Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 09:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSchaaff
I'm adding a quick post just to say THANK YOU!! to ProfGumby, as I have YET to read a post by you that didn't at some point absolutely crack me up~You have a wonderful sense of humor!! Thank you for the info, AND the laughs!!

Well thank you!

And I see by your stats you are doing well on your journey in this LC lifestyle! Keep up the success!
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 13:52

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by layev
Hi,

I am in week 3 of atkins and my hubby found a packet of rolo's (dont know wether you have them in the states, they are caramel centred chocs) they are lc and have 3.1 net carbs in them i ate only three yesterday as a treat but came on here and read some of the threads.

how can i tell if these are acceptible to my diet and how do i know what a trans fat is? and should they contain sugar? if so should i bin them? they cost £1.28 (about $2.50) for 10 in a pack they are about 1/2 inch big, hubby will go mad!!LOL!!!!

so dissapointed if they are rubbish lo carb treats

We have Rolos here in the U.S., but we never had the LC version of them. I am guessing they are loaded with sugar alcohols which for many people either stall their weight loss, raise their blood sugar, and/or create severe gas cramping and "expulsion" of said gas.

Being that you are just past induction or maybe still in induction, it would probably be more to your advantage to resist the treats even if they are LC. Part of the reason for the strictness of induction is to break you away from your bad eating habits.
  #183   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 03:44
Registered Member

Stats: 203/203/133 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I checked ou the ingredients and they are made with sucralose.

IM NOT A BIG CHOCCIE EATER REALLY ITS MORE BREAD AND TATERS FOR ME!

i have 2 a day to get rid and then i will stop - promise!!!!
  #184   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 10:23

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:

I see, there is a LC version of them? Sweetened with sucralose? Hmm... usually sucralose is paired with other sweetners, generally Acesulfame-K(sp) or any of the dreaded 'tols (malitol, sorbitol etc...)

Hey, if they cause no problems for you and you are able to eat them only in moderation, and your blood levels are fine, I say why stop?
  #185   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 03:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I like you!

I always have been a moderate person although my downfall in my normal way of eating is eating on the hoof, sandwiches mainly as time always seemed limited, I have decided to stay under 20g carb/day for a while but add in other foods as per the OWL section. Im bored of the choice but want to stick to as little carb as poss, in 3 weeks I have not eaten any more than 18-20 carbs usually about 12/13 apart from once where I miscalculated my veg and ended up eating about 21.

I have loads to eat, am never hungry or craving anything, drink water and still have bad breath sometimes but hey its all good as im getting thinner!
  #186   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 07:38

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:

Actually it says HERE they are made also with maltitol and ACE-K with maltitol being the first ingredient listed which here in the U.S. the ingredients are listed with the most first.

#187   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 03:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh right!

to be honest as im new here and new to lo-carbing i didnt know this was a sweetner! I know sucralose, saccarine and that other one begining with A. I should have looked it up really as for all i knew maltalol could have been boiled mouse tails - lo carb!lol!! never heard of ACE -K.

They have been consumed and i have lost 3lb this week (which im chuffed about) so i will stay off them for the time being and try to stay off these manufactured products who seem to take great pleasure in adding bad thing to so-called lo carb products.
  #188   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 07:52
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Malitol and other words ending in -itol are sugar alcohols. Do some reading on these, esp before you try to finish all the chocolate in a few days. Malitol can have a high GI just like sugar, but it also is basically a laxative to many people. Not only is there the chance of laxative effect, but painful cramping, gas, and bloating in some people.

Others aren't effected at all. I've found there seems to be a cumalative effect however. When I first started low carbing I had no problem with sugar alcohols. After a while of having products with the sugar alcohols I found they did start effecting my stomach. Other people report problems at first, but they build a tolerence instead of the other way, so it really is something that effects each person differently.
  #189   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 12:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yes bowel problem encountered yesterday set off my IBS and i had to go to hospital i was in so much pain!

Wont do that again.
  #190   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 13:48

Stats: 225/225/200 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

I'm new here and I've found the Turkey Hill LC Peanut Butter sundae is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! I thought I died and went to heaven while I was eating this. It does I believe have these sugar alcohols in it and says 4 net carbs per serving. I'm still losing about a pd a week while eating this every other night or every 3rd night. Don't know about the hyd. oils in it I'll have to check those out, but this stuff has to be bad for me. It tastes to good to be true!!!!
  #191   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 09:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 220/205/165 Female 5' 7''
BF:
Progress: 27%

Does anyone know if the Tastycake Sensibles are good for a LC diet? They are soo good and I can't seem to give them up!
  #192   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-06, 09:00

Stats: 263/228/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Nasty alert!!

Just tried Breyers new CarbSmart 0 carb ice cream. Chocolate and Vanilla in one container. It was absolutely awful. It tasted like pure sugar alcohol and the consistency....it didn't melt in my mouth as much as it dissolved....gross!

Even worse. I put my bowl in the kitchen sink last night and didn't rinse the ice cream out right away. It never melted!! It was still a glob 5 hours later.

Frankenfood at it's worst. Don't bother with this product. Blech!
  #193   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-06, 09:27
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJD2004
Just tried Breyers new CarbSmart 0 carb ice cream. Chocolate and Vanilla in one container. It was absolutely awful. It tasted like pure sugar alcohol and the consistency....it didn't melt in my mouth as much as it dissolved....gross!

I am glad I am not the only one who thought it was disgusting! I do like the regular CarbSmart chocolate ice cream (which has 4 net carbs) but this kind was dreadful!
  #194   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 07:04

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm glad this thread exists. Nothing derails a strict diet faster than 'goodies' designed by the low carb industry to lure low carbers back into spending their hard earned money on overpriced items of questionable value. The most detrimental thing most dieters do is begin to compromise with these worthless products. It's a slippery slope back into the frankenfood world we left. and newer, more stubborn pounds.

You really can't have your cake and eat it too. But the great thing is that as you keep your carbs low and your food pure and natural-sourced you become craving-free.

Eating just meat, or meat and eggs, or Paleo or Neanderthin all bring you to the point of being satisfied with little fuss or bother and save you money. Just my experience.
  #195   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 09:49
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
You really can't have your cake and eat it too.

Well.....you can....almost.
You have to make it yourself