Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/222/220 Male 6' 5"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default low carb tortilla chips at Costco

Just back from the Costco in Richmond. they have low carb Gensoy tortilla chips, 2 bags, regular and cheese. The two pack is $7.39, also giving out samples today. 8G of Carbs for 15 chips.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 17:42

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

you didn't happen to see if they had any of the Talking Rain beverages?? They seem to be pretty hit and miss!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 18:05
Registered Member

BF:

No Sorry no Talking Rain. I have yet to see that at a Costco. I think it is an Urban Myth (haha). But I look every time I am there.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 18:21

Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

blueowl, you didn't tell us did you try a sample? Are they any good? If they are I hope that the Costco here has them.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 220/165/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 92%

Burnaby Costco used to sell the Talking Rain but haven't in awhile. DH has been drinking Cascadia, made with splenda, mixed with a little soda water. We get it in Pt Roberts, U.S. They have lemonade, grapefruit and a mixed berry. Check out Market Place in the juice section.
Add a shot of vodka, splash of soda water and a lemon slice-- makes for a nice happy hour on the boat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:12

BF:

I have only been lucky enough to pickup once at Costco in BBY. Have yet to see it anywhere else. I stopped on way home from Portland to the Burlington one....think I may need to make a return trip. The flavoured water is fantastic!

I may make the shorter trip to Pt. Roberts instead and give the Cascadia a go!! I like what you're talking about....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:14
Registered Member

BF:

Yes I did try a sample. They were good. They are soy based. So not like regular tortilla chips, but still good. Not sure if it is the same brand that GNC and other low carbs stores are selling (pacakage is different), but they taste just likethose ones. Although GNC charges $5.99 Gold price for the ones they carry.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:19
Registered Member

BF:

I think DH must have bought out the store the last time he was done there, but they should have more in.
It is only 1 carb per 8oz. Show your receipt to the border guys, they have always waved us through.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 21:40
Registered Member

BF:

We like the Red Square crackers- they make good chips- heat them up with a little grated cheese and then dip into the salsa. They now have the crackers and bread at the New West Quay. Try the raw bread dough, 5 carbs per slice, take half of the dough, flatten it out onto a baking sheet, sprinkle kosher salt and a little olive oil, bake till done. Foccaicha(spelling?) Raw dough freezes well.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 01:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 174/159/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

What Red Square crackers?

Are they from the Red Square bakery in Burnaby that makes the great flax cookies with Splenda, low carb bread (1 carb/slice for dark rye kind of bread, 3 carb/slice for whole wheat) and great low carb pizza dough?

I've been into the bakery and met the wonderful, funny, friendly baker but didn't see crackers. What are they like?

AnnieMarin
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 01:48

BF:

Okay so my to do list has a few more things on it:

1. Get to Richmond and check out tortillas
2. Get to Washington State to get Talking Rain
3. Get to Red Square Bakery....Red Square bakery?? but need to find it first!! where the heck in BBY is that?

BTW - next week I'll be having dinner with my friend who works at Locarb store in N. Van (~ Save-On) She always give me the scoop on new products and what is REALLY GOOD!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 01:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 174/159/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Red Square Bakery is off Marine Way in South Burnaby about one block east of Boundary Road. The address is 8626A Joffre Ave. Phone is 604-451-0606. They have a web page at http://rsquare.com/about.htm It is in a little industrial building just north of Marine Way. (or is it Marine Drive/SE Marine Drive right there in that section? - I don't know that part of Burnaby well)

And no, I have no commercial or other link with this business but I love his Flax Machine cookies and the other stuff is great too. He lost a lot of weight (story on his web page) eating in a way that isn't totally low carb but picks up some of the low carb woe. Apparently, (I read it in the Vancouver Sun) lots of local pro sports teams eat his cookies as training/energy bars. The cookies are available in several flavours at most Lower Mainland Save On Foods stores.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:33
Registered Member

BF:

There is a meat market in the New West Quay that carries a good selection of the Red Square Bakery items. The Quay is a bit more convenient for me. The crackers are mainly flax - can't remember exact carb count-
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 11:12

BF:

well the things you just don't know....looks like I need to rediscover a few places! Thanks for the info!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/145/125 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress:
Default lc at costco

Went into Costco as well.

Say the tortila chips though they looked a little scary to say the least.

Aslo saw the nes porky chips from Trophy foods. I didn't want to get a box didn't want to spend that much money especially if they were crap.

Bought the porkeys elsewhere the BBQ and it was not bad at all.

No slimu taste in your mouth like the frit-o-lay one.

Jody