Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 02:06
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hmm... I wonder if a 1/2 tablespoon of rolled oats in a bowl muffin with the Davinci cookie dough flavored syrup and a dash of cinnamon would be like an oatmeal cookie?

That's what the Apple Cinnamon Bowl Muffin does for me. It reminds me of those soft apple filled cookies.
You should play with it. Is there an apple syrup?
Sig
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 10:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
A last question, for those of you who've done all this experimenting: Maybe this is a stupid idea... what if you scooped up half the mix, and put an egg (yolk unbroken) there, and then put the rest of the mix on top? Would it cook the egg and you'd cut into it like a molten-lava choc cake except egg? Or does something horrible happen if you put an egg yolk in the microwave?

Ok, I think you might be a little disappointed. First, unbroken egg yolks tend to explode in the microwave. Secondly, it'd just end up looking like scrambled eggs in the middle of your chocolate cake. Oh yum... or not!

The way a molten chocolate cake works, I think, is that the outside gets cooked faster than the inside. So the outside, because it is coated in sugar, becomes a bit like a crust and the inside is slightly undercooked. It might be difficult to reproduce in a bowl muffin cooked in a microwave, but it might be possible if you used Polydextrose instead of sugar, I think it can get kind of crusty. But you'd need the browning action of an oven to do it.

Anyway, I've had chocolate bowl muffins vaguely reminiscent of molten chocolate cake when I put some splenda sweetened chocolate chips (from Minicarb) in the middle of it. And then don't use an egg in it.
  #123   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 10:55
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

[QUOTE=SigneyIs there an apple syrup?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, DaVinci's Dutch Apple syrup is full sugar. The only sugar free apple syrup of theirs that I've seen is green apple.

Nature's Flavors makes a splenda sweetened apple pie syrup, but I've never tried their products.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 13:48
The Optimist

Plan: LC mutt
Stats: 482/416/250 Female 66"
BF:no/clue/atall
Progress: 28%
Default Apricot Tropical Blend

I tried this, this morning, kind of on the fly. It came out a couple more carbs than I intended (but well worth it IMO :-)). I meant to use coconut--that was going to be a primary part of the taste!--but I couldn't find it, darn it!

I only used Caramel davinci because I didn't have a better flavor for this particular combo (which I actually made so I could give some to my kid, who likes the apricot+pina colada scheme). It was really yummy though! And with 25g of protein and under 400 calories, it's a pretty good deal.

(My awesome protein powder is part of that though. Vanilla 100% Whey at usadiamondnutrition.com is the ref. Nobody I know who has tasted this stuff and seen its stats would even dream of going back to another brand, even if the other were half the price.)

Here's the ingredients and nutrition info for those who might want to try their own variants. Gosh this thread has been a great source of ideas. I think tomorrow I will try raspberry cinnamon...

OM

Sorry, I forgot to add the details, so I'm editing this.

I combined all the dry ingredients. Then I nuked the cream cheese for 45 seconds, and then added to that all the wet ingredients. Then I mixed those things together. (Whoops! I used one too many bowls, I see! ;-) I may make a 'dry mix' that I like and put it in the fridge so I can just take a scoop of it in the morning and do whatever for flavors.)

It made a sort of runny pancake batter texture with miniglobs from the 'course' grind flour of the almonds. I nuked for 1 minute. Then I took it out, and added the fruit spreads, and nuked it for another 45 seconds. The spreads were melty-hot so I spread them all over the top. Then I ate it with a fork. The texture was a soft breadlike. If I'd used a rounded plastic bowl, I probably could have slid it out and held it, but it was pretty soft. The course almond flour came through in taste which was wonderful in combo with the apricot. If I'd added another tablespoon of fruit spread it would have been a dessert rather than breakfast. ;-)

I'd told myself if I could get past 21 days on induction, that I would start having something besides meat-eggs-cheese-veggie to eat once a day. So for breakfasts I'm going to be experimenting. Always with protein added tho. I thought I had to wait and get Carbquick, and it turns out I had some in the cupboard!!--never opened. Not exactly new, to understate it. But it worked perfectly well. My Davinci has sat in my fridge unopened for 2 years. Still seemed good to me. ;-)

OM

Last edited by OzarkMama : Tue, May-31-05 at 14:01.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 14:24
The Optimist

Plan: LC mutt
Stats: 482/416/250 Female 66"
BF:no/clue/atall
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, I think you might be a little disappointed. First, unbroken egg yolks tend to explode in the microwave. Secondly, it'd just end up looking like scrambled eggs in the middle of your chocolate cake. Oh yum... or not!

