Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/147/128 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 79%

My 14 mo. old eats what my LC hubby and I eat. Usually it's eggs (fried in butter) and a fruit for breakfast, a meat (I try to stear clear of the deli meats and instead lean toward 'fresh' meat that I cook - chicken, beef, fish, etc.) and either veggie or fruit for lunch, and always meat and veggies for dinner.

I do include higher carb veggies (corn, carrots, etc), but don't always have them in the house for her. I also choose a variety of fruits for her - berries, melon, grapes, bananas, etc.

Beverages are whole milk and water.

At this point in her life I think it's very important for her to have a good variety of healthy foods. I limit the starches and 'snacks', but I'm fine with a variety of veggies, fruits, and meats.

I did use cereal with her when she was much younger, although after reading some of the threads in this section I think I will forgo that next time and just start her out on veggies.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 13:54

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Since my wife (jschwab) posted on here a couple years ago, we've changed a bit. The kids are almost 100% grain free, and one of them is dairy free (she gets diarrhea), but we don't restrict their carbs much otherwise. They get bananas and potato chips and dried fruit. I'm not always happy about it, but I bet they're still eating extremely low carb compared to most kids - almost no fruit juice and pretty much never any soft drinks or processed foods. Grandmom likes to indulge them occasionally, but nowadays a bag of potato chips is the biggest treat they get.

One thing that's astounded me is how they don't need to eat frequently. Frequent small meals was such a big mantra for me as an adult, and I never would have questioned it for kids. But I do IF now and my perspective's changed a little.

I'm home with the kids on Mondays and this Monday I cooked them bacon and eggs for breakfast, which they love. I had it ready at about 10:30 AM and I went to go tell them. The two-year-old came down and ate, but the 6-year-old and the 3-year-old weren't interested. In fact, they ate NOTHING AT ALL, by choice, until 2:30 in the afternoon. Now, sometimes I can't get them to eat if they're watching a video or really absorbed in what they're doing, but they weren't doing that. They just didn't need to eat. I was amazed.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 18:20
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Wow - resurrecting an old thread....and I posted on it too almost two years ago!

What's changed with our son, now 4 1/2, in two years?

Not much.....but some things have changed a bit...

He doesn't really like starchy foods at all - even if given an opportunity to eat them....absolutely hates potatoes, even french fries (he'll eat one or two and be like blech! and won't eat any more), doesn't like rice and rarely will eat noodles/pasta - if he does eat some pasta, it's either homemade (not blue or yellow box) mac & cheese or a few bites of whatever - he just doesn't like starchy foods enough to want to eat them! In that respect, the kid is heaven-sent for a controlled-carb mom & dad!

He still drinks whole milk....beverage of choice after milk is iced tea with lemon (no sugar or sweetener) or juice (which is still heavily diluted with water and if he gets full-octane juice, he doesn't like it, it's too sweet)......occasionally he'll ask for a lemonade when we eat out and absolutely hates soda - regular or diet - doesn't like the bubbles!

He does go through stages for meats....these days lamb is his favorite, then chicken or turkey....still likes fish, but we can't call it "fish" for some reason, but if we ask him if he wants "tuna" or "salmon" he's totally cool with that.....he's tried alligator and liked it, fallow deer and liked it, and still likes anything pork, especially ham.

Put any vegetable in front of him, he'll eagerly eat it....same with fruits.....beans he'll also eat, but has times when he absolutely won't eat beans of any kind. Loves some nuts - cashews especially, but won't eat peanuts or peanut butter (don't know why).

In some ways he's definitely a typical kid - offer him candy and he'll definitely say yes, especially if - get this - it's dark chocolate or peppermint patties....regular old cholcolate bar type candy, not so much....maybe a bite or two; super sugary stuff like candy corn....not a chance......the other thing he likes and we're ok with him having occasionally is ice cream - he doesn't have it all that often, so when we're out and he wants some for dessert, he can have it.

So far he's continued on his growth trajectory upward without going outward.....92nd percentile for height and 35th for weight....and he eats, eats, eats. I rarely run a menu for him these days - I pretty much know what nutrients are in what foods and every time I've run them in the past, he's hitting his requirements for micronutrients.

I still supplement him with cod liver oil in the winter and fish oil in the summer for omeag-3 (and vitamin D with the cod liver oil) by weight.....and he wanted gummy vitamins, so when we remember those, he gets one --- that's probably twice a week or so?

Example of his eating today:

Breakfast.....vanilla whole milk yogurt with blueberries, two water crackers that he didn't eat but asked for, 3 slices ham and "flat cheese" (LOL - that's a slice of cheddar)

Lunch....sliced cucumbers with ranch dressing for dip, chunk light tuna in oil drained with mayo, celery, onion and tomatoes - just in a bowl, eaten with a spoon, about an ounce of cashews, and a cut up apple, glass of milk

Snack....grapes and a piece of turkey

Dinner tonight is planned to be a salad (which he'll eat the tomatoes and cucumbers from and take a few bites of lettuce from), stir-fry with beef, chicken, broccoli, onions, red peppers, water chestnuts, celery and a japanese stir-fry sauce. If he asks for dessert (rare) he can have some grapes, a mini ice cream sandwich or chocoate mousse (a lc whipped cream thing I made now and then that we have some left in the refridgerator)