Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-23, 18:06

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Medicine is plagued by untrustworthy clinical trials

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02299-w

I do wonder how many nutrition and diet-related studies have had the data massaged to get the results that the study was expected to show.

Quote:
Investigations suggest that, in some fields, at least one-quarter of clinical trials might be problematic or even entirely made up, warn some researchers. They urge stronger scrutiny.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-23, 19:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Stanford president is stepping down August 31.

Investigation has not found a problem but two papers will be retracted and another "fixed". According to one opinion he is getting off too easy as he was looked up to by the grad students.

Hard to believe in these studies. Are they correct info?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-23, 03:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

RetractionWatch.com is an organization which tracks scientific retractions. Because corporations control the money, and that controls the research.

Nothing could be LESS scientific than the routine corporate bribery that goes on.

But biology and physics don't care about money. They operate in reality. As does the people who will have their lives ruined as a result.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-23, 04:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

When i was a teen, i worked at a research facility doing lab work like weighing vials and washing labware.

Overheard two top researchers discussing phrasing of language in their paper. It was phrased to get more research money. From the oil industry.

Their work was in earnest. It was the system that corrupted.

My brother quit a full boat PhD scholarship in pharmaceutical research because of the financial insecurity of chasing funding.He did well as a pharmacist....loved it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-23, 05:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
[url]I do wonder how many nutrition and diet-related studies have had the data massaged to get the results that the study was expected to show.

We know Big Sugar funded tons of studies which put the blame on fat. Suddenly we had new, "healthy," industrial fats in our food. Thank you, not-science!

The science never was there. So they would order up another study comparing filtered cigarettes with non-filtered.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-23, 16:08

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

There is also a lot of pressure on academics to publish or perish. Without papers in top journals, their contracts won't get renewed, and if they have tenure, they won't get pay increases & promotions (unless they switch out of research into bureaucratic roles).
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-23, 10:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Something that bugs me is pointlessly reproduced results. When some almond or walnut board--or even the egg people--keep funding studies on the lipid response to adding a particular food to the diet. They know science will not advance, they also know that they will produce positive headlines for their product on slow news days.