Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 12:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Why Vitamin Pills Don’t Work, and May Be Bad for You

I'm no longer surprised. Supplements saved my life, and continue to do so. Yet, they are constantly attacked. I'm guessing the Usual Suspects, who would prefer we all get sick and fat and clamor for prescription drugs.

This just came across my radar:

Why Vitamin Pills Don’t Work, and May Be Bad for You

But the subheading is:

Quote:
We dose up on antioxidants as if they are the elixir of life. At best, they are probably ineffective. At worse, they may just send you to an early grave.

This isn't the same thing! And the deliberate confusion continues throughout the article.

Quote:
Pauling was basing his theories on the fact that vitamin C is an antioxidant, a breed of molecules that includes vitamin E, beta-carotene, and folic acid. Their benefits are thought to arise from the fact that they neutralise highly reactive molecules called free-radicals.

Of course, I'm a mutant, because taking lots of C when I'm sick (and lab studies indicate the body's need increases exponentially) and there's a real contrast with the times I do not. In addition, supplementing D3 has done wonders to help me dodge being sick at all.

Quote:
“They never really proved that they were extending lifespan, or improving it,” says Antonio Enriquez from the Spanish National Centre for Cardiovascular Research in Madrid. “Mice don’t care for [supplements] very much.”

Mice do well on grains. I don't.

Quote:
In 1994, before the publication of many of the large-scale clinical trials, Dr. Pauling died of prostate cancer.

At the age of 93, mind you. That's like the popular lie that "Dr. Atkins died of his own diet." Right, because at 72 he was active enough to still be walking to work. He slipped on some ice, hit his head, and died. If he'd been in a wheelchair when diabetes took his legs, it would never have happened!

Wait for it...

Quote:
“Diets rich in fruits and vegetables have been shown generally to be good for you,” says Lane. “Not invariably, but generally that’s agreed to be the case.” Although often attributed to antioxidants, the benefits of such a diet, he says, might also hail from a healthy balance of pro-oxidants and other compounds whose roles aren’t yet fully understood.

What, no studies?!?!? Just a weak-a$$ "generally that’s agreed to be the case" because fruits and vegetables are sacred.

The less I eat them, actually, the better I feel I'm down to leaves and berries, which is fine. That's what my ancestors had handy for thousands of years. Which might be why I'm still alive on such a low fiber regimen

Weak sauce, BBC.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 12:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im with you on this.

Vitamin D3. Last winter I was SAD free!! For the first time in decades of coping with degrees of depression. Drugs like Zoloft allowed me to function and get off the couch when in a severe depression; however, the side effect was the zombie effect. Dumped the Zoloft and learned to stand in the sunshine and dread 4 consecutive cloudy days, knowing that fourth 24 hrs was an hour by hour struggle to get thru. Then over a year ago I started supplementing with D3, high doses. 5000 units in sumner, then to 10,000 in October thru winter. Had a good winter last year.

This year Im looking forward to winter and enjoyed the fall like never before. Fall always my favorite season, but thus year the dread of short days is gone.

This winter will be better than last year.

All due to daily dose of Vit D3, far higher than RDA.

FRUIT. It is over rated. And I am growing apple trees, peaches, cherries and pears. Hoping to plant oawoaw and persimmon this year, and add more bush berries to the raspberries and mulberries. It us about moderation. Not 5-7 servings a day. But in snaller amounts. I like small apples. In a world where large and extra large RED apples dominate due to consummer pressure.

And vegies are more green leafy and sprouts . Not corn, fewer beans, little soy, few peas. Few root crops. Figure fresh dug potatoes from our own gardens is better than grain products; and hope to grow sweet potatoes next year as the greens are edible and the root stores well.

How many people actually eat 2 cups of leafy greens and a cup of other veggies a day??
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 13:07

BF:

That "5 a day for better health"?

Marketing. But the vegans ran with it like it was a herbivore.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 13:17

BF:

To share my own supplement schedule based on my unique needs:

AM - palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) and honokiol, 1 RAW thyroid , arctic root, iodine, 10k D3 w/ K2

2x after meals (try for 2 big meals in a 5 hour eating window) 2k niacin, 50 B complex, 2k C

PM - palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) and honokiol, 1 RAW thyroid, arctic root, bedtime dose sublingual: 100mg pregnenolone, 200mg L-theanine, 500 mg GABA (or as needed)

Let me tell you, friends and neighbors, this represents a winnowing DOWN of all I've tried!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 13:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just wonder if canning of fruit in season wasn't the beginning of the end with diabetes running ramped. I was thinking about the thread about gout. My GGGF had fruit trees, this I remember hearing. He was a big man in pics and he was the one who had gout. Not to say that canned jelly was the only source of sugar in the late 1800s but things weren't that available here until the 1990s when we first started getting imported delii meats and imported cheese. Until them the only deli meats you could find were bolognia or summer sausage.
I remember first having salamis (and other cured meats)in France and then in NY and wondering why we didn't have it in Texas.
Back in the day in the south I think the sugar they used was Molasses, not the white refined but all sugar just the same..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 13:27

BF:

WB, How much Iodine are you taking now, if I may ask?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 14:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just wonder if canning of fruit in season wasn't the beginning of the end with diabetes running ramped. I was thinking about the thread about gout. My GGGF had fruit trees, this I remember hearing. He was a big man in pics and he was the one who had gout. Not to say that canned jelly was the only source of sugar in the late 1800s but things weren't that available here until the 1990s when we first started getting imported delii meats and imported cheese. Until them the only deli meats you could find were bolognia or summer sausage.
I remember first having salamis (and other cured meats)in France and then in NY and wondering why we didn't have it in Texas.
Back in the day in the south I think the sugar they used was Molasses, not the white refined but all sugar just the same..

