Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 18:46

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default my chicken stock has 2 carbs, eek!

My chicken stock has 2 carbs, is there one that has none (I'm gluten free by necessity)?

The 2 carbs makes me not want to eat it, especially twice a day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 09:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just to verify, this is 2 grams of carbs per serving? Not sure what kind of stock you're using, but as long as there are no wheat byproducts in the ingredients, this is a very small amount of carbs, assuming you're not consuming 10 cups a day.

Note that healthy, above ground vegetables have a small carb content as well. It's tough to go zero carb unless you really try hard. Enjoy it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 09:53

BF:

Thanks Rob. Yes I meant 2 grams of carbs , I was freaking out because I seem to have to go super low carb to lose and was hoping there was a zero carb option.

The brand is "Better than Bullion". I'll have to check the ingredients. So far I have only had about 4 cups of it in 8 days but I think I might have to up that as I had leg cramps last night when sleeping.

I have dropped another 2 lbs. . I was worried I was going to be stuck again like I was during the summer - 6 weeks on strict Atkins and NO weight loss, that was so disheartening!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 11:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have better luck with the chicken broth in the health food store. The great thing about Better than Bullion is that it is concentrated and you can make as much, or as little, as you want, but that might be contributing to your carb issue, too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 11:18

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I sometimes use a stock cube (Oxo brand) to make a salty drink but you are right - they do have carbs in them - the meat/chicken ones have 2.7/2.6 net carbs per cube and the veggie ones have 3.8 net carbs.

Better to make your own stock from bones if you can and add salt to taste as most commercial stocks have added carby stuff in them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 11:33

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I make my own bone broth and add in herbs, spices, salt, pepper, vinegar. Freeze some of it in small containers so I can just pull out what I need and store some in fridge. I cook up a large batch. I read oxtail makes the best broth but haven't tried that yet. Currently just using up beef bones and just had a rotisserie chicken and going to throw the bones in the crockpot today. Once I cook bone broth for 24 hours I strain it, cool it and take off fats on top, some leave the fat in but I only leave a small portion of the fat. It's so delicious and very little effort. I also use some of my homemade broth and cook up delicious low carb stews where you can let your immagination run wild with flavor, yum!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

1Dog, you have mastered the slow cooker, so you can use it to make your own broth. Buy a package of chicken wings, and put it, and whatever you want in the slow cooker--google "chicken stock recipes". Add water to the top, set it going, and let it cook on high for 6 hours, then turn it down to low, and let it cook overnight.

When you get up, you just strain it. Take a big pot or a big bowl, line a colander with one layer of paper toweling, or, if you have it, cheesecloth. Set it over your container, and pour the contents of the slow cooker into the colander.

Slowly lift it out, letting as much of the precious liquid as possible drain into the container, and throw away the bones, etc.

Now you have very low carb and really yummy broth. Put enough for a couple days in the frig, and the rest freeze for later. If you freeze it in individual servings, all you need to do is pop one at a time in the microwave.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 13:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always save chicken bones after I cook chicken, or buy a rotisserie chicken. Or turkey bones! I'd eat the chicken wings first, then save the leftover bones.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 22:07

BF:

Thanks everyone. I don't have much freezer space as the fridge at this house has a much smaller fridge than my last house and I feed my dog cooked food so we share the freezer I have . I suppose now that I'm adopting this WOE, I should look for a small freezer.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 07:03

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 183/178/165 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Or a smaller dog
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 08:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo9
Or a smaller dog

She's only 10 lbs. but she eats like a horse!!! It's funny, I could exist on what she eats, and she's not fat. I wish I had her metabolism!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 11:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

^^
haha!

our guy is a big old 80 pounder.....before my fiance was gluten free (he's intolerant not celiac), the dog was put on super $$$ GF kibble due to allergies (Vet told him to).

and oh my godddddddddddd................he never stops eating. We desperately want a second dog, but straight up can't afford one right now!

hmmm......here's a thought, can we register for GF kibble?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 11:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
^^
haha!

our guy is a big old 80 pounder.....before my fiance was gluten free (he's intolerant not celiac), the dog was put on super $$$ GF kibble due to allergies (Vet told him to).

and oh my godddddddddddd................he never stops eating. We desperately want a second dog, but straight up can't afford one right now!

hmmm......here's a thought, can we register for GF kibble?

Can you feed canned instead? There's a saying in cat circles, "The cheapest canned is better than the best dry."
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 12:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
So far I have only had about 4 cups of it in 8 days but I think I might have to up that as I had leg cramps last night when sleeping.

I may be weird, but I just lick some salt (Morton's Lite Salt for the extra minerals) and have a sip of water or coffee to wash it down. Works a treat for leg cramps!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 14:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
My chicken stock has 2 carbs, is there one that has none (I'm gluten free by necessity)?

The 2 carbs makes me not want to eat it, especially twice a day!

I picked up a couple of 32oz.boxes of organic chicken broth (store brand) from Fresh Market the other day and it claims to have 0g carbs per 1 cup serving.

The ingredients list other ingredients besides chicken stock such as organic vegetable stock, organic carrot, celery turmeric, organic cane sugar, yeast extract, so I would imagine that the entire box would contain some carbs, just less than 1g per cup but all combined could be 8 oz x 4 servings could equal maybe 3g carbs.

The alternative is to buy the common beef/chicken bouillon cubes which might have less carbs but they do have the MSG or preservatives.