Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 10:51

Plan: Atkins/ GF
Stats: 240/230/160 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default PCOS- Living! 21yo

Help me?

OK, so I guess the first step is getting diagnosed with PCOS, and the second step is realizing that your health is in your hands. Got it, ok good. Now I am on to the next step of changing my eating.

About me: I am 21yo, 5ft 8in and weigh about 230. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 months ago. A few hormones were/are very off, and periods are non-existant. I am looking to gain energy, get my period again, and lose weight.

I have been doing atkins induction for a little over a week now and have been doing incredible as far as staying on plan. I eat when I am hungry, stay on target with my carbs, and am getting enough fat and veggies! I have not lost much weight (only a few pounds), but doesnt it take a little bit for your body to get used to this new way of eating??? I am also really trying to be regular.... lots of salad, a couple tbs of flax everyday, good fats, and now SF Metamucil. No such luck! Should I increase my carbs or see how I do on the phase after induction? Not going to the bathroom is NO FUN! haha.

Exercise.... thats another thing. Recommendations? Ive heard a lot about intense cardio for a long time, and also of lower cardio for a long time.

Anyway, any info or encouraging words would be amazing. As it has for most of you, it has been a long health battle and i am ready and trying to get it all under control.

ALSO- i was on metformin (no significant weight loss), but my doctor took me off because I was having some major stomach issues. However, I dont think it was from the meds, but from a severe gluten attack....but thats another issue! Basically I am medless and trying to eat the best I can while staying regular AND losing weight.

THANK YOU!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 03:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/199/190 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Rosebud,
I believe that low carb is definitely the ideal diet for those of us with PCOS. Keeping our carbs low helps to keep our insulin levels steady, which in turn helps to regulate our cycles.

I was diagnosed with PCOS so many years ago that I cannot remember when, and have been taking metformin xr for at least ten years. You are totally right that we need to take charge of our health and you are doing great. Keep up the good work.

I would increase my water and fat intake to avoid constipation but also remember that when eating low carb we eat a lot less bulk and so there won't be as much to digest and eliminate.

It is amazing that at 21 you are taking charge of your health and working towards your goals.

Here's to the journey,
Debi
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 16:38

BF:

Thanks Debi!

Oooooof its hard! Haha...
Ive been sticking too it for the last few days... Working on getting through a solid 2 weeks of induction. I will be on for longer, but that is my mini goal. Actually, my daily mini goals are to simply get through the day. Anyway, it makes a lot of sense that there is less to get rid of. I already drink well over 100 ounces of water a day, so i guess i can drink even more. Fats... i have started eating things other than chicken (i could eat it every meal). Pot roast, hamburgers, more beef. I have a few tbs of olive oil a day with my salads. Mayo is also a favorite.

A typical day is as fallows.

breakfast:
3 eggs w/ cheese (4/5c) - some days i will have 3 eggs and half an avo

lunch:
3c salad (2c)
1cup broccoli (2c)
5oz pot roast
dressing w/ braggs, vin, mayo, olive oil

Dinner:
3 cups salad (2c)
meat
same dressing
1 cup broccoli (2c)
1/2 bell pepper (2c)

an atkins bar is in there sometimes too....

Any suggestions!?!

Thanks for the kind words. Health has been a battle for a while, so its time to step it up. I feel so old in health/ life experience years... haha. But then i remember, I have time to live if i just live how i ought!

-mary
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 06:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/199/190 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Mary,

it sounds like you get plenty of water but maybe add some butter to your veggies to get the fat intake up. I have read that magnesium helps to keep "regular" but since I take glucophage I don't really have that issue. Looks like a good menu...I will post my sample menu also just for grins.

Breakfast coffee with HWC and an avocado with salt

Lunch usually two chicken legs with a salad of lettuce, spinach, olives, red bell pepper and olive oil and lemon juice for dressing

Dinner is usually a meat with either salad or cooked cauliflower or broccoli

I also snack on sunflower seed a couple times of day to keep my sodium intake sufficient.

I sometimes have some blueberries in the evening as a dessert with some heavy whipping cream.

Keep it up, you are doing good things for your body.

Here's to the journey,
Debi
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 22:01

BF:

Debi-

Thanks again!
Yea when i was on Metformin i think that helped with regularity.... i was also eating more veggies/food. Its definitely better today though. I dont feel so heavy in the tummy. Ill check out the magnesium in foods....
Thanks for the menu! Its always great to see what others are eating. Im pretty much sticking to the induction part of atkins....
avocados = yummy!

ill keep treckin!
Thanks
-mary