Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 07:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Wheat Belly, the book

I love this book. It's also incredibly radical.

I preordered it for my Kindle, so when it popped up I fell on it and devoured it. This work is going to explode a lot of heads.

Dr. Davis's central thesis, supported by case studies, history, self-experimentation, and lots of well-explained science, is that we are not eating wheat as we've known since the Egyptians built granaries... we are eating its genetic Frankenstein's monster.

The Green Revolution that created dwarf, high yield, wheat that comes with its own fungicide and insecticide right in the easily shattered seed head; this is pure poison.

Everything that was bad about wheat before has been put on steroids. And our industrial food processes have put it in everything.

Roughly the first half explains these contentions; the second half will be familiar to low carbers as he explains what to eat when the wheat is gone. There's a bunch of primal-friendly recipes, too.

He also advises avoiding gluten-free products, as they are composed of grain starches that have an even greater impact upon blood sugar. He discusses wheat's impact on blood sugar and how it affects insulin, but many might be surprised that this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to wheat's dangers.

Like the Drs. Eades and Dr. Atkins himself, Dr. Davis brings the gravitas inherent in having medically shepherded so many people through the disbelief, struggles, and triumphs of such a drastic change in eating patterns. While he is a cardiologist, he also winds up treating diabetes, IBS, celiac disease and many others because it is so often part of the constellation of misery that is Metabolic Syndrome.

What were my favorite parts?
  • Traditional vs Genetic Monster: he finds a source of ancient wheat to test his blood sugar on
  • The people: his patients had some really dramatic turnarounds which make for incredible stories
  • The humor: if you aren't familiar with Dr. Davis' blog, you will be surprised by his light style among the deadly serious subject matter

I also owe Dr. Davis a debt of gratitude; it was his blog that made me realize I had to give up my rare "cheats" with wheat. I lost MORE weight without effort, my rosacea calmed even further, my arthritis went from "needing a pill for sleep" to "my hands feel like they are healing!". It also spawned a bunch of people spontaneously exclaiming, "My god, what have you done? You look FANTASTIC!" These all might be subtle effects, considering I already had a lot of low carbing behind me; but it adds up to a dramatic difference in my own life.

I'm planning to talk up this book at every opportunity. I'm going to get the tree-style book and pass it around to everyone I know. I'm going to hold myself up as an example of the dramatic difference no-wheat can make.

I want the whole world to discuss this book. Because their lives are at stake.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 08:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Thanks for the quick review. Definitely looking forward to getting my copy.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 136/129/115 Female 61.5"
BF:26%/22%/21.7%
Progress: 33%

To paraphrase what Thomas McGuane once said of Edward Abbey: Dr. Davis is a national treasure. Give him money and prizes. Don't let anything happen to him.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-11, 10:44
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

"It's diet sacrilege" ... Luvvvveeit!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 10:36
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Oh, I didn't see where Were satrted this thread....

My take....

I just finished it.

It is now going on my list of references/blogs/ and reading material that I have compiled for my pateints.

I think those pateints of mine who are really looking for a change to improve their health and their weight will find it valuable.

Easy to read and understand. I wish Dr. Davis had taken a bit more time with the estrogen/moob connection.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
_____

I'll go delete the thread I started._____________
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 14:20

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Looks like they are paying attention :
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/...on-fights-back/

The Grain Foods Foundation fights back!
Posted on September 2, 2011 by Dr. Davis

Taking such a controversial stand in Wheat Belly, i.e., that wheat products, whole or refined, have NO ROLE IN THE HUMAN DIET whatsoever, was bound to provoke criticism and counterattacks. The wheat world has already taken a blow to the chin with the growing popularity of the (misguided) gluten-free movement.

Take a look at the press release from the Grain Foods Foundation:

RIDGWAY, COLO. — The Grain Foods Foundation has unveiled plans to counter media publicity attracted by “Wheat Belly.”

“Mullen, working with key members of the Grain Foods Foundation’s scientific advisory board, is addressing ‘Wheat Belly’ through proactive media outreach and its ongoing rapid response program,” said Ashley Reynolds, a Mullen account executive. “In particular, the public relations team will be contacting health and nutrition reporters at print and on-line media outlets, as well as editors at major women’s magazines to influence any diet-related stories that may be published in the coming months.”

