Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 07:16

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Isn't McDougall a very low fat diet?

Seems to me that part of your problem on McDougall, is that you are simply not eating enough fat.

I got the impression from your posts that you oscillate between an all meat diet which made you feel best and a McDougall diet (which i understand to be vegetarian, low-fat), which you liked best.

I'm not surprised you are having problems. I don't think I could do it either. Even when hungry, I am not especially attracted to meat. I'm fine with meat along side my salad, or vegs, or cooked in a stew, but on its own? Bleh.

I think maybe you need to stop the extremes. Do a sort of addition (as opposed to elimination) diet. Start with meat, which you know you tolerate well, but do not especially like. Add things back gradually and see how you tolerate them. Add food one at a time, and monitor yourself for any reactions. Keep a strict food journal.

The food that are most commonly allergenic are grain containing glutens, milk, eggs, nuts (especially peanuts).

Make sure to eat lots of good fat (satured and mono). I think that your hunger on McDougall was due to the effect of all those carbs on your blood sugar, unmitigated by any fat.
BTW, your symptoms sounds a lot like hypoglycemia.

As for your gut issues, you are obviously intolerant to a few things. Take a lot at this series, it's very interesting

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=235

Thank you, Angeline, for a very helpful post. I can't take the time right now to give this the response it deserves, but want you to know I appreciate it, and the great link. I am doing exactly what you suggest and if I get some time in the future I will report back on my progress.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 14:13

BF:

It looks like Bill Clinton has adopted the type of diet I was inquiring about -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ie...player_embedded
  #198   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-10, 06:26

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I saw on the news that the University of Oregon is using John McDougall's diet as part of their Health and Sciences cirriculum. I'm not sure in what context, if they are studying the effects of his diet or what, but its interesting that they are giving it valid consideration. The McDougall diet is extreme, it would be hard for the average person to stick to, but those that do stick to it have remarkable results in lessening symptoms of MS and heart disease, so maybe the university believes its worth looking into.
  #199   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-10, 10:49

Plan: EatRealFood!
Stats: 186/175/157 Female 68 inches
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 38%

poor bill...he looks like walking death to me...he looked much better when he did the south beach diet a few years ago...i feel sorry for him...
  #200   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-10, 15:58

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniMin
I saw on the news that the University of Oregon is using John McDougall's diet as part of their Health and Sciences cirriculum. I'm not sure in what context, if they are studying the effects of his diet or what, but its interesting that they are giving it valid consideration. The McDougall diet is extreme, it would be hard for the average person to stick to, but those that do stick to it have remarkable results in lessening symptoms of MS and heart disease, so maybe the university believes its worth looking into.

It's true McDougall is extreme but no more extreme than lc. I tried his diet and honestly did better weight and energy wise than i did on lc. My opinion is that neither extreme is as healthy as eating what your body asks for from the real whole food kingdom. There are people who do well on both extremes but they are few and far between.
  #201   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-10, 09:02

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Well said, AimeeJoi. I totally agree.
  #202   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 16:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I tried his diet and honestly did better weight and energy wise than i did on lc.

Why did you go off it?
  #203   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 17:24

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Why are people so attracted to extremes? There is a middle ground between ultra low fat vegan and zero carbs diet. I believe that ultra low fat vegan diets are unhealthy because of the lack of two essential macro nutrients, but why not add a little meat and a lot more fat.
  #204   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 21:28

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Why are people so attracted to extremes? There is a middle ground between ultra low fat vegan and zero carbs diet. I believe that ultra low fat vegan diets are unhealthy because of the lack of two essential macro nutrients, but why not add a little meat and a lot more fat.
Good point.
The evidence does not suggest our ancestors eating only meat or only plants (except a few rare tribes maybe, who had no access to plants). We ate both. Plus some nuts, berries, tubers etc.
  #205   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 01:06

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 420/275.6/189 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
Good point.
The evidence does not suggest our ancestors eating only meat or only plants (except a few rare tribes maybe, who had no access to plants). We ate both. Plus some nuts, berries, tubers etc.

They may have eaten tubers, nuts, berries later on in our evolution, but when you say something like that, people automatically assume "Sweet I can eat nuts, fruit, berries, tubers, and a little bit of meat and I'm set!"

While eating that way would be better than eating the SAD, it should be noted that the primary source (and preferred) of calories and nutrition came from meat
  #206   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 07:40

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Why did you go off it?

I don't think vegan is healthy. I do better on a near vegan/vegetarian diet but I don't see any reason to cut out meat or dairy entirely just to follow someone's plan. I crave meat maybe once a month and when I do I eat it. It's mostly fish that I crave. I eat cheese a few times a week and eggs maybe once a week. This feels good and natural to me. When I was doing lowcarb I always felt like I was forcing myself to eat meat even though it made me sick, when I tried vegan I was forcing myself not to eat animal products even though I wanted them and was constantly hungry. I feel so much better now that I eat what I want minus sugar and chemicals.
  #207   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 09:16

BF:

Thanks, AimeeJoi!
  #208   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 10:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenny
They may have eaten tubers, nuts, berries later on in our evolution, but when you say something like that, people automatically assume "Sweet I can eat nuts, fruit, berries, tubers, and a little bit of meat and I'm set!"

While eating that way would be better than eating the SAD, it should be noted that the primary source (and preferred) of calories and nutrition came from meat
I am not sure there is conclusive evidence towards that end. I think the evidence only shows that meat was definitely a part of the diet.

Plus I think that if people cut out all refined carbs, including grains and sugar, they can avoid most if not all of the harm. So they dont have to eat tons of meat.
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 10:37

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
I am not sure there is conclusive evidence towards that end. I think the evidence only shows that meat was definitely a part of the diet.

Plus I think that if people cut out all refined carbs, including grains and sugar, they can avoid most if not all of the harm. So they dont have to eat tons of meat.

Lucy’s Kin Carved Up a Meaty Meal, Scientists Say

Before the last 10 kya, the climate was colder and plants were not as readily available as they are now.

I definitely feel better with less plant matter in my diet. I cut grains, sugars and starches years ago. It wasn't until I cut back on the fruits and veggies that I began to feel much better. I don't need to eat a ton of meat, because meat is nutritionally dense. Price per pound ground beef from grassfed cattle is comparable to organic produce. But calories, macro and micro nutrients are much higher in the beef.
  #210   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 01:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13
Lucy’s Kin Carved Up a Meaty Meal, Scientists Say

Before the last 10 kya, the climate was colder and plants were not as readily available as they are now.
We evolved in the tropics, and then some tribes migrated to colder climates.
Also, thats just one media article. I have lots of others which conclude that we had substantial plants too. And some which conclude that we ate mostly if not only plants (but I am less inclined to believe those, just as I am less inclined to believe those who claim we ate only meat).

Quote:
I definitely feel better with less plant matter in my diet. I cut grains, sugars and starches years ago. It wasn't until I cut back on the fruits and veggies that I began to feel much better. I don't need to eat a ton of meat, because meat is nutritionally dense. Price per pound ground beef from grassfed cattle is comparable to organic produce. But calories, macro and micro nutrients are much higher in the beef.
I dont doubt that meat is more nutritionally dense. But almost all tribes substituted with plant matter. Some more, some less.