Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-22, 05:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Lactose intolerant people drank milk for 9,000 years... but were fine

Quote:
Lactose intolerant people drank milk for 9,000 years... but were fine

Dairy products were consumed without complaint 9,000 years before most humans evolved gene to digest them

A flat white with soy or oat milk has become a common coffee order among millennials, with many citing lactose intolerance for their dairy avoidance.

But a new study shows that lactose intolerant people have been drinking milk for more than 9,000 years without significant health issues.

Scientists say the inability to digest lactose would have posed very few problems to ancient people in good health, simply causing some minor discomfort and digestive symptoms.

Researchers from University College London and the University of Bristol suggest the ability to tolerate milk developed in healthy people who survived famine and disease.

“It's probably the most strongly selected single gene trait to have evolved in Europeans and also in many African and Middle Eastern and Southern Asian populations over the last 10,000 years," said Prof Mark Thomas, Professor of Evolutionary Genetics at the University College London.

The study, published in Nature, touts that people have been drinking milk for millenia even if the symptoms are suboptimal.

A team of academics gathered historical data on how much milk was drunk around the world at various times and compared this to when the lactase gene was common.

They found that there was no link between the two, confirming that drinking milk and being able to digest lactose was of no evolutionary benefit.

However, the evidence did show that during times of famine and disease, when a person was likely to be under more physical stress, the intolerance could prove fatal as severe symptoms caused deadly dehydration and other gastrointestinal problems.

It was at these periods of time, the scientists say, that the prevalence of the lactase gene shot up.

The lactase gene was 689 times more likely to be found in a person during times of famine, the researchers found, and 284 times more likely in times of disease.

“If you are healthy and lactase non-persistent, and you drink lots of milk, you may experience some discomfort, but you not going to die of it,” said Professor George Davey Smith, Director of the MRC Integrative Epidemiology Unit at the University of Bristol and a co-author of the study.

“However, if you are severely malnourished and have diarrhoea, then you’ve got life-threatening problems. When their crops failed, prehistoric people would have been more likely to consume unfermented high-lactose milk – exactly when they shouldn’t.”

The authors concluded: “Our study demonstrates how, in later prehistory, as populations and settlement sizes grew, human health would have been increasingly impacted by poor sanitation and increasing diarrhoeal diseases, especially those of animal origin.

“Under these conditions consuming milk would have resulted in increasing death rates, with individuals lacking lactase persistence being especially vulnerable."

Around one in ten Britons are lactose intolerant today, but this figure is as high as two-thirds elsewhere in the world. The level of lactose intolerance has decreased over time, with most adults 5,000 years ago unable to drink milk without some discomfort.

But the modern-day obsession with our food allergies and intolerances has led to a surge in popularity of non-dairy foods, such as pea, potato, soy and almond milks, as well as lactose-free cheese and non-dairy ice cream.

However, new data show they are most likely unnecessary, as lactose people have been consuming milk and dairy for millenia without real issue.

Human babies make an enzyme called lactase, which allows them to break down the sugar in milk and dairy - lactose - to make energy.

In lactose intolerant people, this ability is lost in childhood and they are unable to break down the sugar naturally. People who are so-called “lactose persistent” keep the ability and can break down dairy all their life.

It was long thought that this ability emerged via natural selection, because it would be beneficial to be able to consume milk.

This was because prehistoric people may have had to drink large amounts of milk from cattle when drinking water was scarce.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...000-years-fine/

Quote:
How humans’ ability to digest milk evolved from famine and disease

Landmark study is the first major effort to quantify how lactose tolerance developed.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-02067-2

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-22, 08:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The headline is a bit deceptive. They were fine, but uncomfortable, until they died from malnutrition.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-22, 14:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I'm not convinced.

Just talked to a young woman yesterday with lactose intolerance. Confirmed when Lactaid milk saw better results. She cramps up and even throws up. Nothing minor there. And her room mate attested to the stink of abnormal flatulence . Both made faces! Lol

Traditionally milk was not just fresh but made into "yogurt" and cheeses and other aged and fermented foods. Those processes knock down lactose. I'm betting people who experienced lactose intolerance learned quickly to stick to fermented or aged dairy and avoid fresh milk.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-22, 14:51

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

In most of the world babies drink breast milk and adults don't drink milk at all. It is promotion by the Dairy Industry that got adults thinking that drinking milk was a normal thing to do. 200 yrs ago my ancestors had one cow for a family of 13. They took most of it to the "cheese factory" in their rural area of Ontario - basically a communal spring-cooled stone hut where the cheese could age without spoiling.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-22, 09:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Definitely something happened to increase lactose tolerance in the population of at least Europeans.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-22, 04:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I think it's as simple as people in temperate zones farmed and people nearer the poles or in the mountains herded. They had to work with their climate.

So, like everything else about our personal genomes, we are likely to digest most effectively if we eat the diet our ancestors adapted to. Just as our predecessors varied in the color of their skin according to how much sun protection they needed at their location.

