Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-13-15, 15:45
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default 70 Walk-Run

I just discovered that "Gym Logs" exist. Who knew?

For the past year I've been walking every day, not just a little bit, but aiming for 10,000 steps per day. Granted, most days I just made 3 miles, but some days as much as 5 miles.

This year I've walked:
2,831,411 steps
1,144.18 miles

Last November I decided it was time to hit the gym. I chose a Medicare Advantage plan which gives me two free gym memberships. One is Nifty After Fifty, which is where I do my strength training. The other is right around the corner and lets me use the treadmill indoors.

This week I decided to start easing into Walk-Run. At 70, it will take me some time to stretch the intervals into running, but if you don't try, you never know what you can do. "Should" is for sissies.

I have to be patient.

Last edited by bluesinger : Sun, Jun-07-15 at 13:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-14-15, 06:54
Doing My Best

Default Change in walking

This morning I embarked on a change. I fast walked for fewer minutes and cut my distance to 2 miles.

Until I get my heart-rate wrist monitor, I'm going to continue doing this. I could tell that my heart rate was higher, with no spikes. Don't want to stroke out.

Later today, I'll go to the gym, do some yoga stretches and my circuit.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 17:24
Doing My Best

Default Just because I haven't been here ~ doesn't mean I stopped walking.

Just because I haven't been here ~ doesn't mean I stopped walking.

When I first started the walk, run, walk, I didn't have my heart monitor and I also didn't realize I needed to take it slow. I've been doing short run spurts, building up to the actual recommended circuit.

Then I received my new monitor, which I love. It lets me know how many minutes out of my walk I spend in peak zone, fat burning zone and cardio zone. That's so helpful.

The new issue is rather embarrassing: My breasts need to be held down.
Yes, every silly joke you can think of is true. So this morning I went to the sporting goods store. Usually, I buy everything online, but this I had to actually try on. I made my purchase and tomorrow morning we'll see how it goes.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 11:39
Doing My Best

This morning I got serious with my new walk, run program. My fitness monitor told me that out of the 52 active minutes (2.86 miles) my heart spent 36 minutes in the peak (highest rate) zone, 12 minutes in the cardio zone and 25 minutes in the fat burning zone. I feel pretty good about that, but after the walk I felt weak. This was my third day in a row of 24-hr fasting (breakfast to breakfast) and I may have found my limit.

Peak zone

Peak zone, which means your heart rate is greater than 85% of maximum, is the high-intensity exercise zone. The peak zone is for short intense sessions that improve performance and speed.

Cardio zone

Cardio zone, which means your heart rate is 70 to 84% of maximum, is the medium-to-high intensity exercise zone. In this zone, you're pushing yourself but not straining. For most people, this is the exercise zone to target.

Fat Burn zone

Fat burn zone, which means your heart rate is 50 to 69% of maximum, is the low-to-medium intensity exercise zone and may be a good place to start for those new to exercise. It’s called the fat burn zone because a higher percentage of calories are burned from fat, but the total calorie burn rate is lower.

Last edited by bluesinger : Wed, May-27-15 at 11:40. Reason: took out links to pictures
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 12:09

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Years ago I starting logging both time and miles that I walked. I lived in a place where I could walk outside all year. I didn't measure steps but I had a 3 mile round trip and a 4 mile round trip mapped out. Then I decided that I would mark my distance on a map. So I walked from the Texas coast to Albuquerque, then to San Francisco and finally to Seattle. It added a little interest to the mix.

I am 73.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 12:58
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by omablue
Years ago I starting logging both time and miles that I walked. I lived in a place where I could walk outside all year. I didn't measure steps but I had a 3 mile round trip and a 4 mile round trip mapped out. Then I decided that I would mark my distance on a map. So I walked from the Texas coast to Albuquerque, then to San Francisco and finally to Seattle. It added a little interest to the mix.

I am 73.

Susan, that's just great. I found that by wearing my monitor, it keeps me motivated. I can see/tell when I'm making progress. Since I'm not losing weight, I need something to make me keep going.

You keep going too. Be an inspiration to us all.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 09:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You are amazing, Glenda (But I'm sure you already knew that) Now you've got me thinking about a gym membership.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 09:37
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
You are amazing, Glenda (But I'm sure you already knew that) Now you've got me thinking about a gym membership.

Thank you for dropping by and giving me such a nice compliment.

I don't use my gyms often enough, but I ALWAYS do the walk. I'm too lazy to let myself skip a day ~ that would be the beginning of a slippery slope.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 07:24
Doing My Best

Default 114 Degrees?

This is one of the hottest Junes I remember in Las Vegas, but this morning was the first time this year it was 94 degrees at 4am. Now THAT is a warm pre-dawn!

I wouldn't be able to handle the heat without these Cool Towels. Wow! It makes such a huge difference. If you exercise, especially if you're "older" please invest in one. We are particularly vulnerable as we age to temperature change, and we don't want to stroke out. Look at how skinny we're getting.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 13:10
Doing My Best

There is no more walk-run-walk for me until late Fall. I'm doing good to make a good-paced 2 mile walk instead of my regular 3 miles. I'm not going to beat myself up about it, as I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances.

I'm driving out to help DD with farm animals, and it is considerably cooler there. So I will have a break from the Vegas heat and maybe get a few more steps in for the time I'm gone.

This morning I hydrated very heavily before the walk, including two glasses of electrolyte water. I took a bottle of that with me and drank all of it while walking. With the cool towel on my head, it was fairly painless today. I'm fortunate that I live in the farthest SW corner of Las Vegas so the desert path is available to me. The concrete and pavement refuse to let go of the past day's heat. Can you say "oven?"
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 16:58

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:

Hi, Glenda. I found you over here sorta by accident. I'm an exerciser too (as you know) but don 't regularly check out the exercise threads.

114 degrees. Wow. I wouldn't dream of leaving the house under those conditions. I'm glad to hear about the cooling towels though. I'll check 'em out.

I went for a medium walk yesterday to the Art Institute to view their annual Art of the Car Concours. It's an outdoor show of cool vintage cars--a scholarship fund raiser. It wasn't that hot (80s I guess) but it was surprisingly strenuous to make the round trip. I am trying to renew my walking commitment, but mostly early in the day.

Hope the trip to help your daughter goes well.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 15:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 215/215/170 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Nifty after Fifty? Who do they pay to come up with these jingles?

Regardless, good for you and your walking. My grandpa walked as long as he could, he made it to 94. Although there is no "direct" evidence, his doctor suspected his longevity was due to his walking. It wasn't his diet, he ate Campbell's Soup almost exclusively and smoked a pack a day.

So, keep it up.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-16, 08:50
Doing My Best

There isn't much to report, as I'm still walking every morning. Just that now I'm older, the walk is 2 miles. Some days I leave the Fitbit on all day just to see how many steps I get in while shopping or cleaning house, and I usually get in at least 7,0000.

I noticed my back getting a bit stiff, so I've added my yoga back into the day. When I say "yoga" I don't mean 30 minutes in a class. I just have a short regime to twist my spine in all directions. I end with a plank. Yuck! Not easy, them planks!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 07:45
Doing My Best

The walk continues, along with the yoga stretching.

Today I added mini-trampoline. I was surprised that even with minimal bounce, my heart rate went up. Will need to take this slowly, adding minutes gradually or I'll hurt myself. Don't want that.

The bouncing is supposed to be good for all the interior organs and is supposed to cause the lymph system to pump instead of just sitting there.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 11:07

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:

Oh, I see you've found a mini-tramp. Is that at the gym, or did you round up one of your own? It really is surprisingly strenuous, even just a jog without lifting the feet. Good luck with that!