In the train of though of processed or canned foods, this article had some interesting info about the beginning of this effort.

Quote:
Settlers had relied on natural food preservation methods, like using salt, fermentation or sun drying, to keep their foods edible for long periods of time. So for these pioneers ringing in the new century, this era of quicker, easier food, more streamlined preservation techniques and more sanitary food processing must have been such a relief. Prior to the formation of the FDA (around 1906), artificial food additives weren’t regulated. Borax was used as a preservative, lead salts were used to color cheese and formaldehyde was added to milk to prevent curdling, since refrigeration was scarce. Scary!

https://modernpioneermom.com/2012/0...rocessed-foods/
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 14:38

BF:

Quote:
WB, How much Iodine are you taking now, if I may ask?

1,000 mcg daily. Ramping up gradually: started with the RAW thyroid 1 every third day, was so pleased with results it's now 2x a day.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 14:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
1,000 mcg daily. Ramping up gradually: started with the RAW thyroid 1 every third day, was so pleased with results it's now 2x a day.

1000mcg = 1mg
https://www.convertunits.com/from/mcg/to/mg

That's about what is in DD2's multiple vitamin.

I have Iodoral 12.5mg
and now I usually take 2tabs in the morning and 2 in the evening along with a 200 mcg capsule with each dose of iodine.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 15:32

BF:

I am intrigued and intend to explore further.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 16:05

BF:

Quote:
I am intrigued and intend to explore further.

From what I've read the iodine feeds those organs that use it. Thyroid, ovaries, prostate, breasts so it's not a foreign agent or some medication but a critically important nutrient that our body needs to function properly and to help prevent cancer in those organs mentioned.

........................................................................ .......................................

Added:
Quote:
An essential mineral, iodine is used by the thyroid gland to make thyroid hormones that control many functions in the body including growth and development. Because your body does not produce iodine, it needs to be supplied in the diet. When iodine intake is poor, the body cannot produce enough thyroid hormones.

https://www.eatright.org/food/vitam...ortant-nutrient

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Dec-18-19 at 18:08.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 21:34

BF:

Quote:
That "5 a day for better health"?

Marketing. But the vegans ran with it like it was a herbivore.

One the Feds rans with !!

Featured on the pyramid and the plate.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 21:57

BF:

Quote:
I just wonder if canning of fruit in season wasn't the beginning of the end with diabetes running ramped. I was thinking about the thread about gout. My GGGF had fruit trees, this I remember hearing. He was a big man in pics and he was the one who had gout. Not to say that canned jelly was the only source of sugar in the late 1800s but things weren't that available here until the 1990s when.......snip

According to Atkins , development of diabetes, obesity and heart attacks are linked to surges in sugar availability. Imo other food issues also play a part as they oarallel the increased availability of sugar. Gout , in my limited knowledge, was a rich mans disease inthe 1800s and before. Not a disease of the poor. Fast forward in time, cereal became the breakfast norm, snack foods became the norm.

And sugary foods like coke started about 1900 until , hmmm, we consume more soda than milk? Possibly. Sure feels like it.

Eating fruits has a long history ,whether dried or canned, or apples that store thru the winter in a cold celler.....In itself its is not bad food, but combine with over availability of grain, and the development of disease, avoidance of fruits or certainly limiting to a small amount like berries becomes part of the fix.

Gout is just one more on the disease list of metabilic diseases due to excessive food.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 23:24

BF:

On the other thread that Bev started about her DH and gout, I began searching and posted links to possible increasing vitamin C.
Then I found the other one about consuming vinegar like Braggs would be my choice.
It's worth a try.

I know without a doubt that increasing C completely stopped in it's tracks the strange foot pain I was having for 3-4 weeks until I read about Scurvy making a comeback and doctors seeing a lot more of it, if you can believe that. Articles said Scurvy starts in the feet.
Only two days of Vit C completely solved it, I was in shock!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 04:00

BF:

Quote:
On the other thread that Bev started about her DH and gout, I began searching and posted links to possible increasing vitamin C.
Then I found the other one about consuming vinegar like Braggs would be my choice.
It's worth a try.

I know without a doubt that increasing C completely stopped in it's tracks the strange foot pain I was having for 3-4 weeks until I read about Scurvy making a comeback and doctors seeing a lot more of it, if you can believe that. Articles said Scurvy starts in the feet.
Only two days of Vit C completely solved it, I was in shock!

Oh, I believe in a "pickle a day" I make my own sandwich dressing with hemp oil and Bragg's; we always have it on hand.

What dramatic evidence you experienced! I still sometimes indulge in Liposomal C, which bypasses the digestive system, and goes straight to the organs which need it. Pricey, but you only need 1 tablespoon a day.

I have always enjoyed reading about the polar explorers, and this fits right into their experiences, during the Victorian Era in Europe. They sailed eating hardtack and tinned beef, and once they ran low on food they would get the painful joints and loose teeth.

The ones who survived "went native" with the Inuit, leaving the supplies with their mates and eating fresh meat. So rigid was their cultural programming that even seeing how well their shipmates did often wasn't enough to persuade them. "I'm an Englishman." Yes, and you'll die one.

Even now there's constant claims and twisted studies to show the Inuit are "different" or that they really did eat lots of vegetables while migrating. This is countered by Indigenous people on every continent getting back to whatever their ancestral diet was: which was always low carb. They are particularly vulnerable to diabetes, and that could be an ancestral issue.

But NO ONE evolved on our processed corporate diet, did they?