I only eat fermented dairy and it agrees with me. I only eat pickled vegetables to avoid digestive issues... which turn into autoimmune issues.

That's the digestive enzyme hand I was dealt, and I think understanding what our bodies expect to eat should shape what we do eat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-22, 09:19

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

My lactose intolerant DD1 recently visited for a couple of weeks. We bought lactose free milk for her, and after getting over whatever exposure she had to too much lactose during her trip, she was doing much better.

Then she also spent a couple of days visiting in another state with DD2 - apparently the supposedly lactose-free milk she bought there was mislabeled (she also said that milk tasted sweeter than the usual lactose free milk), because she immediately started having digestive distress again.

Having grown up on farms, I was always well aware that a milking cow produces far more milk than a family can use in it's fresh state- and this is with reliable refrigeration. However, most cows will also "go dry" at some point during the year.

As Deidre and Arielle pointed out, since a cow produces more milk than can be reasonably consumed fresh, most of the milk prior to reliable refrigeration was not consumed in a fresh state. It was made into yogurt, or various types of cheeses, the cream could be skimmed off and churned to make butter - all of those processes result in dairy products which contain little to no lactose at all. At least some of these processes also resulted in foods which could be preserved for use throughout the year, whether the cow was producing a lot of milk or not.

_________

Back to DD1 - Despite her lactose intolerance, she can eat cheese, cultured yogurt, cultured sour cream, fresh cream, real ice cream (not ice milk). What they all have in common is that most (if not all) of the lactose has been converted through culturing or removed in the process of making that product, so that the finished product has very little to no lactose at all.

The claim that people were lactose intolerant for 9,000 years but were fine -

They weren't "fine". They were miserable.

If they figured out what was making them sick (fresh milk) they avoided it.

If they didn't, they died from the lactose intolerance, or lactose intolerance combined with a stomach virus, which would likely cause them to become severely dehydrated.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-22, 17:37

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Not scientific, just a personal observation.

I was very lactose intolerant. I love cheese and would bring activated charcoal capsules to soothe my gut.

Then I went Keto (we called it Atkins induction then) and gave up wheat. That was back in the 1990s. When I quit eating wheat, the lactose intolerance went away. I still have a half bottle of charcoal caps in the cupboard, and haven't needed them.

I have dairy every day now, cream in my coffee, whey protein shakes and cheese at least 5 days per week. No problem at all.

So I wonder if there is a connection between wheat and dairy intolerance. Can the wheat suppress the body's creation of lactase or something like that? Was it really wheat intolerance that manifested itself when I consumed dairy?

I have no idea. I do know that without wheat, or with only occasional minor amounts of it, I no longer have the dairy problem that I had for the first 40 years of my life.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-22, 12:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

So I wonder if there is a connection between wheat and dairy intolerance. Can the wheat suppress the body's creation of lactase or something like that? Was it really wheat intolerance that manifested itself when I consumed dairy?

A few decades ago I had terrible gastritis and the doctor said I should try avoiding dairy. Which I did for over a decade, with okay results.

Then I started Atkins and found cheese, yogurt, even cream was okay. And I did cut down the grains radically.

Went gluten free and NOW I react to gluten.

I'm thinking allergen load...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-22, 19:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Bob and WereBear - You may be on to something!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, newborn babies don't ever seem to be intolerant to the lactose in mother's milk.

But then newborns don't eat wheat either - at least not until they're started on cereal (I don't know what the recommended age is right now - it was 4 months when my kids were little). Back then, they started on rice cereal, then moved on to oats, and finally wheat.

I wonder how long it takes after starting on that wheat cereal before signs of gluten intolerance or lactose intolerance starts to show up?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-22, 05:32

BF:

Apparently, there is science behind it. If gluten damages the intestines, they can't make the enzyme to digest lactose.

Quote:
Link between celiac disease and lactose intolerance

Q. Is celiac disease linked with lactose intolerance? Can consuming dairy products trigger your lactose intolerance does it have a link between the two?

Answer

Yes, people with celiac disease frequently have lactose intolerance, especially upon diagnosis.

In celiac disease, an autoimmune response is triggered when gluten is ingested and causes damage to the lining of the small intestine. Damage to the intestinal lining can lead to the body’s inability to produce an enzyme called lactase. This is the enzyme that breaks down lactose. Lactose is the sugar in milk and dairy products.

It's about the intestinal damage. And if a dairy food is fermented, the lactose feeds the fermentation process, leaving little work for the enzymes.

My dairy consumption is very low lactose, since I eat cheese, yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, and heavy cream. I don't drink milk and my ice cream consumption is rare.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-22, 05:44

BF:

And of course, what if a lot of people's lactose intolerance is actually a marker for their intestinal damage?

Back to the ancestral pattern we inherited to make the enzymes for the food THEY ate. My genetic inheritance is 2/3 Northern European mountains. In such circumstances, they weren't farmers. They were herders.