Heh heh! I didn't mean putting egg in chocolate, I meant having a yolky-egg in the middle of something (like sausage/bacon/egg) 'similar to' the way the molten chocolate one works. But since yolks explode that would NOT work well. Ah well. Thanks a ton for the tip!

Although I had a whole egg in the Apricot example I posted above, there was no trace of eggy in the final product. Which is good since that would be kinda gross in combo with pineapple-apricot. :-)

OM
  #126   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%

I could have a muffin again!!! Sort of... thanks for sharing this simple and scrumptious recipe!
  #127   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 10:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/145/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Yum!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superaunt
cre8tivgrl, here is my Pancake Bowl Muffin:

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup mixture of sf vanilla syrup, heavy cream, water, sf maple syrup

mix it all up, nuke for 2 minutes big mug and voila!!!

I added some rice bran (fiber), and cinnamin to the top, out of the micro i added a bit of cream and some butter that melted over it - pretty good!!!

Thanks for these great ideas!!
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 20:08
"Slaying My Demons"

Wasn't someone looking for liquid Splenda? I was in the "Products" are of the forum and was doing some shopping. I looked into one of the stores advertised there and found a liquid Splenda product. Hope this works for you.

Fiberfit

Sig
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 19:17

Plan:
Stats: 180/180/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Where do you but CQ?
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 20:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

By CQ do you mean CarbQuick? If so, I got mine at netrition.com.
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 20:17

Plan:
Stats: 180/180/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Do you know if you can buy it at a retail store?
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 02:52
"Slaying My Demons"

Hi Mary,
If you go to carbalose.com on the left side of the screen you will see "Where can I find it?". Go there and plug in your zip code and it will give you the location of a store in your area.
Hope this helps.
Signey
  #133   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
Unfortunately, DaVinci's Dutch Apple syrup is full sugar. The only sugar free apple syrup of theirs that I've seen is green apple.

Nature's Flavors makes a splenda sweetened apple pie syrup, but I've never tried their products.

Hmmmmmmmm, Sipper Sweets (or Alpine, but no Splenda in that one) Hot Apple Drink mix might work nicely here. Use 'em dry or reconstitute.

Also, herb tea of the Apple Cinnamon variety/flavour could be made, strong, for a flavoring boost, 1 teabag in a half-cup of hot water, for example.

.....then again, if you don't mind the green colour, nothing wrong with the DaVinci Green Apple, just add some cinnamon for the taste of pie...

~~~~~~~~~~~
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 18:49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkMama
... there is not a lot of discussion about the 'blending' of flour-ish sources, as much as there is about the blending of sweetener sources.

Does blending for example, carbquick and almond meal and vanilla whey protein powder and flax meal together provide some disgusting taste? Because it seems to me that a blend of stuff could save on money, allow a nice mix of cal/carb/texture/nutrients/protein, and you could actually make up a mix once a week of blended stuff and just keep it in the fridge in a plastic bowl... with a scoop... scoop it into your bowl, dump in whatever else and be done.

OM

Greetings, OM! I think you'll find that the several dozen variants of 'Bake Mix' and 'Flour' recipes scattered throughout the Kitchen forum and in the original Readers' Recipes section pretty much ARE those kinds of blends. There's soy-based and soy-free and dairy-free and so on and so on. Good place to find these flour-ish "blend" recipes is in any Bread or Baked Goods type section...
  #135   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 18:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy101
Yeah, you're right - The only penalities would be $$$ spent on litigation - and no doubtedly a hefty sum to settle. Illegal splenda - go figure!

SplendaŽ (note the Registered Trademark symbol... ) Corporation has been known to lean on the distributors and suppliers to those they find in violation (i.e., haven't paid THEM licensing fees or got permission to use the product) and refuse to sell the product to certain companies in the past, literally shutting them down. Even imported products, example being those Australian 'jello' packages sweetened with Splenda/sucralose (Cottee was the brand name) that CarbSmart among others was importing some years back. The 'reason' was the coloring agents didn't match the FDA approved coloring agents, so SOMEBODY complained to the FDA and they became illegal to import. Guess who?

So sad. They won't make the tabletop liquid sweetener in North America themselves, but they won't let anyone else make it either... piggees.

Check out the liquid Splenda thread and poll in the Products forum, if it's still there at the top...and you have a few hours

---