya!

Here's one of my first cartoons regarding one of the alternative choices:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wildyam1.jpg (19.1 KB, 19 views)
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 06:19
Registered Member

BF:
Talking By the way, HerbNurse....

I'm originally from Rolla...... was just through St. Louis on my way to visit my sister and cousin over Memorial Day weekend......

Why the heck doesn't my URL come out linked in my signature?????
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 06:57
Lover of Life

BF:

Minnie

I have been taking my calcium/mag/zinc before bed for years, as recommended by my boss/pharmacist. I have never had any problems with my legs but do know many ladies who do.

I can't say if that helps because I developed sleep problems just recently. DH bought us a new bed and I believe that has helped a great deal. I also know that exercise plays a big roll in my sleep and menopausal symptoms. I can't recommend that enough.

Your wild yam cartoon is too funny!! I have been supplementing with wild yam capsules for years and have used progesterone cream since 1998. My DH always tells me it looks like an apothecary in my cupboard. He is so afraid people are going to think I am doing drugs if they ever see me filling my own capsules!! What a goof!

I think from experience in working in a pharmacy that a lot of ladies are not willing to take so many supplements or use creams.
They want the convenience of just one pill. My customers couldn't believe I took a handful of supplements three times a day.

But hey, it has worked for me and I am not about to change it. To each his own I guess.

I had my URL in my signature at one time and it didn't link to it either. You have to include your URL in the body of your message I guess.

You are from Rolla? I have only been here in St. Louis for a little over 3 years. Came from San Angelo, TX where we have lived for the last 20 years. A California native but I don't like it there anymore, cost of living is too high! I hope to get back to TX next summer, we own a house there and daughters want to finish college in TX.

Take care, I shall try and visit your website!!