Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Anyone heard of 'sugarfree jello instant pudding mix'?

Hi there,

I've just bought the book 'Eat yourself thin with fabulous desserts' by Nancy Moshier. It's obviously US! therefore has stuff in it I don't recognise.

Alot of the recipes have what she calls 'sugar-free Jell-O instant pudding mix' of various flavours. I presume it's something like Angel Delight? Am I wrong? Can we get hold of anything similar in our supermarkets, I don't want to be paying heaps of p&p from a website. Can anyone help? Also Stevia, has anyone found a source of this, not on the internet?

Many thanks
Ivana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 13:06

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i,ve looked all over for stevia but can,t find it in any shops as yet. thought the pudding mix must be angel delight low sugar variety, but when i checked the carbs, i decided it wasn,t for me. hope someone else knows.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 01:49

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down No can do

Sorry, can't help on either count. We have had several posts about Stevia before, so you might want to check them out using the search facility.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 09:02

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Stevia isn't available over here. It's a very sweet plant extract but the powers that be have decided that it's dangerous. In other words they can't be bothered to run tests. It IS available through US websites but of course, you have to pay shipping.

Sugar free jello pudding is more like a blancmange type thing. Angel delight would be the nearest to it or try mixing some soy protein isolate into sugar free jelly.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 05:54

Stats: 207/178/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I used to live on Sugar-free Jello Pudding when I was on Weight Watchers (years ago...when I used to live in Canada) A friend remembered this and brought me a dozen boxes earlier this year.

I don't remember exactly what the carb count was, but it was definately too high for Atkins, so I gave it all away to my neighbour.

I've not had Angel Delight (again, too much sugar!), but you are meant to mix Jello Pudding with milk - I don't know if it would work very well with cream. It thickens up to be of a creme freche consistancy.

Good luck with your desserts (try the No-Bake Cheesecake recipe in the Sweet Treats recipe section - that is a real keeper!! It's WAY better than Jello pudding!!)

Dawn
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 16:29

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Progress: 29%

I really like the the sugar free dessert mixes that Asda and Tesco have. True, they have too many carbs if made with milk, but they thicken even better with cream.

Butterscoth is particularly nice. Add a tablespoon of the mix to half a cup of whipping cream with a packet of splenda, a dash of cinnamon, and a bit of vanilla extract... and whip the lot. I usually manage to make three or four batches of this out of a single packet so the carbs get spread fairly thin.

You can also use the dessert mix with a bit of cream, cold water, vanilla, a scoop of whey protein powder, a few sweetner tablets (to taste-- they generally have fewer carbs than the powdered sweetner) and dash of cinnamon all whizzed up together to make a shake.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 00:37

Stats: 308/221/199 Female 63 inches
BF:ugh!
Progress: 80%
Thumbs up

OMG!
I'm going to look for this stuff at the weekend!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 02:43

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Carb count?

Hi there Corvidae, you don't happen to have a pack handy to note down the carbs for me do you? I've looked at the Angel Delight sugar free ones and they are still too high, so are Tesco's and Asda's lower?

Many thanks
Ivana