At least in my experience, this put me on the back foot in a society which tilts heavily agrarian, and is getting pushed further in that direction by the food industry.

This contributes to so many people adopting the "Pritikin approach" to food, where it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you fill your stomach. This was Pritikin's rationale for his obsession with low fat... which worked out terribly but was still perpetuated until very recently.

It's a principle of Weston Price than a lot of traditional food prep was rooted in getting rid of plant toxins. All the step-skipping shortcuts for speed and profit are creating food that isn't what our ancestors ate. As as someone who is -- at least now -- super-sensitive to lectins, it makes my food choices look downright weird.

But perhaps it does explain my love of mountains Where I live now.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-22, 12:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Bob and WereBear - You may be on to something!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, newborn babies don't ever seem to be intolerant to the lactose in mother's milk.

But then newborns don't eat wheat either - at least not until they're started on cereal (I don't know what the recommended age is right now - it was 4 months when my kids were little). Back then, they started on rice cereal, then moved on to oats, and finally wheat.

I wonder how long it takes after starting on that wheat cereal before signs of gluten intolerance or lactose intolerance starts to show up?
It is not always the lactose in milk that people have a problem with, but the protein (casein), and the proteins in wheat/grains (glutenin, gliadin). And the protein in mother's milk is different from that in cows milk. As a baby, cow's milk gave me colic, so I was fed a soy-based formula in the mid 1950s and then became "tolerant" of cows milk at ~2. I never could stand the smell or even the sound of it being poured into a glass.

Rice, oat & wheat pablum were pushed on mothers by Big Agra. Before that mothers pureed vegetables, meat & potatoes from a portion of the family meal (pre-seasoning), transitioning from breast milk to real meat, veg, potatoes at ~6 months. And by 2 they were eating with the family, not special foods for every whim - eat it or stay hungry. My grandfather was a pediatrician & when my sister was born in 1950 he was horrified by all the processed crap mothers were stuffing into their babies faces and marketing promoted doing it earlier & earlier. Then mothers would compete for whose baby ate it first, and chubby babies were marketed as healthier.

But post WWII, food was more available, as were antibiotics, antiparasitics, etc. so babies didn't need to be over-fattened to protect them from illness (which did help before the Depression & WWII). instead we fed animal-fattening fodder to kids and the majority of them developed the metabolic syndromes we see today.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Aug-26-22 at 12:18.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-22, 09:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
But post WWII, food was more available, as were antibiotics, antiparasitics, etc. so babies didn't need to be over-fattened to protect them from illness (which did help before the Depression & WWII). instead we fed animal-fattening fodder to kids and the majority of them developed the metabolic syndromes we see today.

Feeding milk to malnourished children did such wonders for them that it developed the reputation of a special health food. Which is why we all got free milk in one of my elementary schools. That's from the turn of last century, and it is far superior to soda, certainly.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-22, 13:26

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Not scientific, just a personal observation.

I was very lactose intolerant. I love cheese and would bring activated charcoal capsules to soothe my gut.

Then I went Keto (we called it Atkins induction then) and gave up wheat. That was back in the 1990s. When I quit eating wheat, the lactose intolerance went away. I still have a half bottle of charcoal caps in the cupboard, and haven't needed them.

I have dairy every day now, cream in my coffee, whey protein shakes and cheese at least 5 days per week. No problem at all.

I have no idea. I do know that without wheat, or with only occasional minor amounts of it, I no longer have the dairy problem that I had for the first 40 years of my life.

I've also wondered the same thing about wheat and dairy. When I was an infant, I had a terrible time with cow's milk. My mother breast fed me for just a short time, and after going on formula I apparently cried all the time. She tried a lot of things, and finally discovered I did better with goat's milk. However, I hated milk my whole childhood. My mother was diagnosed with celiac disease when I was 16. They didn't know as much then as they do now about predisposing genes and all that. The doctors said her children had perhaps one chance in 10,000 that any of us would inherit the condition. Of course, they couldn't have really known that. In any case, I never got sick from wheat like my very reactive mother did, and never thought anything about it. I always had issues with dairy...I couldn't eat milk, ice cream, cheese etc. without getting stomach cramps and the runs. In 2003 I did Atkins for the first time, his original induction version which had no dairy, grains or cheese. I felt better than I ever had, no digestive issues at all. In 2009 I got gene testing and did some other testing, learned I had the celiac gene and another gene (from father) that predisposed to gluten sensitivity. I went off gluten and after about 9 months of that, tried limited dairy again. In limited amounts it doesn't bother me. I can get away with a cappuccino each day as the whipped half and half in it is a limited amount. If I eat more dairy than that, I get digestive woes again. Ice cream is hard to digest, although I actually did better with Lactaid ice cream. That's interesting because when I did the celiac stool testing, I also had them test for dairy, and they claimed I was also sensitive to the casein in milk. Perhaps I'm sensitive to both the casein as well as the lactose.

All said, I have long felt that not eating gluten allows me to tolerate limited dairy much better.