. . . Ms. Reynolds, a registered dietitian, noted the author relies on anecdotal observations rather than scientific studies; wheat elimination “means missing out on a wealth of essential nutrients;” six servings of grain-based foods are recommended daily in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans; healthy weight loss depends on energy balance rather than elimination of specific foods; and elimination of wheat products makes sense only for those with medical diagnoses such as celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.

She said the group will lean on its scientific advisory board members to “discredit the book and ensure our messages are backed by sound science. “

Here’s some of their starting salvos on their Six Servings Blog.

Note the circular reasoning: The Dietary Guidelines for Americans advise eating more healthy whole grains; Davis’ assertions are counter to this, so he must be wrong.

You know what this reminds me of? The fight with Big Tobacco in the ’70s: “No, sir, we in the tobacco industry know of no research demonstrating that smoking is bad for health.”

So brace yourself for a fight. These people are protecting a multi-billion dollar franchise, not to mention their livelihoods and incomes. It could get ugly.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 22:46

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

I went to the website Angeline and they are refusing to show comments..I read the comments at Dr.Davis and Hutchinson and several others left comments at the 6 servings site but they are not posted...Just shows what a despicable,cowardly site when you don't have the courage to post your detractors comments..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-11, 04:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
I went to the website Angeline and they are refusing to show comments..I read the comments at Dr.Davis and Hutchinson and several others left comments at the 6 servings site but they are not posted...Just shows what a despicable,cowardly site when you don't have the courage to post your detractors comments..

Typical. Because this isn't a debate. It's simply propaganda.

And it WILL get ugly. Krispy Kreme almost went under in 2003, after DANDR came out. And all the big companies, who have financial ties to the television, put the word out, Crush this thing.

Because so many people have shown up here, saying things like "I was on Atkins back in 2002-3-4 and it was working great but everyone scared me so bad..."

And that was just talking about "cutting back." Dr. Davis is calling for a complete elimination of all wheat... and their profits.

Back in '72, it was genuine health concerns, based on the misconceived science we've all suffered under. But it was at least coming from the science world. NOW it's sheer Protection of Profits.

As a side note, Tom Naughton has reviewed the book and he has some hilarious "Wheat is Murder - Go Paleo" shirts on his site that I'll have to get soon...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-11, 12:15

Plan: Kwasniewski
Stats: 120/132/115 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -240%

kind of a sidetrack but i would like to share my wheat story. the other day i ate a bunch... lots of times if i do then i will get sick right away (like i will get stomach/intestine pain). i did get that on the same day, but i also got it on the day after... the wheat was still going through my intestines and causing problems, ewww. i'm glad that book came out because it definitively explains why wheat is bad (ie the strains are different now). before i was like, so... people have invested all this time into a grain that makes you feel like shit? why?

also then the day after i'm pretty sure i wanted more wheat. mmmm. and i looked really bad and felt weird.

about fighting these grain corps, i have this quote to share "liberty is taken, not given". also... the world will be healthier without wheat. we can find grain people other jobs, not corporate ones though.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-11, 12:27

BF:

Great interview of Dr. Davis talking about his book.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/08/30/the-...ion-episode-95/
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-11, 17:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Unfortunately, I don't think that the wheat/grain industry has anything to worry about. For every anti-wheat article, there are probably 1000 articles touting the benefits of healthy whole wheat/grains.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-11, 18:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Great interview of Dr. Davis talking about his book.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/08/30/the-...ion-episode-95/

That was great, thanks!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-11, 19:02

BF:

Found another one, this time with Jimmy Moore. It was quite different from the first interview, so worth a listen.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/...-william-davis/
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 03:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Would it make a difference to use spelt instead of wheat? Occasionally (very rarely) I eat things coated in bread crumbs. I've always known that it's not lowcarb-friendly, but I didn't think of other implications. If I use spelt bread crumbs instead of regular wheat ones, wuld I be improving my diet? I was just thinking of spelt supposedly being an ancient kind of wheat.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 05:10

BF:

According to Dr. Davis, wheat has always been a problem for humans, with the modern wheat variety being especially bad. He experimented on himself using older varieties of wheat, and found he didn't react as strongly to them, but still reacted.

My advice would be, try to find gluten free alternatives. There are a bunch of options out there.