Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-18-17, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Is a fitbit Aria scale worth it?

My saga with the scale - after letting it control my life, I hid the damn thing. Turns out that for ME that is a big mistake. WITH a scale, I'm subject to daily mood swings depending its vagaries.. But WITHOUT it, I'm not accountable and my weight creeps up...and up. I have an ordinary bathroom scale right now that seems accurate and is fine, but I'm wonder if the Fitbit Aria will improve my results because of all the extra data.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 07:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you don't want to "let the scale control your life" again...then definitely do not get more data!

And while you are at it, "Take Off that Fitbit"

Great article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.a96b4dfaa34f

And https://intensivedietarymanagement....gy-expenditure/

Quote:
Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health

We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 liters (or quarts) of the stuff, and each liter weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2-liter range. Within this range, your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a liter above or below its ideal fluid level.

What this means is that we all live inside a 4-pound-wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (i.e., plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve ‘gained’ 3 pounds for no apparent reason.

For people who weigh themselves frequently, this can be maddening. There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weigh yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day, and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week (i.e., the average or mean of 7 values). If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new mean over the last 7 days. Each day you do this, you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation.

And of course, for [free] there’s an iPhone ‘App’ that will do this for you .

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (pp. 241-242). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:

Oh, but I love my fitbit! I'm not manic about it - but I'm such a slug that it is a little motivator to go out for a little walk if my steps are a bit lower than usual. For the record, I'm nowhere near the 10,000 a day, yet LOL
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 08:10
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

YNot - I think any scale that gives kind of consistent results is fine. I personally would not invest in a new scale if I had one that worked.

I have tried many different approaches to the weighing thing. And I've settled on weighing every day. Yep, it fluctuates. That's one reason I like the weekly weigh in over at TDC - because it can show trends. For me, I think it's too easy for me to close my eyes and suddenly be up 10 pounds, the weighing keeps me honest. It's just one of the many tools I use to show me the way.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 08:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNot
Oh, but I love my fitbit! I'm not manic about it - but I'm such a slug that it is a little motivator to go out for a little walk if my steps are a bit lower than usual. For the record, I'm nowhere near the 10,000 a day, yet LOL

OK, but don't risk your mental health with that thing either!
Like Casey I still weight everyday as my control but do the averaging Phinney mentions.
I use a simple little app called Happy Scale MYFitnessPal has progress reports you can create from the raw data too.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 08:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Whether or not a particular tool is worth having depends on how you use it. I don't generally need a scale as a motivator although it has been useful at some points on my journey, especially at the beginning. I also was able to lose 30 pounds in 2 years without even owning a scale and only found out how much I lost because I had a physical at my doctor's office, but that's me. I do own a scale now but haven't stepped on it for a while. Of course I have been eating this way for a long time so I am unlikely to go very far off plan.

On the other hand I really like my Fitbit. I don't consider it a weight loss tool but it does seem to motivate me to keep moving. I also take it off every now and again, sometimes for a week at a time, just so I don't become too attached to it. It is possible to become obsessed with it and perhaps at one point I was, but now it is just one of those things that help me stick to my fitness goals, helpful but not necessary.

In other words, all this technology can either help or hinder depending on how you use it. Ultimately your mind is what determines its utility.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 08:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I found my fitbit most helpful for figuring out what I was doing right to sleep deeply through the night and what was causing interrupted or short sleep cycles. I'd notice a difference if I forgot to take my magnesium before bed or let myself get too mad about some triviality.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 09:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I go by pants. That's what I care about, not how much the earth's core is pulling on my mass
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 09:31

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I go by pants. That's what I care about, not how much the earth's core is pulling on my mass
That's one method, but when I started on my LC journey I had to lose 40 pounds before I noticed much difference in how my pants felt. I would have given up and gained the weight back if I didn't have the scale to rely on! Even now, I've experienced some weight creep over the last 10 months since breaking my wrist, so last month got strict again. I'm down 15 pounds since then but my pants feel no different at all.

So the scale is necessary for me, but I just use a regular scale, nothing too fancy.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

LOL - well put, but until I get out of 'stretchy" pants that won't be very helpful. ALTHOUGH I'm wearing a pair today that I recall being a little snug the last time I put them on.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
That's one method, but when I started on my LC journey I had to lose 40 pounds before I noticed much difference in how my pants felt. I would have given up and gained the weight back if I didn't have the scale to rely on!.

Yep, I agree. Starting at over 300 pounds I'm not sure how many pounds actually makes a "size", so it could be a while. My current loss of something like 10 pounds isn't going to look like much, but for my skinny daughter it could be a whole size!
Edited to add, I just read TWO websites that say one "size" is 10 pounds. I haven't done the math, but that should put me in negative numbers by the time I hit goal.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 12:52

BF:

Quote:
Yep, I agree. Starting at over 300 pounds I'm not sure how many pounds actually makes a "size", so it could be a while. My current loss of something like 10 pounds isn't going to look like much, but for my skinny daughter it could be a whole size!

Exactly! I started out much higher than you did and had to be down almost 50 pounds before I was even reliably in a smaller size. Even down 100 pounds I'm still only down 2-3 sizes from my start! About 35-50 pounds per size, .
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 15:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Yeah, "Take off that FitBit!", just cut out those sugars and starches.

Exercise alone, or too many of the wrong calories is just going in the wrong direction. Sell the thing on eBay.

I use a $12 spring scale I bought on sale at my local HEB. I like it, it's big, it's accurate and easy to read even without my glasses -- not so with digital ones. Then there's the dying battery issue. How do I change it, I can't find the instructions? I always put receipts and instructions in the box -- who threw the box away?

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, May-19-17 at 15:47.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-19-17, 17:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I use a $12 spring scale I bought on sale at my local HEB. I like it, it's big, it's accurate and easy to read even without my glasses -- not so with digital ones.
I fo have a digital scale which is hard to read, but it's a "talking scale" and reads the weight aloud to me. My grandson was the one who picked it out, he loved the talking feature. Price was similar to others so I let him have his way, but I've found the feature pretty useful!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 06:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
LOL - well put, but until I get out of 'stretchy" pants that won't be very helpful. ALTHOUGH I'm wearing a pair today that I recall being a little snug the last time I put them on.

Debbie also makes a goid point about sizes. Feedback is important, but its a trendline, not a single data point, that matters. If a weight upswing makes you throw in the towel, or rationalize a carb binge because you can't see it on the scale the next day, it is not helping.