Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 13:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default carb addict/compulsive eater needs help badly!

Hi everyone.

I've been LC since last September, on and off might I add as I have real trouble staying on the wagon. The longest I've managed to stay cheat-free is 6 weeks. My cheats tend to be 2 or 3 day long binges on bread, potatos, or anything else that comes to hand. I'm gaining weight, admittedly this is very slowly as I'm on induction-style eating the rest of the week.
I lost 21lbs initially on Atkins but I've gained back 16 of these and I so want to lose them again, plus more.
I do go to the gym regularly and I'm happy about that, but on the other hand I'm having real trouble controlling my eating. If you read my log or other posts I've always been like this, not just whilst LC but my whole life. I am a compulsive eater and a carb addict. I'm not bothered about losing weight fast, I just want it to come off at any pace! I just don't want to gain it, and I don't want to be fat any more
I've never been slim or even medium-sized so I'd love to be just to find out how it feels!
Any help or support anyone can offer would be gratefully received.

Becky.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:13
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Becky...Only you can control your eating habits. You are letting the food control you. Like any habit it's tough to break. If you want it bad enough you will do it. It's all a matter of choices. You choose what you put in your mouth. When you want to eat choose healthy LC food. You should not be hungry on this WOE.

I get the 'munchies' too when I'm not really hungry. Especially when I'm here at my computer. I just have to tell myself 'later, not now.' Sometimes later never comes until mealtime. If I keep my mind busy I don't think about it.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:55

Stats: 193.5/164.5/133.5 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Becky, i too consider myself to be a compulsive eater, excuse me, a former compulsive. though i have been eating atkins for only one month, i have noticed that my trips to the fridge in the afternoon and evening are lessening. the biggest help to my appetite is the three meals a day thing. i had never eaten 3 a day, but the ravished feeling is gone. i do spend a fair amount of time looking through low-carb recipes but not as much time in the kitchen as i did at the start of induction. i try to drink 2 litres of water a day, and from reading some threads today, i now believe i shall try for 3 litres. the exercise requires motivation which i do not have, but am hoping to obtain. that's one of the main reasons i read these threads. hoping to learn and get motivated. i have not had any difficulty eating on atkins, and am happy on it but i know i should be doing more. good luck on your journey . you mention that you go to the gym regularly, what motivates you to go? you see, it's that step which you do, that i cannot seem to do with regularity. all the best,
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:25
Airy Cats Eyes

Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%
Default I sympathize

Hi Becky,
My name is Eri and I'm a compulsive overeater. I don't know if you've been to OA or if when you've gone people have fits over your food plan...but the 12 step program really helps deal with addiction to food of any kind.
I found the first month approximately of low-carbing on Atkins to be very healing for me. I think it's only because I might have PMS that I am craving sweets & starches, but I'm not eating any.
I'm sending you cyber energy to keep away from the carbs (imagine a carb alarm:"Step away from the carb! Step away from the carb!"). I thought I'd never be able to keep away from them. Maybe I'll give in one day--I am just like you and once I start, it is so hard to stop.
Remember that freedom from carb addiction feels better than any taste of potato, pasta or bread.
Try for a day at a time.

I seem to have gained 2 of my pounds and I don't quite know why except that I added berries and the chocolate truffles from the Atkins book. I'm resisting the call of the chocolate for a week and I might eliminate the berries. It could be water weight---arrrrrgh I'm obsessing about the darn scale!!!!
Hang in there Becky!! Is that your picture where an avatar might be? You look really cool and determined!

Eri Z
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 20:29
Airy Cats Eyes

Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%

P.S. Becky,
what do you say to yourself to get yourself to the gym?
I have such a hard time getting motivated and I need to or my muscles will turn to mush...
Eri Z
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 21:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 68/?/60 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:
Smile

hi all,

I feel the same way you do becky, I don't know why I do it but I eat without thinking and my binges do last a few days.

I don't know what your lifes like at the moment, but mine is pretty messed up so I know that the added stress does make me overeat. my problem, I LOVE lollies, I know, I know, but my mind is way too powerful most of the time.

I wake up EVERY morning and go to the gym, yeah, sounds nuts, but I can motivate myself at the gym, yet I can't motivate myself on a healthy eating plan. what's that all about?!

if you guys could give me some motivation to eat right then I'll motivate you to do your exercise.

have a good one
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 02:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

what i shock i'm the exact same, i think to myself one more bite then thats it no more, then i think to myself well i broke my calorie limit already so i might as well binge, its tought to fight this feeling but you have to be strong. write a time plan for the times you can eat and what you can eat, this way you'll find its easier.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:46
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Rebsee
You're a carb addict. You'll always be a carb addict. You need to control your insulin. You also need to plan your meals. And you need to include something carby (maybe a fruit) every day while controlling for carbs and insulin reactors at other meals.

Why don't you look at the list of stallers/crave causes in the sticky in the CAD/CALP forum.

Why don't you do a lc CAD like BeccaRN did. She got to goal on it.

CAD does not have to be high carb.

Good luck what ever you decide.