Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 06:46

Plan: South Beach Stillman QWL
Stats: 226/214.6/140 Female 5ft10 3/4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Down another pound this morning. I can see a difference in my jeans, they are definitely looser than they were. Yesterday was a challenge - I wasn’t hungry but I really struggled mentally to stay on plan. I had thoughts of changing diets but quickly realised that this is what I always do. I tend to jump from plan to plan as soon as things get a little difficult. I’m definitely a yo yo dieter. Anyway, I stuck with it and I’m feeling great this morning. Tomorrow morning (day 8) will mark the end of the first week but my numbers are already impressive.

I fancy some fresh tuna steaks today. I will season with lime, garlic, ginger and chives. I’ll also add some soya sauce. I use Kikkoman soya sauce, the one with the red lid is low carb. I’d normally cook this with sesame oil but I guess I’ll have to leave that out... I wonder if I could get away with using just a teaspoon? That way I can at least have a little nut flavour which works well with fresh tuna. I doubt a teaspoon will have many calories.

Last edited by Nemaste : Sun, Jan-05-20 at 07:00.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 08:30

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

Great job sticking to your plan Nemaste!

I’ve kind of been waiting for my husband to return to work - he has been on vacation for two weeks, which kind of messes with my dieting resolve. But he says he wants to fast today! That frees me up to start more seriously today. Planning eggs with farmer’s cheese then turkey breast in chicken broth. My meals sound so boring compared to yours! But “boring” food works for me.

I have to force myself to drink the water. I do float a slice of lemon in it. I’m counting that as plain water!

Not weighing or measuring yet. Too afraid of what I’ll find! My jeans were tight yesterday. I’m hoping they will feel more normal in a week.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 13:52

BF:

I was down .8 yesterday and yet another pound today taking my total loss to 10.4! I’m absolutely thrilled! Lunch was roasted chicken without the skin! I ate mostly breast but did have some of the thigh meat. I had turkey roll ups for breakfast with a slice of low fat cheese and mustard. My appetite has really decreased today so I’m not sure if I’ll be having any dinner. I’ll probably just pick on some leftover chicken.

Day 1 - 2.4
Day 2 - 1.6
Day 3 - New Years Day. Drank wine NYE, no weigh
Day 4 -1lb
Day 5 -1.4
Day 6 -1.2
Day 7 -1
Day 8 -.8
Day 9 -1

Last edited by Nemaste : Tue, Jan-07-20 at 14:08.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-20, 14:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSB
Great job sticking to your plan Nemaste!

I’ve kind of been waiting for my husband to return to work - he has been on vacation for two weeks, which kind of messes with my dieting resolve. But he says he wants to fast today! That frees me up to start more seriously today. Planning eggs with farmer’s cheese then turkey breast in chicken broth. My meals sound so boring compared to yours! But “boring” food works for me.

I have to force myself to drink the water. I do float a slice of lemon in it. I’m counting that as plain water!

Not weighing or measuring yet. Too afraid of what I’ll find! My jeans were tight yesterday. I’m hoping they will feel more normal in a week.

Sorry I didn’t check in yesterday, I had planned to post in the evening but I fell asleep a few hours before I was suppose to go to bed and then I was too tired. I think it’s the lack of carbs. I suffer from fatigue, I have fibromyalgia. I guess low carb and low fat isn’t the brightest idea for someone like me but it works so I’m sticking with it for now. How are you doing today? I’m sure your jeans will feel normal in no time at all. My daughter is taking me to Venice for the opening ceremony of the Mardi Gras in early February, I want to drop a further 18 to 20lbs by then, I really hope I can do it. It’s a big ask but it seems the impossible is possible with Stills. Hope your having a good day.

Day 1 - 2.4
Day 2 - 1.6
Day 3 - New Years Day. Drank wine NYE, no weigh
Day 4 -1lb
Day 5 -1.4
Day 6 -1.2
Day 7 -1
Day 8 -.8
Day 9 -1

Last edited by Nemaste : Tue, Jan-07-20 at 14:39.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 06:36

Wow Nemaste! You are really doing great!

Stills seems to work so well for you. I hope it doesn’t add to health issues. I do get headaches on Stills, but I’m OK if I take electrolytes. I can't recall if Stills recommended electrolytes or if I got that from more recent all-/lean-protein diets.

