Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-15, 10:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I'm good with dairy, myself. But then I have not a drop of genetics from farther south than France and Ireland, and it seems that sensitivity to dairy seems to be more prevalent in those from the Mediterranean and farther south than that.

My aunt had a chunk of our heritage DNA tested, and we're all Northern Germany, Scandinavia, and British Isles. Ironically, places prone to rosacea But also places with a long history of grassfed dairy as a source of good fats, extra protein, which might help balance their low vegetable intake.

However, I do a lot of organically sourced, high fat, and even goat cheese, which can sidestep the hormones and protein problems of the usual dairy products. Fat free & skim varieties concentrates the issues without offering much of the benefits of dairy.

Lately, I've even swapped yogurt for sour cream. Love the flavor, hardly any carbs, and fermented, besides!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-15, 23:18

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My aunt had a chunk of our heritage DNA tested, and we're all Northern Germany, Scandinavia, and British Isles. Ironically, places prone to rosacea But also places with a long history of grassfed dairy as a source of good fats, extra protein, which might help balance their low vegetable intake.

Funny my father is Danish and my mother is from Northern Ireland so I come by the rosacea honestly!
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 05:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

understand that the rash is already improving, but just came across this article by Dr. Sarah Ballentyne on many related skin conditions and what additional steps might be required if a regular Paleo LC approach isn't enough. She is super strict with dairy, and also notes eggs... a food people often eat way more of when starting LC. A few more foods to consider for any skin conditions that may improve only with some "extra effort" above LC Paleo.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/...-psoriasis.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Dec-27-15 at 08:32.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-15, 13:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
understand that the rash is already improving, but just came across this article by Dr. Sarah Ballentyne on many related skin conditions and what additional steps might be required if a regular Paleo LC approach isn't enough. She is super strict with dairy, and also notes eggs... a food people often eat way more of when starting LC. A few more foods to consider for any skin conditions that may improve only with some "extra effort" above LC Paleo.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/...-psoriasis.html

Funny you should mention that as I haven't had too many eggs lately, mostly because I was getting sick of them. I know one naturopath that gains weight as soon as she starts eating eggs so she has to avoid them.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 04:14

In my enthusiasm for LC diets, I recommended it to a neighbor who happily lost weight, but then also became allergic to eggs by overeating them. Just because you can eat eggs on LC, doesn't mean you should have four a day. I have felt guilty and more cautious since then. As Sarah says, she could also take out all eggs for a while and then re-introduce some, or maybe just yolks, later.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 11:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think overeating a food can make you intolerant of it. You're probably already intolerant and eating more just makes the symptoms more apparent.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-15, 09:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
In my enthusiasm for LC diets, I recommended it to a neighbor who happily lost weight, but then also became allergic to eggs by overeating them. Just because you can eat eggs on LC, doesn't mean you should have four a day. I have felt guilty and more cautious since then. As Sarah says, she could also take out all eggs for a while and then re-introduce some, or maybe just yolks, later.

For me the most is 2 a day and funny enough, my dog who has allergies is allergic to them.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-15, 17:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Allergies can also be a sign that our bodies cannot dump toxins as fast as they come in. Cats who are fed raw food diets no longer trigger their people's allergies, for instance.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 08:04

Sure that you are aware of all the triggers for Rosacea, but have you considered the cold weather, wind and other craziness on the east coast of US (don't know where u r) after record high Christmas? My diet has been super LC since Christmas, and my hands are covered with a rough red rash and eczema patches. Assuming that is caused by the super cold weather now (for NC). That or running into some new hand cream/soap (unlikely). Whatever, looking like the housemaid hands in Downton Abby...and it has nothing to do with food.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-07-16 at 08:37.