Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 00:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/134/120 Female 5'5
BF:too much
Progress: 53%
Default the freshman 15

I am sure you have all been through this before. You get to college and begin to eat like crap (ramen noodles, icecream, pizza, bagels etc) and in my case I gained 13 lbs. I have decided to do something about it by low carbing and daily exercise along with plenty of water instead of soda and juice.

Most of my friends either eat way too much or don't eat at all and live off of diet coke and diet pills. I don't really know anyone who low-carbs. I have read quite a few of the low-carb books so I know what to do and my cafeteria is low-carb friendly. I just would like someone who I could e-mail or post to daily and wouldn't get pissed off. I like being held accountable and talking to someone about what I ate and what exercise I did really helps me and the unique challenges low carbing in college brings. I just want to starve myself and get the weight off quickly but I am resisting the urge and trying to go the more healthy route so I don't get unhealthy.

I would also like to know...how can you people eat all of this fattening food and LOSE weight??? I have read the biochemical explanations of this WOL and still it boggles my mind!!! I bought a scale today and am planning on weighing myself once a week to chart my progress. When does the weight being lost cease to be water and begin to be body fat???
I cannot wait to be able to wear all of my pretty clothes again. I refused to go buy a whole bunch of new clothes so I would have to lose the weight
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 20:51

Plan: atkins nutritional
Stats: 140// Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello! I am auntiemmy. I also like to be held accountable, so if you want to write to me and we can buddy up that would be fun. You should start a journal *just a suggestion though*. THey are helpful. yoU can post on there and people and look in whenever...it is kind of neat. Let me know if you wnat to buddy up. I am a college sophomore and new to the LC way of eating. I would love to starve myself and make the fat go away also...it is a hard temptation to resist knowing that i was able to do it before, but I also know what it cost me both physically and emotionally!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/243.5/150 Female 5ft 6in
BF:too much!
Progress: 15%

Heh, isn't it strange how eating fat and protein can help you lose weight? I don't understand it either, but if it's working for al those people then what the heck!

it does upset my mom though, she's a registered nurse and while she sort-of supports my atkins diet, she doesn't like that it's okay for me to eat higher fat foods, etc. on this diet, or WOL. I must admit it seems strange to me, too. I've basically been doing low-fat for my whole life, as that is the only food my mom would buy. Real butter tastes strange to me...!!!

Anyway, welcome to the club and feel free to bug me with your daily reports! I think I could use some scolding/encouragement too!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 14:48

Plan: atkins nutritional
Stats: 140// Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

the whole losing weight or staying healthy with a lot of fat and protein seems so odd to me too! I was low caling and low fatting for so long, it is hard to retrain yourself! Crazy!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 11:34

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 340/324/165 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

you can email me if you want
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 19:15

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

At least your freshman 15 was only 13. My freshman 15 was a freshman 55! But I'm down to my last 8.5 of what I gained since high school graduation, so woo!! This plan DOES work. Just stick with it!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 20:52
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

I had more like a freshmen 20, and I am STILL making up for last years mishap. I usually make my own lunches to take to school now, and the store carries some LC products- yogart and atkins shakes, so I survive the day easily.