Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

A link to this thread would be a great addition to the the newbies sticky thread.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 13:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

**BUMP**

bumping this as its important!
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-14, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/148/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Really appreciated this thread! Thanks to all who made it so informative and helpful.
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-14, 20:14

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yeah that's a great thread.
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 16:06

Plan: not practicing
Stats: 212/148/125 Female 5ft 2inches
BF:
Progress:

Alright, I may be a complete newb for saying this and I know it's feeding the addiction, but looking for your honest expert here.
But is there some reason that fibre count is so important?
I'm not selling that bread, but there is a lot of talk about low-carb dieters not getting enough fibre. For the most part, products that net carb have bran or corn fibres. Fibre can also come from fruit flesh and pulp (which is usually out) and vegetables (which I'm reading here is more and more taboo).

The sincere question becomes: Where does the fibre come from in your diet?
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 07:11

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

What makes you think you need all that much fiber? most of us are doing quite well without a lot of it.
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 08:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaluv
Alright, I may be a complete newb for saying this and I know it's feeding the addiction, but looking for your honest expert here.
But is there some reason that fibre count is so important?
I'm not selling that bread, but there is a lot of talk about low-carb dieters not getting enough fibre. For the most part, products that net carb have bran or corn fibres. Fibre can also come from fruit flesh and pulp (which is usually out) and vegetables (which I'm reading here is more and more taboo).

While I don't eat bread since I lost my weight, I do still eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies, some flax and other foods that have fiber in them. I get plenty of fiber and it doesn't have to come from ' healthy whole grains'. if that is what you were getting at.
Once in a while I have 1 slice of a bread. Bread is not a staple in my overall diet.

Many, like Bobiam, find that they don't require much fiber anyway. Its a YMMV kind of thing.
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 09:36

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:

Who's talking about LCers not having enough fiber? Is it low carb eaters? I doubt it.

Yes, constipation is sometimes an early side effect of eating LC (I assume that is your concern), but there are many ways to solve it: salt, magnesium, more fat (yes, LC is a high fat diet). And many of us get significant fiber from vegetables. On what plan would veggies be taboo? I bet I eat more veggies in a day than the average SAD eater - and many vegetarians - but I see no need for fruit.
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 11:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Theres a fair bit of research around that suggests that fibre does more harm than good and humans dont really need it!!? I probably dont have much - a bit of veg every now and again is about it. I certainly dont have any wheat

Jo xxx
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 08:45

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the points of view. This is the world we live in. People publish everything online these days, it's very hard to sort through.
I saw some dieters on this forum where they skip vegetables in favor of sucking marrow, eating organ meat and take spoonsful of flax oil with every meal. When I go low-carb, I generally just go low-carb, not no grains ever, just smart whole grains. The alternate fiber thing doesn't make sense to me.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 08:53

BF:
Progress:

OH! I was also kind of getting at the negative fibre count discussion that was generating the defensive argument vs the bread corp. I AM NOT TAKING SIDES! But the point of a low carb diet is to reduce digested carbs right. Again, if you get some resilient carbs or non-digestible carbs, for some people that's not going hurt their diet, and probably will help them with it.
There's lots of studies that suggest humans don't need meat every day. I think in general we mostly just eat too darn much of everything. I'm raised Ukrainian. Our people have been eating the gluten for a long time. Where-as say someone who's ancestry had more corn or rice would be less tolerant to it, by evolution right.
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 11:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No one's gene pool has consumed gluten for more than 1-2000 years.

Furthermore, there is little genetic resemblance between today's wheat and that eaten by your ancestors. Modern wheat: A terrorist's delight. (Not crazy about the title, but you get the idea)
  #118   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 11:16

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
OH! I was also kind of getting at the negative fibre count discussion that was generating the defensive argument vs the bread corp. I AM NOT TAKING SIDES! But the point of a low carb diet is to reduce digested carbs right. Again, if you get some resilient carbs or non-digestible carbs, for some people that's not going hurt their diet, and probably will help them with it.
There's lots of studies that suggest humans don't need meat every day. I think in general we mostly just eat too darn much of everything. I'm raised Ukrainian. Our people have been eating the gluten for a long time. Where-as say someone who's ancestry had more corn or rice would be less tolerant to it, by evolution right.

Ya know, if you can eat "smart whole grains" and not suffer from it, go right ahead. Many of us have learned through trial and error that we do better without. There are many and better ways to get fiber (if one feels one needs it) from vegetables.