Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 00:08

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 58%
Exclamation Rewards that Motivate

Being a parent, teacher, and human being, I can say that rewards only work when the reward "motivates" the person to change behavior. Choosing a reward that one would have received in any case, does not motivate the person to change behaviors. Example: a teenager cares only about driving and money. Therefore, only those things will motivate them. A toddler cares only about immediate gratification items. An adult with significant amounts of money/credit is not as motivated by setting aside a $10 a pound reward. Obviously, all people who are successful at losing weight will be purchasing new clothes because one must be attired to be allowed out in public without indecency charges. That is not a motivator when cake is in the house/office.

You must find motivators that will be stronger than the smell and vision of luscious cake sitting in the house/office! For some people, this is as simple as a photo of themselves at a lower weight or the picture of a new swimsuit. Not for me.

One must choose motivators that one would not, by any stretch, have normally indulged in given one's financial/time constraint situation. If money is really no object or if money is non-existant, one must look for motivators that strike you as "indulgent" and this differs greatly from person to person. These can be time consuming items such as a mini vacation, getting away from the family to a scenic place to read a book or take photos, a zero-guilt weekend with friends, going out to dinner while the family eats in, saying "no" to someone who presses you to do something, major photo email to others of the new you, a new rule in the house or office that reinforces your needs (I get the tv whenever I want to exercise, no one can bring food into my cubical, there will be no artisian bread in the house), etc.

I try to keep my motivators to things that will make my "total package" all the better once I reach my goal so that the reality is closer to my vision: teeth whitening, scar removal, new eye glasses, dermatology fixes, lesson in model walking (different body movements for 100 pound loss), trip to spa (time AND money), surgery consultation on cutting off the loose skin on my abdomen, trainer for a sport I want to try at a lower weight, etc. I stagger these so the motivator fits the weight goal. Obviously, scars can be fixed while I'm still significantly overweight, while the loose skin consultation should be done closer to the final goal. I can realistically make my final goal this summer. Coincidentally, I have to go to N.Y. (from S.F) for a summer wedding and (sigh!) will HAVE to go to Manhattan for my new wardrobe. Even with having money for a new wardrobe, I CAN'T rationalize buying a Donna Karan/Calvin Klein/KaufmanFranco outfit in a size which isn't my goal. What a waste of money!

The point IS - only you know what motivates you. List 2 motivators for every 5 pounds you lose. One motivator is a purchase (an accessory that doesn't depend on your weight) and one motivator assists with attaining your vision of you at your final goal weight.

Cheers to all of us in our quest for the attainable.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 00:10

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

thx for the inspiration. I plan on rewarding myself with some new clothes....Nice to meet you, Gina
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 00:27
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Coach bag for me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 14:15
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

I can't afford to buy many new clothes- so I am setting aside $50 for every 10lb I lose, so when I reach goal I have lots to spend. I do understand that clothes arent always a motivator since you'd have to buy them at any weight

However- DH is going to buy me a really nice pair of leather pants and matching jacket when I hit goal- these are clothes- but not things that I'd EVER buy for myself - too much money in my mind- so thats a good motivator.

Other motivators that are not material include-

-Being able to make my doctor proud of how much weight I've lost when I have my next checkup (I am hoping to not have to go back to her until my yearly November checkup and my tentative goal is to be down to between 160-170 by then).

-having my knees and ankles not kill me when I go on active trips with DH.

-being able to keep up with DH on said trips (he's a hiker and has long legs...he moves FAST!)We went to the UK last year and had to walk up a fairly steep hill in Edinburgh to get to the castle (for those aware, we came up from Princes street around the back)- and I was dying by the time we got to the top.

-Not feeling imprisoned by food (not planning whole days around a meal)- I stil want to enjoy food but I don't want to feel like I am food's bitch, if that makes sense.

-A FULL spa day- currently I am too embarrased to get a full body massage.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 10:39

Plan: Atkins now SB (trying)
Stats: 173/145.5/125 Female 5'2 (Still) lol
BF:
Progress: 57%

This is a GREAT thread.

I'm still thinking....hmmmmmm
I always choose closes because I'm ALWAYS out shopping....hehehe - but I'm trying to think of something for ME that would be special! I'll have to get back to you all on this one!