Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 09:54

Plan: Atkins 40
Stats: 240/209/210 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:27%
Progress: 103%

I started tracking and portion control a couple of months ago. At the outset it sounded punitive, and I promised myself it would just be temporary. Funny thing is I now look forward to using the tracker every day. I eyeball and count my portions (five olives, 10 pecan halves, six Brussels sprouts, etc.), which is becoming second nature. What surprises and delights me is that I find it at least as satisfying to eat a normal portion of something on a plate as I used to eating mountains mindlessly right out of a box, can, container, pot. It gives me pleasure tracking a meal and seeing all the macros balance out nicely. Weighing myself daily and tracking my food and water intake and keeping the macros within a good range for me is becoming its own reward. Doesn't feel like punishment at all. Since doing this, I've lost back five pounds I'd regained plus two more. The biggest challenge in maintaining is staying honest with myself and remembering that what I did before didn't work and what I'm doing now does work so I need to keep doing it. No way around it.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Dec-03-18 at 10:01.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-18, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/135/130 Female 63
BF:33.2/30.4%/24%
Progress: 80%

Hi barb712. What a great success story. The counting out items like olives, Brussel sprouts (Iíd definitely count only 1 😊 ) etc is a great way to keep track. I do that too and it is second nature when serving up dinner. When I do go out say to Mexican dinner and eat the tortilla chips - I break the chips into small pieces and then o get 5 for the price of one. Oh how I love to save carbs and $$ 😂 I was inspired by your post. Keep on keeping on. ✌🏼
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 11:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is such a great thread. Iím not at maintence yet, but with 10 slooooow pounds to go I feel pre-maintence skills or ďtoolsĒ are important.

I went back to tracking in August and I agree with Barbís thoughts ó seeing the macros balance out, etc. was satisfying. After 4 months, last week I decided to stop tracking and it has been really interesting to see my reaction. I had to struggle with feelings of being ďoff my dietĒ (**turns in shock to look at self in shock**) what diet!!??? Iím not on a diet!! This is a total life change, two years in...

Very weird, there were a few days of thinking maybe Iíd have a bite of this or that and having to reign myself in...because Iíd stopped tracking! Losing the support of the structure of tracking made a (temporary) change in my thinking. Iíve bounced back now but wow, a learning experience. I can see how if I were at goal it could cause some slippage.

Like if I didnít track the food maybe it didnít really happen?!?

Iím still weighing daily and recording that. I think if I stop that Iíd have a similar reaction. These two habits seem to support staying on track even when not losing (I generally stall/maintain for about 6 weeks every 5 pounds).

I think for me the combination of recording during maintenance will be : daily weighing, allowing for a 3 pound fluctuation. And if a weight gain of 5, go back to tracking to be sure macros are in line.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-18, 23:58

Plan: Atkins 40
Stats: 240/209/210 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:27%
Progress: 103%

That sounds like a good plan, Blue Ruby.

That's funny and true what you said about how easy it is to fool yourself into thinking if you don't track it, it doesn't count. Like if you eat standing up, it doesn't count.

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Dec-09-18 at 00:09.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-18, 16:31

Plan: VLC Pastoral
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you for the inspiration.

I agree about the need to be honest with oneself.

I slid into carb creep and food creep for a long stretch, and am working my way to a straight-and-narrow I can live with. I don't want to say back to what I did before, because a few years have gone by and life circumstances have changed. It's nice to just be back on track. Am enjoying the discipline, it's that nice calm feeling of being on plan.

Best wishes to all.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-18, 23:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/135/130 Female 63
BF:33.2/30.4%/24%
Progress: 80%

Isnít it so easy to get into Carb Creep. Sometimes I eat low carb food and tell myself, that is 1 serving even though itís more. Cheese was that way for me. Initially I measured out the size h point of the cheese, then Iíd cut off a slice from the block and tell mysel it was one ounce. I also ate cheese like a LC snack not a as all bad for me as I was eating too much of it and convinced myself it was ok. 1 carb 🤔🙄. Iíve quit cheese all together as I canít be trusted.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 07:59

Plan: VLC Pastoral
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ladyhawk, I agree about the cheese. I find it easier to control my weight without it. It causes other troubles for me, too. Even raw, organic, grass-fed cheeses cause troubles for me.

I find nuts and nut butters problematic, as well.

If I eat enough egg yolks, liver, gelatin, and bone broth, the desire for nuts and cheese isn't there.

It is when I don't plan meals, and don't keep the foods I need for my food plan, which makes it tempting to reach for cheese or nuts/nut butters as "fast food".

A popular LC saying has been on my mind lately: "Failure to plan is a plan to fail."

I like having a clear food plan and having supplies on hand. It really does help to keep me on track.

Best wishes to you.