Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-07, 23:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Why does it look like there are little plastic pieces in my CarbQuick???

Hi.

I've read all the wonderful reviews about CarbQuik. I've poured over recipes, drooled over recipes. I finally broke down and bought some. My first attempt at using it was making biscuits. They were aweful. My second attempt was tonight. I breaded my chicken fried steak with it and used it to thicken a gravy. Both turned out EXCELLENT.

However, both times I've used CarbQuik I've noticed these little square bits in it that looked, felt, and tasted like plastic. WHAT IS THIS? I will be happy to attempt at taking a picture of this to share if need be.

Has anyone else noticed this in their CarbQuik bake mix? Did I just get a bad batch, or is this normal? If it is normal, please explain to me what it is and why it's okay.

Thank you for any help, advice or direction. I am attempting to eat as healthy as I can while still maintaining a low carb diet and I just want to be assured that I am not eating something completely unhealthy.

Thanks!
freckles

p.s. I'm not new to lc, just new to CarbQuik.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 05:07
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
However, both times I've used CarbQuik I've noticed these little square bits in it that looked, felt, and tasted like plastic. WHAT IS THIS? I will be happy to attempt at taking a picture of this to share if need be.

Are the pieces perfectly square? If so then this is probably not the answer, but if they’re just oddly shaped. I have an idea what it is and you won’t like it.

I used to keep my flour in a large plastic garbage can, the type with the latch on lid, it was dark green. One day I found little dark green bits in the flour and then I noticed that one side of the lid had been knawed away. It was mice (I live in the country and we get a few mice in the fall) they had found their way into it, they also find their way into bird seed that we store in plastic containers on the porch and in the garage. It could be that some mice at the factory got into the batch you received.

A picture might help.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 08:34

BF:

The bits aren't perfectly square. I just showed them to my son and he said they look and feel like wax. He wouldn't taste it, though.

I'm attempting to insert a picture using the little icon above.

[IMG][/IMG]

To give you an idea of the size, the orange bowl this is in is a normal size cereal bowl.

Thanks for any help!
freckles
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 08:41
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

hmmmm they look a little bit big to be what I had thought it was.

Could they be bits of the mix that had been exposed to moisture and then dried really hard?

I really have no idea. Maybe someone else will have seen this.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 09:13

BF:

Potatoefree responded to the image in my gallery. She said that it's the fat that has been cut into the bake mix, like when you cut in butter to make a pie crust. Seems logical to me. I just wanted to be sure that's how it was supposed to be. I'm satisfied that it is and glad - the chicken fried steak and gravy I made with it last night were awesome!

Thanks!
freckles
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 09:26
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I just went to check my carbquick mix and it looks the same as yours. I was able to squish up the little bits with my fingers. I haven't used mine in months, but I'm sure it's just fine.

Kay
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 09:34
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

freckles, that is the solidified pieces of palm oil that is an ingredient of the flour. Your carbquik is fine and has always looked that way.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-07, 05:08

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Yep, mine always looked the same. I haven't used it in a while, but that's the way it always looked fresh from the bag when I'd ordered it. Little flecks of yummy fat...maybe I need to bake something this week!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-19, 16:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 142/125/115 Female 5.0
BF:
Progress:

I bought a box from Amazon last month. I noticed irregular shapes of what looked like plastic pieces, but as I took some pieces and rubbed them with my fingertips they appeared to have broken down very easily. They felt like fat particles. Perhaps it’s the packaging and the exposure to cold in the warehouse. At least I’m hoping that’s what it is. I’ve used it for baking since and it makes a great flour replacement. I made pumpkin spice muffins with nuts that were delicious.