Venice for Mardi Gras sounds wonderful. What a nice daughter!

I am still struggling to shift gears from holiday eating. Yesterday was zero carb until the very end. I ended up under 20g carbs - better than I have been, but not Stills. I am planning to try all meat with a bit more fat today. I’ll drop the fat over the next few days as my carb cravings subside.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 06:18

I finally managed a zero carb day yesterday. Slightly fattier meat than Stillman’s, but I feel good about the achievement. I’ll stay with fattier meats until I get deeply into ketosis, perhaps another day or two.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 00:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSB
I finally managed a zero carb day yesterday. Slightly fattier meat than Stillman’s, but I feel good about the achievement. I’ll stay with fattier meats until I get deeply into ketosis, perhaps another day or two.

Yes, definitely hang on to some fat until you feel ready to go full force! It certainly makes life easier to eat higher fat for a while when you are transitioning. I did exactly the same.

I’ve managed to lose another 2.4lbs since I last posted. I need to get back to daily posting (I missed a couple of days)
I’ll update my stats a later on today as it’s not long turned 6 and I’d like to get a little more sleep. I also need to update my numbers and signature.

Keep up the good work - I’m confident we will both get the job done.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 07:51

I’m still not quite Stillman’s compliant, but I’m on my third day of just meat, eggs and farmer’s cheese. Down 1 pound of holiday pudge. Hoping to be able to drop the fat later in the week.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 08:06

Down another pound. Finally registering (breath) ketones. I know I’m mostly shedding water from holiday carbs, but every bit helps. I need to shed 4 more pounds of recent gain to get back to my 2019 low. Another 2 pounds to get back to my 2018 low. Then I can start making real progress. If my hunger is gone today, I'll drop to Stillman’s fat levels tomorrow.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 12:13

Hope you are still doing great Nemaste.

I am still zero carb, but haven't shifted to low fat yet. This is a long weekend in the US, which means 4 days of eating with others. I might have to delay my start of true Stillman’s until next Wed, when I have more alone time. But I’ll stay very low carb until then.

My waist is down about 1/2”. That feels good.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 19:49

Plan: IF
Stats: 276.0/250.5/199.5 Female 5'1
BF:52.1%/47.2%/37.7%
Progress: 33%

What is the longest that someone can safely stay on this diet?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 09:14

Hi Katrina, If you read Stillman’s book, he claims his patients stayed on his plan as long as they needed to lose weight. These were patients he monitored in his clinic, who actually needed to lose weight (in his opinion). He does suggest you get your doctor to assess whether the plan is appropriate for your medical status. I think he also points out that any weight loss plan is a bad idea for people who are already underweight - that you should aim for a healthy weight range.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 09:28

Katrina - One more vague recollection on this topic - IIRC, Stillman suggests you shift to practicing maintenance when you are 10-20 pounds from “ideal weight”*, using a two week on/two week off approach to the final few pounds. I was under the impression he thinks this is useful for learning how to maintain. You can read the book online for free at openlibrary.org.

(*) His idea of “ideal weight” is quite low. IIRC, its somewhere around a BMI of 21.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-20, 07:40

I guess I’m going to postpone Stillman’s until I hit a plateau...after 2 full weeks on nearly zero carb with fat, my waist is down 3/4”. Slow progress, but I’m happy enough for now.

Nemaste - I hope you are well and are continuing your amazing results. I’ll keep reading and cheer you on if you are able to post again.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-20, 05:46

BF:

I haven’t posted in a while... I got quite sick, I suffer from chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and had a major episode. I’ve literally been in bed since my last post only going out for hospital and GP appointments. I’m suppose to be going to Venice in 9 days, not sure what’s going to happen there but I’m feeling somewhat better today. I did a 3 day water fast, which was easy because I just couldn’t be bothered to eat. I’m going to get back on Stillman tomorrow and possibly do some more fasting in the future as I’m reading about the healing benefits and wondering what water fasting might do for my health problems. I see some people are dry fasting... not sure I’m brave enough to try that just yet. I haven’t weighed so no clue what the damage is as apart form the water fast I ate carbs. Sorry I disappeared on you NHSB, I hope you are doing good.