Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 15:18

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Does this menu look Atkins Induction Friendly?

Ok, so today is Day 1 for me of the rest of my life! I HAVE to make this work this time around. So far this is what I have eaten for the day. Now, before I get bashed I know Pork is not really good for you but it is what we had on hand so I went with it today.

Breakfast:
4 small slices of Side Pork (This is not cured bacon, its what bacon looks like before the curing process for those who do not know it contains no salt...etc. It is what we prefer. The old me would have rolled in flour and then fried. This time I left off the flour though.)
2 eggs beaten and fried, topped with about 1/4 C. Shredded Cheddar
1 Cup Coffee (I cannot do this without coffee, on that I wont budge)

Lunch:
1 Fried Pork Steak
1 Cup Chopped Lettuce(I actually ate about half of that)
1 Green Onion
1/2 of a small tomato chopped
2 Tbsp Sour Cream
Water

That is all that I have eaten thus far. Am I doing ok with this? I am trying to plan supper and not certain what to eat at this point in time. I do not feel hungry at all. Yesterday I thought about making some sort of dessert but now I am not sure I even want it lol Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes, that looks fine - and pork is NOT a problem! Remember on Atkins you want your percentage of fat to be fairly high, and fat is the only possible complaint I can think of anyone making against pork. Likewise, neither salt nor coffee or in any way against the diet :-)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 15:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
Yes, that looks fine - and pork is NOT a problem! Remember on Atkins you want your percentage of fat to be fairly high, and fat is the only possible complaint I can think of anyone making against pork. Likewise, neither salt nor coffee or in any way against the diet :-)

Thank you!!! Happy to hear I made good choices!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 15:35

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Your menu looks good.
What's wrong with eating pork? Pork is YUMMY in all forms. Bacon, chops, ribs, pork rinds.......

I've found the best way to beat the craving for sweets/desserts is to not have them. I can usually knock out a craving for sweets with something high fat like deviled eggs, pork rinds dipped in guacamole, tuna/chicken salad.....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 15:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinright
Your menu looks good.
What's wrong with eating pork? Pork is YUMMY in all forms. Bacon, chops, ribs, pork rinds.......

I've found the best way to beat the craving for sweets/desserts is to not have them. I can usually knock out a craving for sweets with something high fat like deviled eggs, pork rinds dipped in guacamole, tuna/chicken salad.....

Thanks! I am not really much of a sweet eater myself. Some days I do crave a little something sweet though. I just wanted to have something on hand in case that happened. I've been eying a few recipes I may try at some point but as for how I am feeling now, I think I can skip the sweet for today.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 18:03
Registered Member

Stats: 148/136/110 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Looks good! Good luck to you I also can't go without coffee so I understand!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 19:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreichen
Looks good! Good luck to you I also can't go without coffee so I understand!

Thanks And Yes, Nobody could live with me if I had to give up my home brewed Duncan Donuts Coffee, talk about a grouch
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 19:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't be shy about using salt. You'll lose a lot of sodium on a LC diet and you need to make it up.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 19:54

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:

A sweet idea - when I absolutely must have something sweet, i do a couple ounces of cream cheese with sweetner and vanilla. Once you are past induction, you can warm that up a bit and dip some strawberries in it. But I agree that in general just not having any sweets helps get rid of that taste. It was my daughter's birthday on the weekend and I had one bite (a small one) of the cake I had made her and actually found it WAY to sweet - I couldn't really taste anything but sugar.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-13, 22:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 165/154.3/148 Female 170cm
BF:No Thanks.
Progress: 63%

That menu looks good. I cannot and would not give up coffee and I drink a lot of it. When I want something sweet I have Sugar free jelly and 3 tablespoons whipped cream.Or choc coconut oil almond bark. It does the trick.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 05:01

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Just one thing to watch for when using shredded cheese - as far as I know all pre-shredded cheeses have starch of some kind added to stop the strands sticking together, so check ingredients on the label to avoid eating wheat flour/rice flour/potato starch (or whatever other starch they use) by accident.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 05:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Let us know what you decided about dinner. My only added thought is to go by your own hunger signals. The first few weeks of eating lower carb is a huge adjustment for your body switching from a sugar-burner to a fat-burner. If you are hungry, eat some fat and protein. If you are not hungry for dinner, don't feel you have to eat.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 08:22

Stats: 238.0/238.0/170 Female 5"3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Just one thing to watch for when using shredded cheese - as far as I know all pre-shredded cheeses have starch of some kind added to stop the strands sticking together, so check ingredients on the label to avoid eating wheat flour/rice flour/potato starch (or whatever other starch they use) by accident.

I read something recently about this: apparently the added 'starch' is actually cellulose, which we do not digest, so no carbs.

Caroxx
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 11:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroxx
I read something recently about this: apparently the added 'starch' is actually cellulose, which we do not digest, so no carbs.

Caroxx

About the Potato Starch, I checked into that after I saw it on the ingredient list in the Shredded Cheese, it was listed on the package. According to the list of ingredients that I have that are stated to be Gluten Free, Potato Starch was on there. But...as for Atkins is it not allowed on induction?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-13, 11:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Let us know what you decided about dinner. My only added thought is to go by your own hunger signals. The first few weeks of eating lower carb is a huge adjustment for your body switching from a sugar-burner to a fat-burner. If you are hungry, eat some fat and protein. If you are not hungry for dinner, don't feel you have to eat.

For Dinner I went with about 4 slices of side pork and some fried cabbage and onions. According to the calculator I used online it stated that I had consumed about 20.8 carbs for the day. So I guess I did not do too bad, did exceed that a tiny bit, but I am not worried. I did notice that Onions have a lot of carbs and I was not aware of that fact! I love onions, guess it is something I am going to have to cut back on as well. This morning for Breakfast I had 4 slices of the Side again with 2 scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee. But this time I left out the cheese.